Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Anhydrous ethanol in the absence of direct exposure to alkali metals and bases is non-corrosive; it is only when water is mixed with the ethanol that the mixture becomes corrosive to some metals.

my arguement in a nut shell,ALL STORAGE TANKS CONTAIN LARGE AMOUNTS OF WATER! ALL fbod fuel systems are bare carbon steel.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

If that is true then the water and AL will separate from the gas and go to the bottom. I'm going to buy some E85 Mon. I will experiment with adding water and let you know.

Pewter
    2000 WS.6 T/A

in central america and parts of south america they are only paying about 12 cents per gallon... Some shit huh?

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Not true. Not even believable. two years ago ethenol in Brazil was $1.30

Yellow
    2005 GTO

I mixed 50\50 E85 in my 2000 SS Mon. I new when it made it to the injectors. serious hesitation at mid to high accel. Nothing noticeable at lower throttle positions. The PCM started adapting quickly. At 20 miles I increased the mix to 20\80 E-85. Same problems. Everything fine at lower power but when you floor it there was just very little power up top. My max HP felt like 4,000 RPM. Hesitation and stumbling at RPM over 4000. The CEL only came on at this 20\80 mix and only when I forced the lean condition by running WOT. I topped the tank off with gas. I think I am at a 60\40 mix gas\E85. The car runs normally. No problems and I expect the CEL to go off in the next day. It sucks that E85 is the same price here as gas. Gas mileage results coming in 5 days.

04 srt4 and 99 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by ericwilloughby
    I mixed 50\50 E85 in my 2000 SS Mon. I new when it made it to the injectors. serious hesitation at mid to high accel. Nothing noticeable at lower throttle positions. The PCM started adapting quickly. At 20 miles I increased the mix to 20\80 E-85. Same problems. Everything fine at lower power but when you floor it there was just very little power up top. My max HP felt like 4,000 RPM. Hesitation and stumbling at RPM over 4000. The CEL only came on at this 20\80 mix and only when I forced the lean condition by running WOT. I topped the tank off with gas. I think I am at a 60\40 mix gas\E85. The car runs normally. No problems and I expect the CEL to go off in the next day. It sucks that E85 is the same price here as gas. Gas mileage results coming in 5 days.
    Your my savior glad to see someone experiment. As I plan on it shortly in an SRT-4, since it is 105 octane i want to take advantage of this. Also in the south chicago burbs it is about 50 cents cheaper a gallon than 87 octane so i feel sorry for those guys where it is the same or more.

yer crazy

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

You think he was trying to break his crankshaft?

Crinkle, Crinkle

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Oh yeah, run WOT over-lean. The crankshaft will probably survive the hole in the piston.

Anyone wanting to run full out on high percentage alcohol mixtures should get bigger injectors and a full tune/reprogram. Or at least think about what happens to pistons when detonation starts before doing it.

--97T--

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

hmm, ive never heard of putting a hole through a piston, at most i'd expect destroy a ring. only dead motors i know what happened was the crank broke and in an old chevelle, the timing chain broke and the valve hit the piston, making the car have no compression.

oh yea, i had a friend that bought an SVT Lightning with 23000 miles modified, and wound up putting a pushrod through the oil pan. that was 3 days after he bought it, gotta love Ford Racing.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by goldfingerfif
    Your my savior glad to see someone experiment. As I plan on it shortly in an SRT-4, since it is 105 octane i want to take advantage of this. Also in the south chicago burbs it is about 50 cents cheaper a gallon than 87 octane so i feel sorry for those guys where it is the same or more.
    E-85 is the way to go. Why do water\al injection when you can put 15 gallons in your tank and it be .50 cheaper than gas? I see only 2 scenarios for use with E-85.

1. TURBO TURBO TURBO. All you have to do is turn up the boost. Especially if in an LS1 where you are starting off with 10.5-1 compression.

2. If it is cheaper than gas. And the money stays home. US It's only .25 cheaper in Nashville. They are already fucking us here in Louisville, KY. Same price.

As the other dudes were saying. You can use this stuff and explore the limits of your fuel system but you wont get far up the HP scale without spending some money on the fuel system.

Given time I wonder how well the PCM would adapt to mix of E85. I'll never know because is a way out of my way to fill up. And I don't know what is going to happen to the fuel lines and seals in the long term. And I don't have a turbo to utilize the stuff.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

I heard no detonation. I also run a 100 shot dry with no fuel mods. Full NOS as soon as the peddle hits the floor. It really cranks out the torque but by 4,000 the fuel is maxed out and I get no additional HP over stock. I wanted to raise fuel pressure but learned recently that the regulator is in the tank. Sucks. I have the wet portion of the kit. I really need to install that but I am on here instead. haha. Haven't blown it up YET. This car is much easier to put NOS on than my old 93 LT1. It backfired and blew plastic parts off the intake hoses when it went lean. It had this same NOS kit on it from 40,000 to 140,000 dry. It was still running great the day my girlfriend totaled it and it suffered lean NOS much more than this LS1.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Help me out. I want a a\f gauge. Cheap. Should I buy a $40 gauge or go for a $250 scanmaster? What else will it do? If I'm going to spend $250 should I just get HP tunners or LS1 edit?

Black
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 97PredatorTA
    I think that this E85 stuff is, or should be, the fuel of the future. While there are problems with out now, its still new technology. I think if we perfect this, we will be one step closer to not relying on fossil fuels. I think the world has to realize that we are running out of oil. Maybe not in x amount of years, but we will run out. And what then? I'm not saying we have to stop using gas tomorrow, but I think that while we still have oil readily available, we should really be reaserching alternative fuels. If not E85, then at least something else.

Another reason why I think E85 is that it still works with current technology. Its still a combustion engine, still gas stations, etc. Its not like we all have to buy hydrogen cars that no one will no what the f*ck is going on inside.

And with the price, its a renewable reseource that is still early in its technology, so I think it will definately go down. While gas on the other, probably wont go down in price.

And does anyone know if this stuff pollutes like normal gas?
    I am surprised that I havent seen anyone mention this about Hydrogen...... Did anyone here take chemistry and fill a balloon with a small amount of hydrogen and the put a burner under it???? What happened???? For those of you that dont know it was a very powerfull explosion. So lets get this straight..... Were going to be putting like 20 gallons of this crap in vehicles. Is anyone here smart enough to figure out what happens next after a serious car to truck rear-end accident??? Anyone within a 5 mile radius probably would be able to feel the heat from that explosion. On top of that, if 1/3 of the cars were like this, it would be a non-stop chain reaction of miniture H-Bombs.
    Before people start reaming me saying that theres a specific chemical process that must take place for that to happen, I know this, I majored in chemistry. But still, we are tempting fate for it to eventually happen. And if it only happens once it will still kill tens of thousands depending where it happens. Bottom line is E85 and Gas burn, Hydrogen explodes and under very little pressure let alone the pressure it takes to make it a liquid.

Black
    2002 Camaro

One more thing..... When gasoline was first being used for fuel, engines were lucky to get a 1/4 HP per cube, and here we are now making over 1 HP per cube. My point is that if E85 goes full scale wich it eventually will and should it would only be a matter of 4-10 years before you would start seeing vehicles getting 30-mpg on this stuff and you would be able to make 800+ horse from only 350 cubes for under $2000.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Here is the current gas mileage. Almost no change from gas. The HP is almost the same also. There will not be a big increase.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

If that is true then the water and AL will separate from the gas and go to the bottom. I'm going to buy some E85 Mon. I will experiment with adding water and let you know.
    Yep. This is 10% water added. 500 ml E85 50 ml water. As you can see there is 300 ml of al in the bottom. What really doesn't make sense is why isn't there 85% al and 15% gas. Are they screwing us at the pump?

If this were to happen at the filling station as some have suggested, you would notice that you are either pumping straight al or straight gas.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

This is off 60 Minutes within the last two weeks. It doesn't matter how this would translate into US dollars just compare the differnace between the two.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    i thought we were going to utilize the hydrogen in water? sounds plausible, only it would crash the market for fuel alltogether.

either way, id love to swap over to E85 myself. ive heard you will see a decrease in gas mileage, but you would still be saving money. watch them pull some shit in a few years when everybody switches over, "Due to the high demand of ethanol, we only expect to produce a blah amount of barrells."

Price goes up, people get pissed, Arabs laugh, we steal another country for oil, all is happy again.

we wouldnt be getting the hydrogen from the water for fuel cells, to break the hydrogen bonds in a water molecule would require a huge amount of energy

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Here is the current gas mileage. Almost no change from gas. The HP is almost the same also. There will not be a big increase.

where's the SS on the graph, would it screw up your Y axis?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information