Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Happy Meals

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I raise 6 kids, 2 are mine and my wife, the other 4 are my nephews and niece (<<long story don't care to discuss)

17, 3x15, 11, 6 yr olds

Rules in my house:

1) My house, I pay for it and everything else in it. My house
    2) Don't like my rules, Tough shit, when you turn 18 and make your own living you can make your own rules - In your own house.
    3) Play at lease 60 mins a day outside in some type of sporting activity. No sitting on your butt watching grass grow.
    4) Homework/studying first, then play, then watch TV - if there's time
    5) No game station until weekend and that's only if all choirs are done, Sun night off NLT 8pm .
    6) No maid service here; clean up after yourself and do your own laundry.
    7) Complaints see Rule 1 & 2

All the teens are in Honors classes and haven't had any discipline problems. My 11 yr old nephew is feeling his oats out and is learning the hard way but still is a good kid. My girl, well, what can you say she's a girl and is 6 (PITA, not looking forward to teens with her )
    You better beat that out of her.

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

oh i can see it now, a law to ban toys in cereal boxes

Impounded
    gmcheviac

or cartoon mascots/vivid colors on cereal boxes

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    or cartoon mascots/vivid colors on cereal boxes
    God forbid "Tony the tiger" make some kid fat cause his parents lacked the willpower to tell his little ass "NO!" like I have to do 50x at the grocery store.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BdAsBrd01 View Post
    God forbid "Tony the tiger" make some kid fat cause his parents lacked the willpower to tell his little ass "NO!" like I have to do 50x at the grocery store.
    lol in the short time i lived with my dad at age 5/6 when i tried to pull that he would just tap on his belt buckle and say 'dont make me say no again'...

but i'm sure in california it's illegal to whip your kid so my point is moot i suppose..

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    lol in the short time i lived with my dad at age 5/6 when i tried to pull that he would just tap on his belt buckle and say 'dont make me say no again'...

but i'm sure in california it's illegal to whip your kid so my point is moot i suppose..

Reminds me of my Dad he whipped me once with his belt and that was it my entire life. But everytime i acted out all he had to was act like he was gonna hit me with it and you better believe i stopped right then and there.

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post

Probably illegal to even give them "the look". I swear my mother could give "the look" from across the road and I knew to stop whatever I was up to.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BdAsBrd01 View Post
    Probably illegal to even give them "the look". I swear my mother could give "the look" from across the road and I knew to stop whatever I was up to.
    Im twice the size of my mom and she can still give the look and stop me dead in my tracks. Hell my older brother is bigger then me and he wont mess with her.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Reminds me of my Dad he whipped me once with his belt and that was it my entire life. But everytime i acted out all he had to was act like he was gonna hit me with it and you better believe i stopped right then and there.
    that's the trick to it.....I rarely have to whip my kids but they know that I'll do it so normally I just tell them if they don't stop doing whatever they're doing I'm gonna bust their ass and that usually takes care of it. I do have to give them a refresher course from time to time but really it's pretty rare. My wifes a yeller....she'll just yell at them and it has little to no effect (my mom was a yeller). I don't yell....if I've told them to knock it off once and they keep going I get up and bust ass.

Black
    2005 GTO

First what total BS. I hope all three officals that voted for this get thrown out of office.

Second is it the happy meal itself that is illegal or just the toy? Can they still sell happy meals without the toy? Granted most kids want the toy but just from that short clip I gather they can still sell the happy meal. Also what is considered a toy by that gov? Could they just start putting a super miniature, football,soccer,volley,tennis,baseball in there that kids can kick/throw with there fingers and not call it a toy as its a form of exercise? I guess I would like to see the actual written law and all the bs that is in it. I'm sure if anyone can find a way around this it is MCdonalds. Also I am no legal expert but can't the fast food industry take this to court to have it overturned?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

all this talk of high fat/high calorie foods has made me hungry.....I think McDonald's might still be open too. I also think they switch over to serving breakfast at some retarded hour like 11pm or something like that. Angus burger > breakfast

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    so it is in the best interests of everyone (in terms of personal health, national security, and one's wallet) to find some way to change the dietary habits of our culture.
    1milecrash nothing personal but that statement really scares me. There are a lot of politicians (and other people) that have the same thinking. I DO NOT want the govt. deciding what is in my best intrest. I know they do already, but this is getting very personal (micro-managing).

FYI I have 3 kids. The oldest is UNDER weight. He has to take meds for other issues and it makes him not want to eat. Our middle is right where he should be if not a little under. And our youngest is a little on the thin side. We eat out a lot.

I would be more willing to accept a law that punished the parents of VERY over weight children. Similar to malnourished kids. Instead of law that punishes a company that offers a product that some people abuse.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash
    so it is in the best interests of everyone (in terms of personal health, national security, and one's wallet) to find some way to change the dietary habits of our culture.
    If you want to change our culture eating habits start making healthy food cheaper. Healthy foods in the store are ridiculous.

$1.00 menu (ea) = cheeseburger, 4 chicken nuggets, sm fries, soda etc...

Healthy food for a $1.00 = non existent

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yep, most places charge more if you want to eat healthy, it's ridiculous.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    1milecrash nothing personal but that statement really scares me. There are a lot of politicians (and other people) that have the same thinking. I DO NOT want the govt. deciding what is in my best intrest. I know they do already, but this is getting very personal (micro-managing).

FYI I have 3 kids. The oldest is UNDER weight. He has to take meds for other issues and it makes him not want to eat. Our middle is right where he should be if not a little under. And our youngest is a little on the thin side. We eat out a lot.

I would be more willing to accept a law that punished the parents of VERY over weight children. Similar to malnourished kids. Instead of law that punishes a company that offers a product that some people abuse.
    that's exactly what i'm saying as well here. people want accountability and punishment for negligent parents who get their kids fat and obese by feeding them a steady diet of junk food and fried foods, yet they don't want "government interference" in the way that they live. well...this is a prime example of how you can't have both. if you want accountability and punishment then you need laws enforced by government agencies be them local police or county or state health officials.

my g/f and i were talking about this the other day as well and she said the same thing that someone else here said. she works at culvers and they hand out balls and frisbees for their toys. if mcds and bk and the like were to provide balls and other outdoors active toys then there wouldn't be a problem. the toys that are in the kids meals in most fast food joints aren't highly active toys though...meaning that they don't encourage kids to be active outside but rather less active inside.

i don't think that there's anything wrong with a law that states that a parent will get a fine for negligence or bodily harm to a minor if their child is fat or obese and it can be shown that they are feeding them a steady diet of deep fried fatty foods. you can't go into a bar with your 8 year old and order them a beer and you can't give your 8 year old a pack of cigarettes. both would face legal consequences of harm to a minor. i think that we are finally seeing a recognition that steady diets of high fat fast foods have the potential to be just as harmful as controlled substances except that their dangers take longer to manifest themselves.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Yep, most places charge more if you want to eat healthy, it's ridiculous.
    Its cheaper to make and produce unhealthy foods then it is for healthy items. Especially for fast food places since the healthy stuff has a slow sale rate and is taking up their space that would otherwise be used for the regular crap. So they have to order less each time and have to have it shipped more often raising the transportation costs. So they just push the higher expenses onto the buyer of the healthy stuff.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

It's true. I spend a ridiculous amount of money at the grocery store each week to feed two people. If we were to just eat fast food every day, we'd save a fortune. We'd be fat and unhealthy, but, we'd be rich

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

gebus........

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information