Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

finally got the damn thing out! All i did for the torque arm was get a lug wrech and beat it out, didn't take to much force and i was able to slide it right out. After that i went ahead and started lifting the car, i got it as high as my jacks would go then used my hoist to finish it off, it actually went pretty smooth. I also went ahead and seperated the trans from the motor, but how do i go about getting the flywheel and torque converter off of the motor? doesn't look like its bolted on but i could be overlooking it??? i really just need the converter off so if i can do that without taking the flywheel off too that would be great..

And i did end up using the chain hoist attached to my car port with 2.5 ton straps to hook it onto. it actually worked out very well, the metal framing didn't budge at all.

I was going to upload some pictures but for some reason photobucket isn't working...

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You will most likely need another set of hands to use a prybar to hold against the flexplate to keep that still while you loosen the torque converter. Or your assistant could use a breaker bar with the correct socket on the crank pulley and hold that while you loosen the flexplate/torque converter.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

LOL, your trans removal is a little out of order. you're supposed to unbolt the converter from the flexplate, then unbolt the trans and separate the trans from the engine with the converter still in the trans.
    When you reassemble, make sure you put converter back in the trans first and then mate the engine and trans together. It VERY important the converter is ALL the way into the trans also

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

lol i figured i did something wrong... It was about to start storming really bad here and i needed to get it all apart quickly so i could fit it through my shops door (i really need to install a wider door)

now that you said that though, what cammed goat said to do makes a little more sense to me, basically i need stop the motor from turning over while i unbolt the converter. I guess that will be my project for tomorrow, then start getting the engine bay ready to be repainted...

Thanks for all the help guys!!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    LOL, your trans removal is a little out of order. you're supposed to unbolt the converter from the flexplate, then unbolt the trans and separate the trans from the engine with the converter still in the trans.
    When you reassemble, make sure you put converter back in the trans first and then mate the engine and trans together. It VERY important the converter is ALL the way into the trans also
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx98Formula View Post
    lol i figured i did something wrong... It was about to start storming really bad here and i needed to get it all apart quickly so i could fit it through my shops door (i really need to install a wider door)

now that you said that though, what cammed goat said to do makes a little more sense to me, basically i need stop the motor from turning over while i unbolt the converter. I guess that will be my project for tomorrow, then start getting the engine bay ready to be repainted....

Thanks for all the help guys!!
    Good idea to replace the front pump seal now that you accidently removed the trans without unbolting the converter first. Not hard to do. But in my experiance it's good insurrance. If the seal is damaged you'll be doing a trany removel again.. As Cutlass said, it's very important to lock in the converter first before assembly. SLowly rotate the converter while applying light pressure. When the converter is aligned with the main pump it will slide into the trany further. Not making sure the converter is fully engaged with the pump can, and will destroy it if you try to run it. Again you'll be doing it all again, except this time you'll have even more trany work to repair a crushed/chewed up pump.. good luck
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-18-2010 at 02:58 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

i will definatly make sure i get the converter in there right!! I plan on replacing a few different seals while i have everything out so i'll add that one to the list. I have a slow oil leak coming from the front of the motor somewhere, looks like maybe from the oil pan seal.. I also plan on changing the tranny filter because who knows when or if that has ever been done, the tranny fluid was coming out pretty dark when i was removing everything.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

Hey can someone tell me where on the block to find the casting numbers to determine what year my motor is out of? I was told by the guy i bought it from that the motor was swapped for one out of another 98 trans am. My heads are 853's which i was just reading only came on the 99-00's..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

does this help you

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

will that number tell me what year the motor was made? I got my new engine harness in yesterday and it looks just like the old one. But like i said my motor has 853 heads on it but is supposed to be a '98.. I'm sure it doesn't make any difference i would just kind of like to know what year the motor actually is. Is there any sort of noticable difference between the 806 and 853 heads?

hopefully next years income tax i'll pick up a set of 5.3 heads send them off to lloyd elliot and get his LE2 heads/cam package. Still trying to decide if i want to do that or just get the prc 5.3 stage 2.5 heads..

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

Alright so i'm sitting here bored at work since for once we don't really have much going on.. I started doing some searching, thinking about maybe since i have the stock LS1 out already, maybe selling it and getting a 6.0l to swap in there. From what i have read it seems like a pretty easy swap, but i do have some questions before i make the decision to sell my LS1 and get a 6.0.

I was thinking about using the LQ4 block (seems like you can pick those up pretty cheap) would i be ok keeping the stock heads off of the LQ4 for now (i have 853's on the ls1 right now), will my LS6 intake manifold, headers, and 4l60e trans match up to the LQ4? Would i be able to use my stock ls1 pcm and wire harness or do i need all that from the lq4?

basically i need to know what all i can and can't use between the 2 motors, and what all i need to do to make the 6.0 fit into my 98 formula... This is basically something i am just thinking over right now, would it even be worth it to do this?

Thread Information