Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices!!!

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    When your talking 50 bucks to fill it up, what another 2 or 3 bucks to run the good stuff?

Just drink ONE less beer at the bar to make up the difference.
    My thing is, there seems to be no end it sight in regards to these escalating gas prices. A couple bucks might not be a big deal now but what about when it's $100 or $200 or more for a fill up?

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    My thing is, there seems to be no end it sight in regards to these escalating gas prices. A couple bucks might not be a big deal now but what about when it's $100 or $200 or more for a fill up?
    It's already like that for me when I fill the truck up,,,,40 gallon gas tank

I don't worry about it. It is what it is. Probably won't change so we all just have to suck it up and deal with it,,,,or ride a bicycle

Red
    2002 Camaro SS/SLP

When your talking 50 bucks to fill it up, what another 2 or 3 bucks to run the good stuff?

Just drink ONE less beer at the bar to make up the difference.
    To fill my Silverado up, 26 gallon tank its like $5.20 more for 94 octane over 87 octane. I don't have a problem with that. I don't like paying $4.20 a gallon but if I want to drive it from time to time I have to pay that price. The problem that I was trying to get across was with the high gas prices not as many people are buying 94 octane (not many bought it before) so I'm saying the gas has to be getting old sitting their in the ground waiting for someone to buy it. I was just trying to get across that you may get some bad gas if you buy high octane gas. That's why I was looking into octane boosters. I live out ine the middle of no where, just small country heck towns around me. Their is a Sunoco station just 5 miles away but I can tell you that the 94 octane button hardly ever gets pushed!

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by warper View Post
    Here are some should know facts before you vote. Very interesting since we are always blaming GW for the way things are now! Don't want to offend anyone, but feel compelled to share.

Part 1:

In just two years? Remember the elections in 2006?

Thought you might like to read the following:

A little over one year ago:

1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2-1/2 year high;

2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;

3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we have seen:

1) Consumer confidence plummet;

2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $3.50 a gallon;

3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);

4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund loss es);

5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;

6) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it!

Remember it is Congress that makes law -- not the President. The President has to work with what's handed to him.
    Priceless ! Can you believe that there are still some poor blind fools around here still being led around my the rhetoric Bush Chaney & Rowe put out for the last 6 years ?
    What cave have you been living in all this time .

Quote Originally Posted by stomperz71 View Post
    To fill my Silverado up, 26 gallon tank its like $5.20 more for 94 octane over 87 octane. I don't have a problem with that. I don't like paying $4.20 a gallon but if I want to drive it from time to time I have to pay that price. The problem that I was trying to get across was with the high gas prices not as many people are buying 94 octane (not many bought it before) so I'm saying the gas has to be getting old sitting their in the ground waiting for someone to buy it. I was just trying to get across that you may get some bad gas if you buy high octane gas. That's why I was looking into octane boosters. I live out ine the middle of no where, just small country heck towns around me. Their is a Sunoco station just 5 miles away but I can tell you that the 94 octane button hardly ever gets pushed!
    I understand the theory here,,,,but I've been buying 94 sunoco for more than 25 years, I still currently run it in 6 different cars now,,,I've never had a bad tank of it and don't really fear that I ever will I honestly don't think it's anything to worry about.

Junior Member Team Ramrod Customs's Avatar

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    once your paying $4/gal regardless, whats another 20 cents? im just waiting for someone to explain to me why we are paying more and more for gas even though our supply has increased.
    My name is Todd and I have a Bachelors of Science in Political Science and Law & Society, so I think I can answer your question. It's actually basic economics. You see our demand for gasoline is ever increasing; however our supply is not, which causes costs to increase. If we did however began to substantially use alternative fuels, alternative being anything other than something petroleum based, then our demand for gasoline would decrease, causing the price to decrease. The supply of gasoline would not increase to the effect that more is being produced, but more would be available then is being sold, which lowers prices.

As a side note: When considering why gas prices have increases, let us not solely focus on the president or congress, but also consider events around us. Katrina destroyed large oil rigs that generated large amounts of oil, which lead to increases in gas prices almost overnight. Even though it is true that a large percentage of our oil comes from overseas the loss of the oil caused by the damage of Katrina was substantial enough to affect us. This was caused by a decrease in the supply but a steady demand.

If anyone has would like me to go into further detail or answer any other questions, I would be happy to do so to the best of my ability.

Black
    2000 Z-28

You're from WV and received your bachelors degree?? haha j/k

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

You're from WV and received your bachelors degree?? haha j/k
    Yeah, but I'm not a true southern West Virginian. I actually live less then 1 mile from the Maryland boarder, near Cumberland, MD. LOL

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Team Ramrod Customs View Post
    Yeah, but I'm not a true southern West Virginian. I actually live less then 1 mile from the Maryland boarder, near Cumberland, MD. LOL
    Oh ok well I'll let you slide then...haha

artic white
    1998 z28

my Z only takes 91 octane and as long as i have a job i will treat her with it.

white

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    i'm almost considering putting a lower grade in with some octane booster
    same thing..lol stick with premium

Red
    1994 Z28 Camaro

I wish I was paying under $5 a gallon. Come across the pond to the UK and you’re looking at over $8 a gallon and they predict it to be at $12 by the end of the year. I don't care if it was $20 a gallon I would still pay it.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck0379 View Post
    I wish I was paying under $5 a gallon. Come across the pond to the UK and you’re looking at over $8 a gallon and they predict it to be at $12 by the end of the year. I don't care if it was $20 a gallon I would still pay it.
    ouch, man that hurts... plus you pay a pretty good size tax per year for the larger displacement engine too don't you?

Black
    2000 Z-28

If it hits $20 a gallon I may drive my car like once a month...lol

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

If it hits $20 a gallon I may drive my car like once a month...lol
    I would probably drive mine once a week, but that would hurt. Oh well my other car is a 2001 Toyota Celica GT and it gets 43 on the highway and 37 around town

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by stomperz71 View Post
    Well, I was talking a 12 or 13 gallon fill up, which is typical for an F-Body.

And as long as the spread between grades stays the same at ten cents or so (what it is generally in my area) the price difference will still be the same. Even 10/gal for regular vs. 10.20 for 93 is still only a 2.60 difference for 13 gallons.

Why are you putting 94 in your Silverado anyway? I'm pretty sure the trucks are designed to run on 87, so running 94 is basically throwing money away. Despite what people may hear or think, running higher octane fuel than required has no benefit.

And as far as gas sitting for a long time, I doubt that's a factor, unless you buy gas from a station in the middle of nowhere. There aren't separate tanks for each grade of gas; there's a regular tank and a premium tank. The different grades are mixed at the pump fro mthe two tanks. So, as long as people still buy 89 and 91, the premium tank is still going to need a frequent topping off.

If this is still a concern, buy from a busy station.

Why are you putting 94 in your Silverado anyway? I'm pretty sure the trucks are designed to run on 87, so running 94 is basically throwing money away.
    I have to run high test in my truck. A 79 454 1 ton that I use to tow a 10,000 lbs. trailer. There is even a factory sticker on my air cleaner that states nothing less than 91 octane should be used.
    Pulling all that weight is a huge load, I won't chance it with mine anyway.
    With a 40 gallon tank it's a rather pricey fillup

Red
    1994 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    ouch, man that hurts... plus you pay a pretty good size tax per year for the larger displacement engine too don't you?

My tax is about the same as my wife's ford focus ($200 a year). They mostly hate the rich people with 4x4's or luxury cars. I get about 115 miles to a tank in town and 240 on highway, but it also takes 1 hour to drive 14 miles into London. Premium is 97 octane too.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck0379 View Post
    My tax is about the same as my wife's ford focus ($200 a year). They mostly hate the rich people with 4x4's or luxury cars. I get about 115 miles to a tank in town and 240 on highway, but it also takes 1 hour to drive 14 miles into London. Premium is 97 octane too.
    what is the tax on the gas? In my town 91 is the highest octane.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have to run high test in my truck. A 79 454 1 ton that I use to tow a 10,000 lbs. trailer. There is even a factory sticker on my air cleaner that states nothing less than 91 octane should be used.
    Pulling all that weight is a huge load, I won't chance it with mine anyway.
    With a 40 gallon tank it's a rather pricey fillup
    Oh ok, gotcha. I was thinking you had a newer, LSX powered truck.

I tend to just think of the older trucks as K10,20,30.

I used to have a '73 K10 Cheyenne shortbed, I really miss that truck. It had a mild 350 in it, I used to run 89 in it. With 35" tires and 3.73's (and a Holley 4bbl!) I got a whopping 7mpg with it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information