Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by andrew rs View Post
    There's a time frame as to when people KNOW when this shit supposedly went down? I haven't read the bible in quite some time but, iirc this (fictional) book never said when the flood happened... just sayin'.

Also, Im wondering where that holy grail is? didnt they find that a few times?

AAAANNNDD, any one else wonder how long the christians have been harboring child molesters?
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    catholics, not all christians support those pieces of shit.
    sorry... the "church" I stand corrected. But dont most other "christian" religions see the pope as the head of the whole shindig? I know the lutherans do, and I believe episcopalians??
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    not methodists, we don't have a "leader" in the sense the catholics do. I don't go to church or really give a shit, but don't lump all christians in with the likes of the catholic clergy
    weerrd. your probably right. Catholics are the first thing that comes to mind when ppl think "Christian". I guess I did that too without thinking.
    hmm also think about this, mennonites,amish,baptists,and many other christian groups have no affiliation to the catholics nor conceder the pope their leader. Here is some more food for thought. when the jews was sick of their leaders they divided forming different christian religeons. Baptists being one, in fact John the Baptist was called that because he formed or helped form the baptist form of Christianity. He also was the cousin of Jesus and baptised Jesus. If you want to get technical Jesus was a baptist.

To me carbon dateing means jack crap. it was founded by men and men are fallable. I swear if God himself would come down and tell you all that this was the Noahs arc and some scientist told you it wasn't you would believe the scientist,even though he/she is a human and most likely wrong.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Oh yeah they def have a good idea when the stories in the bible took place and there is solid evidence to back it up. The problem is carbon dating can only give a general time frame give or take a few hundred to a 1k years or more depending on what they are looking at. So until our "evangelical" scientists provide people other then their own who have looked at and carbon dated the items themselves I wont be inclined to believe shit they say.
    Ramen! FSM FTMFW!

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    so, your prime source is the "sun", and their prime source is a "group of evangelical archaeologists"...
    But Fox News reported it as well! That must mean it's true!!!

Right?

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Both articles have a picture of a guy supposedly inside a chamber of this ark.

I'd like to see more pictures of it, whatever it is.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    Both articles have a picture of a guy supposedly inside a chamber of this ark.

I'd like to see more pictures of it, whatever it is.
    Be patient my son. It takes time to properly stage these things...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    But Fox News reported it as well! That must mean it's true!!!

Right?
    YO! I gotta bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the guys who discovered the ark are also the guys that had bigfoot in a freezer a few years ago.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

The National Geographic video referred to other is a video that goes along with Pitman and Ryan's study which gives evidence to some common flood event that would have occurred at the Bosporus Straight where the Mediterranean burst into the Black Sea (the rushing salt water from the Mediterranean mixed with the Fresh water lake thus causing the bottom layer of the sea to become oxygen depleted and killing all living creatures in it.) Their study hypothesizes that the rushing water would have created a massive flood which then led to a dispersion of the colonies which had settled along the Black Sea. This dispersion would have been the beginnings of the cultures which later carried on the great flood traditions of the Bible, the Gilgamesh Epic, and others. In fact, Robert Ballard (guy who found the Titanic) found evidence of ancient settlements along the ancient shoreline back in 2000 (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...0blacksea.html).

By the way, this happens to be part of my Master's Degree. I taught Religious Studies for many years with a specific focus in the Old Testament- namely focusing in Genesis and cosmological origins. I am a man of faith but also a man of reason. Many of the early stories help us to understand much more about ourselves and when we begin to focus on the factuality of stories which we are culturally and chronologically separated from, we miss the point and end up becoming the focus of doubt and ridicule. There, my .02 worth- I'm going back to the Funny Pics thread- I hear it's getting good.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

The Ark has long been thought to be on top of Mt. Ararat. Shit I remember Leonard Nemoy doing a complete "In Search Of" show on it back in the 70s. That show had better picures of it too. Outside photos were of a long high rectangular wooden box wedged into the moutain with glacier ice covering half of it. The Turksh Gov't shut down any closer exploration until now I guess.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

BOW DOWN TO YOUR GOD

Bright Red

There has always been speculation, but no real definitive proof, that the Ark rest in the Ararat Mountain Range. The biblical, Babylonian and Sumerian flood narratives all point to a similar location, but technically its a mountain range, not a single mountain. The Turkish government only makes matters worse by creating this cloud of secrecy instead of allowing real archaeologists to do their jobs. This story is nothing buy hype IMHO. The Turkish government will NEVER allow evangelical Christian "archaeologists" to dig-period. This story will only drum up superstition against the Turkish government for trying to "hide the truth".

Here's a bit of trivia for you: In Egyptian Mythology there is no catastrophic flood narrative unlike most cultures around the world. Why? Simple: the Egyptians were dependant upon the Nile flooding in order for the banks to remain fertile. If it didn't flood, famine occurred. Unlike everyone else, Egyptians hoped for floods!

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by Aetos View Post
    BOW DOWN TO YOUR GOD

Click for full size
    Ahhh... the Flying Spaghetti Monster... classic... http://www.venganza.org/

Black
    2001 WS6

I remember a few years ago hearing about this, but that the remains were on a mountain that was controlled by the turkish govt. (?). And that they wouldnt let anyone on it. I tried searching for the pics but couldnt immediately find them. They showed some sort of objects sticking out of the ground. I think this is pretty intersting. subscribed. Also, I was brought up catholic my whole life, did the whole catholic school from 1st grade to 12th bla bla bla. Anyway, I think religion and science coincide. That there are physical explanations for everything. That the bible is not to be taken literally, but symbolicly. For instance, when moses parted the sea, that he didnt just "part the water", but that it was probably a low tide and that they were able to cross. So when the bible was written, it was...not exadurated (spelling i know), but a little hyped up. So coming to noah's ark, I think what happend was that there were alot of animals on the arc, and over the thousands of years, animals have evolved. And as far as noah and his family. Families back then were different than now. They were much larger, or could have been a group of people known together as a family. Something along those lines. It might not have been just all blood related.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    hmm also think about this, mennonites,amish,baptists,and many other christian groups have no affiliation to the catholics nor conceder the pope their leader. Here is some more food for thought. when the jews was sick of their leaders they divided forming different christian religeons. Baptists being one, in fact John the Baptist was called that because he formed or helped form the baptist form of Christianity. He also was the cousin of Jesus and baptised Jesus. If you want to get technical Jesus was a baptist.
    If you want to get technical, Jesus was a Jew and his disciples were Jews.

It was until after Jesus' death that Paul convinced people that you did not have to be a Jew to be a disciple of Jesus, thus Christianity was founded.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

why does a man from the middle east have a spanish name?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Or why does a man of Spanish decent have a middle eastern name???

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post

To me carbon dateing means jack crap. it was founded by men and men are fallable. I swear if God himself would come down and tell you all that this was the Noahs arc and some scientist told you it wasn't you would believe the scientist,even though he/she is a human and most likely wrong.
    Actually... John the Baptist was called the Baptizer because he used an ancient purity ritual which was later called Baptism. The Christian Baptist church didn't come around for another 1600 years. John was most likely of a group called the Essenes- a radical Jewish sect that practiced ritual purity strict interpretation of the scripture. The Dead Sea Scrolls, found outside the ruined city of Qum'ran, were written by an Essene community which had escaped been living there for many years prior to the Roman occupation of Jerusalem in the early 1st Century BC. John most likely had been a member of the Essene community (there is no evidence that he was ever at Qum'ran) and lived in the wilderness to practice it devoutly. Above all else, he was a Jew, from a Jewish family, living in a Jewish land, practicing a Jewish faith, along side his Jewish cousin (Jesus)- he was not in any way a Baptist in the Christian sense of the term.

Okay... I'm going to have to get out of this thread... you guys are making me dust off a degree I haven't used in almost a decade!

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    Actually... John the Baptist was called the Baptizer because he used an ancient purity ritual which was later called Baptism. The Christian Baptist church didn't come around for another 1600 years. John was most likely of a group called the Essenes- a radical Jewish sect that practiced ritual purity strict interpretation of the scripture. The Dead Sea Scrolls, found outside the ruined city of Qum'ran, were written by an Essene community which had escaped been living there for many years prior to the Roman occupation of Jerusalem in the early 1st Century BC. John most likely had been a member of the Essene community (there is no evidence that he was ever at Qum'ran) and lived in the wilderness to practice it devoutly. Above all else, he was a Jew, from a Jewish family, living in a Jewish land, practicing a Jewish faith, along side his Jewish cousin (Jesus)- he was not in any way a Baptist in the Christian sense of the term.

Okay... I'm going to have to get out of this thread... you guys are making me dust off a degree I haven't used in almost a decade!

On a show I watched earlier this year they was saying that before Jesus died that there was many jewish people that was fed up with the leaders and broke off into different forms and John the baptists formed or helped form the Baptists. Jesus was Baptised by him and joined that faith. They could be wrong though,I am just going by what they are saying that they discovered.

Bright Red

There were a number of sects that had formed and some took to different spiritual leaders more than others. In fact, Dr. James Tabor was part of a team that discovered and excavated a cistern just outside of the Jerusalem walls that had been occupied by early Christians who were were very devoted to John the Baptist (here's an article). The last time I spoke with Dr. Tabor was seven years ago when they were deep in the analysis of the findings and it was some really amazing stuff.

The Baptist church was founded in the early 1600's as a product of the English Seperatist movement. Most trace it to 1609 to a church in Amsterdam with John Smyth as their pastor. The view that the Baptist church has existed since the time of Christ as a separate group from Catholics (referred to as perpetuity) was common up until the early 20th century and is even still held by some extremely evangelical Baptists. This is not the view that is taught in most Baptist seminaries.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Another good article on the subject.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04...est=latestnews

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information