Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    I'm just trying to be a cop who speaks the truth. I'd rather mention it here and have someone realize that a radar detector isn't a guarantee and they drive with a bit more restraint. I don't get any joy out of someone making a bad decision and getting hefty fines, a suspended license, and hyper-expensive insurance premiums, when it could have been avoided.

They can choose who to believe here.

Have a nice day.
    Sorry, but I'm just a bit jaded on dumbass cops right now. I got nailed for my first ticket in 5 years and it was complete bullshit. Coming over a hill, I'm doing 5 over(75 in a 70) and I'm being passed by a Mercedes... Sure enough, at the bottom of the hill theres a cop... Mercedes slams on the brakes, sees the cop coming, and even fucking pulls over for him before he gets there... whats the cop do? Passes him by, chases me down, and pulls me over and gives me a ticket for going 14 over. I pointed out that the car next to me was traveling significantly faster than me, and he called me a liar. Fucking dumbass. That right there is proof of why cops judgment and "estimations" should hold no fucking water in court... if they can't even figure out which car they are pointing the fucking radar at, I have no confidence in them at all.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    Sorry, but I'm just a bit jaded on dumbass cops right now. I got nailed for my first ticket in 5 years and it was complete bullshit. Coming over a hill, I'm doing 5 over(75 in a 70) and I'm being passed by a Mercedes... Sure enough, at the bottom of the hill theres a cop... Mercedes slams on the brakes, sees the cop coming, and even fucking pulls over for him before he gets there... whats the cop do? Passes him by, chases me down, and pulls me over and gives me a ticket for going 14 over. I pointed out that the car next to me was traveling significantly faster than me, and he called me a liar. Fucking dumbass. That right there is proof of why cops judgment and "estimations" should hold no fucking water in court... if they can't even figure out which car they are pointing the fucking radar at, I have no confidence in them at all.
    I'm not going to argue against what you are saying because I wasn't there. You might be exactly right. Some cops aren't right for the job, and sometimes all of us (me included) make mistakes. I've tried to keep that to a minimum and make it right when I foul up, but I do know that many other factors come into play and until you do it for a living, it's hard to understand them.

I will say that a radar (Like a K-55) will normally pick up the FASTER of two vehicles travelling in close proximity of each other if they are close to the same size. In your case, the MB would have much more of a radar signature due to more metal, but that's why the ESTIMATE is needed. The faster car should have been ID'd by sight, THEN verified by RADAR. I haven't done radar in over sixteen years, but that's how I was trained to do it, and how I did it. Heard a lot of excuses too. I gave fifteen over, so you wouldn't even have met me under those circumstances, but do realize that even one mph over is a violation if you go by the letter of the law. Not saying I'd agree with ticketing for that, but it is the law.

Once again, a prime example of why radar detectors are useful, but not a guarantee.

Take care.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Not whammy bars, but VASCAR has been used for years (SHP mostly). Same premise, and when your speed gets identified to the tenth of a mph (like 87.6 mph), you are usually in deep do-do.
    Oh hell there is lots of ways to measure speed other than radar...but the plain old fact(s) are simple....
    1) Most States/Counties/Cities are broke as shit and cannot afford anything but what they have
    2) They have already equipped and trained all their force.
    3) Mebbe 1% of the folks on the road even have a radar detector. So the fact some of us has one isn't even a consideration.
    4)99%+/- a point (maybe) will have constant on K or Ka band. That is what we are protecting/monitoring on.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by taylorr12 View Post
    I have a Cobra and last year I bought a Cobra for my Bf, his has already went out and mine islike 1 year and is sarting to go out. My friends have bougt some form walmart and they work better and are cheaper. I think I paid 150$ for mine and 120$ for my Bf's.
    Cobra's are the worst performing radar detector on the market. Hands down. Google any testing and see for yourself. False alarming POS are Cobra's. Pay less and get more with Whistler.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Oh hell there is lots of ways to measure speed other than radar...but the plain old fact(s) are simple....
    1) Most States/Counties/Cities are broke as shit and cannot afford anything but what they have
    2) They have already equipped and trained all their force.
    3) Mebbe 1% of the folks on the road even have a radar detector. So the fact some of us has one isn't even a consideration.
    4)99%+/- a point (maybe) will have constant on K or Ka band. That is what we are protecting/monitoring on.
    No argument with most of that, but I just hate it that so many people put 100% in a radar detector. It breeds stupidity. They get so confident in it that they forego driving with any sense. God forbid they actually wreck, but these people putting the cruise on 100+ anywhere NEAR where I am do indeed deserve a damn night's stay at the gray bar motel.

I've always joked that the same people who design RADAR also design the detectors. They cash in on the "improvement" of both. Bastards.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Most of the guys I run with use them for two reasons....and I must state the guys I run with are mostly retired lawyers/doctors and I think we got a few business owners in there and are retired...run in AMG Mercedes/Ferrari's/Vettes shit like that....so we are not kids by any means....but I digress....
    Top two reasons to run a radar detector....
    1) You have the right as a citizen to know when you are under Police surveillance.
    2) Makes you more alert and aware.

I have a radar detector, but rarely ever speed. In fact I didn’t buy the thing to go speeding. I just like knowing when I’m being watched. It’s really a control thing.

Interesting story, a friend of mine was driving around and a police officer pulled him over, and proceeded to tell him he was speeding. My friend said, No! I was not speeding. The officer said, yes you were, I picked you up on radar. My friend said, no you didn’t, my radar detector did not go off. The officer then said good day, and left.

So I believe there are reasons to own one even if you don’t drive like a bat out of hell everywhere you go.

Off topic: jad628, how is the air filter working out? Have you had to clean it yet?

CompSyn

black
    99 Z28

Most of the guys I run with use them for two reasons....and I must state the guys I run with are mostly retired lawyers/doctors and I think we got a few business owners in there and are retired...run in AMG Mercedes/Ferrari's/Vettes shit like that....so we are not kids by any means....but I digress....
    Top two reasons to run a radar detector....
    1) You have the right as a citizen to know when you are under Police surveillance.
    2) Makes you more alert and aware.

I agree with ya sarge

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Oh and jad628...I appreciate you out there with the idiots.....I appreciate what you do man...and with integrity....good man.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

I've been hearing that the new Stalker 2 gun that is becoming popular is killer. No radar detector today is worth a shit against that thing.

Fire
    2002 SS

Chronic speeders know that you keep a sharp eye on the shoulders, stay outta the left lane, don't use your blinkers unnecessarily, don't make yourself brake in traffic [speed smoothly -fly low], scan your mirrors constantly for unmarked approachers, and use your detector with careful discretion. Always speed with courtesy. For those with automatics, a quick pull down from drive can slow you quickly without standing out too bad, but when it comes right down to it, you are better off with a nose dive on the brakes than whiz through a trap, even if you think you have already been clocked -React quickly with the brakes!
    Keep an eye on the oncoming lanes where there is no median fence where a cop can u-turn; the reason for a pack of cars might be that there's a cop leading or inside. Never speed when you have been drinking; you are much less likely to run into me or get pulled over.
    To answer the question: Hell Yes! Radar detectors do work, and you don't have to spend $400.
    Watch these videos: [sorry if a repost]
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...02514885833865
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...15912&q=&hl=en

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    Chronic speeders know that you keep a sharp eye on the shoulders, stay outta the left lane, don't use your blinkers unnecessarily, don't make yourself brake in traffic [speed smoothly -fly low], scan your mirrors constantly for unmarked approachers, and use your detector with careful discretion. Always speed with courtesy. For those with automatics, a quick pull down from drive can slow you quickly without standing out too bad, but when it comes right down to it, you are better off with a nose dive on the brakes than whiz through a trap, even if you think you have already been clocked -React quickly with the brakes!
    Keep an eye on the oncoming lanes where there is no median fence where a cop can u-turn; the reason for a pack of cars might be that there's a cop leading or inside. Never speed when you have been drinking; you are much less likely to run into me or get pulled over.
    To answer the question: Hell Yes! Radar detectors do work, and you don't have to spend $400.
    Watch these videos: [sorry if a repost]
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...02514885833865
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...15912&q=&hl=en
    I think I fit this category...
    Black 2000 Trans am WS.6, P&P MAF & TB, TB bypass, Fernco, Volant CAI, EGR! and AIR!, Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, QTP ORY W/Dual E-cutouts, Spec 3 clutch, RAM master and slave cylinders, 20% tint, 2 Alpine 10's/Rockford 1200amp, Pioneer head-unit, Corsa Clones, Metallic Silver Stripes, TTMs,

Navy Blue Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

http://radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=100542

The beltronics STI driver is supposed to be the best and undetectable from what I've read...I am getting ready to order one from crutchfield for $499. The valentine one is supposed to be just as good if you buy the extras for it which put it at like $540. Just repeating what I've read. I dont have any personal experience with them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    I have a radar detector, but rarely ever speed. In fact I didn’t buy the thing to go speeding. I just like knowing when I’m being watched. It’s really a control thing.

Interesting story, a friend of mine was driving around and a police officer pulled him over, and proceeded to tell him he was speeding. My friend said, No! I was not speeding. The officer said, yes you were, I picked you up on radar. My friend said, no you didn’t, my radar detector did not go off. The officer then said good day, and left.

So I believe there are reasons to own one even if you don’t drive like a bat out of hell everywhere you go.

Off topic: jad628, how is the air filter working out? Have you had to clean it yet?

CompSyn
    I cant see a cop being ok with that statement. Shit, if I was the cop all I would say "your detector didnt work." There ya go, you got yourself a bogus but hurtful ticket.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    I cant see a cop being ok with that statement. Shit, if I was the cop all I would say "your detector didnt work." There ya go, you got yourself a bogus but hurtful ticket.
    Yea, but the cop would have to have the recording of the radar reading in order to make the ticket stick... the guy called his bluff, the cop folded.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Yea, but the cop would have to have the recording of the radar reading in order to make the ticket stick... the guy called his bluff, the cop folded.
    Here in Iowa, the cop doesn't need to show u the radar to prove he got u on the gun. Stupid rule, but its the law. So its basically your word vs his, and guess which one is gonna hold up in court.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post

CompSyn

I'm very happy with all my Amsoil products! Haven't had to clean the air filter yet, but I probably will do so at the next oil change just to maintain a good routine.

I can understand wanting to know where the LEO's are with radar. In some ways, radar detectors can actually help to keep speeds at a reasonable level.

Of course, you know that it ain't that hard to match the right signals and have detectors going nuts when there ain't a cop within miles!!! Hmmmmmm....

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Oh and jad628...I appreciate you out there with the idiots.....I appreciate what you do man...and with integrity....good man.

Thanks Sarge, I appreciate that. Self-esteem got a little low yesterday.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

State laws and procedures differ greatly about that. Once again, I haven't written tickets in many years, but we had to give the driver the opportunity to "see" the reading. No recording, just the speed. We also had a switch on the K-55 that blanked out our speed that displays in moving mode.

Maybe the cop was bluffing in that case, but if someone told me that on a stop, I'd more than likely let them hold one, but then again I wouldn't be bluffing.

Which brings up a good point; there is a big difference between "innocence" and "not guilty". Innocent would be a person doing no more than 70 in a 70. A "not guilty" person would be someone who fights a ticket and wins, but could have very likely been hauling ass.

I'll call major BS on just about anyone - including myself - who says they never speed. Especially owners of LSx cars!!! And anyone who buys a radar detector and says they don't speed is really out of touch. Now I'll let you in on a little secret that works almost as well as a radar detector and I'll give this one for free:

Don't be the FASTEST car in the immediate area. That person/car is referred to as a "sacrificial lamb". Let that person/car pass you and stay a hundred or so yards ahead. Maintain a speed just under what they are doing and let them slowly pull away. When they get far enough ahead, chances are another one will have already gotten close to you and can take the place of the first one that is now too far ahead.

That strategy will save you with more certainty than ANY radar detector on the market (remember the VASCAR comments). Other than concentrated areas where chaser cars are utilized, it's almost always one LEO to one stop.

In a roundabout way it is the opposite of the old bear story; If you're in the woods with a group and a bear attacks, you don't have to be the fastest runner, just don't be the slowest.

Ponder that.
    Last edited by jad628; 12-09-2008 at 06:43 AM.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

I bought that $40 Cobra back when i got my car at Walmart. It does what it needs to. I got lucky i guess. I pick up cops on the highway from about 1 mile away. It has 360 degree single thing too. But it gives so many false alarms its not funny. ''Love the mute button''.. but ive been wanting a V1, but the $400 price tag makes me turn away.

But thanks to Sarge, my new item in my chart is the PRO-78.

But does anyone know what this model is? Is it a hardwire only, mount to the visor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882500032
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information