Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

well i have had one beer so far......waiting for some girl to call me.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    So lately every night i have been getting shit faced, i mean drunk as hell. Now i don't go with the intention of drinking, but i am sitting at home and a beer sounds good and from there it keeps going. I've been drunk as shit at work, but i still function and get everything i need to get done. Somebody told me i have been drinking too much, am i an alcoholic? This has been going on for weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    everybodies been to work hungover, at least once
    True...but that's not a hangover and that's why I separated the two.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Yea. After my friend died a couple of years ago it was pretty much fall asleep drunk a lot...

No point in wasting away money when you could be throwing that at something productive..

BTW I do think an alcoholic is someone who is over 40 and drinks daily...... ex... my dad and uncle... but thats another story.... but i think we have been there at some point..

Going to work drunk says to me "Your a fucking idiot..." but I get shipped out in handcuffs in i do that at work.. I dont know your job so I cant really say much(federal facility that deals with explosive is where i work)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Yea. After my friend died a couple of years ago it was pretty much fall asleep drunk a lot...

No point in wasting away money when you could be throwing that at something productive..

BTW I do think an alcoholic is someone who is over 40 and drinks daily...... ex... my dad and uncle... but thats another story.... but i think we have been there at some point..

Going to work drunk says to me "Your a fucking idiot..." but I get shipped out in handcuffs in i do that at work.. I dont know your job so I cant really say much(federal facility that deals with explosive is where i work)
    I don't agree with that. Tons and I mean tons of people don't drink just to get drunk. As long as you're not getting sloppy drunk every day I don't see a problem with someone having a few beers after work. Hell, I wouldn't mind having a few everyday. Probably make me sleep better. but I've already addressed the reason I drink.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I don't agree with that. Tons and I mean tons of people don't drink just to get drunk. As long as you're not getting sloppy drunk every day I don't see a problem with someone having a few beers after work. Hell, I wouldn't mind having a few everyday. Probably make me sleep better. but I've already addressed the reason I drink.
    I also dont agree with age being a factor. Addiction doesnt pick favorites lol Thats a pretty stupid thing to say imo. you could be 16 and be an alcoholic or 75. doesnt matter.

I agree with Orion in that having a drink everyday doesnt mean you are an alcoholic. Getting wasted everyday does.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

I agree with Orion in that having a drink everyday doesnt mean you are an alcoholic. Getting wasted everyday does.
    I disagree.

I honestly think it has all to do with WHY you are drinking, not how much or how often.

That, and the ability to STOP drinking on your own.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    I disagree.

I honestly think it has all to do with WHY you are drinking, not how much or how often.

That, and the ability to STOP drinking on your own.
    so someone that has a glass of red wine every night to keep their cholesterol in check is an alcoholic?

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Um, no. That was part of my point...

Its the WHY. And they could easily skip a night here and there.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

For example:

I win the lotto.

I spend the next 3 months partying hard and getting hammered day in and day out. After 3 months, then fun wears off, and I lay off. Was I an alky for those 3 months? I don't think so.

example 2: I don't win the lotto, I bust my ass off for 30 years and still am nowhere in the world, so instead of thinking about how crappy my life is compared to my asshole college buddy who won the lotto, I start hitting the bottle every night after I get off of work. Then, I start hitting it at work because just being there reminds me of how shitty my life is. Then I get fired for being drunk at work, and I stop paying my rent and electric so I can buy more booze and get fired from every new job after a week or two.

THATs an alky right there.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

so someone that has a glass of red wine every night to keep their cholesterol in check is an alcoholic?
    No but someone who drinks 3 to 4 shots of whiskey or 3 or 4 beers does.

I dont see a reason in getting buzzed everynight... why are you drinking unless you have a valid reason..MEDICAL RELATED?

I drink to get shitfaced and shitfaced alone.. and not often

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

i've known several alky's in my life. I lived with a functioning alcoholic, this guy could not keep together without drinking, he never had any problems. Then i have seen people get stupid and beat people down, like their wife.

I know where i am at is not too bad right now, i just don't want it to keep going further, and i have caught myself drinking more and more. I guess i am just living it up right now, i've been going out alot. I would never drive drunk, i learned my lesson years ago buy totaling a car. I ride my bike, skate, take a cab, or catch a ride with a friend, but i do not drive. Driving drunk is asking for trouble.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

I dunno, I guess I would have to say you aren't an alky unless you have a dependency on alcohol.... just enjoying being drunk all the time isn't the same thing in my opinion.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

I think you might be an alien lol You eat 3 triple cheeseburgers for lunch and somehow you are not fat, and you drink enough beer to put me in the hospital just to get drunk. although I am a major lightweight these days lol I been gettin hangovers from just 8 beers if i fall asleep lol i dont drink anymore
    i know plenty of ppl that can drink 20 plus and some 30 plus drinks......myself being one of them at my peak a few yrs ago.........now 20 is about my limit where im retarded.....30th bday i was in the 30 range though .... ive seen my polish buddy put down 20 shots of vodka within in a few hrs and THEN we go out to the bars/clubs ....hes outta control...tolerance is to much for me to keep up with......hes also 6'1 250lbs ...helps im sure

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

to the OP, that is pretty bad to go to work drunk. stoned, thats a different story, i used to go to work when i was fucking baked and high as hell. those days are over though, long gone. now are you an alcoholic? i would say no. unless you feel you are dependent on it.

i consider myself an alcoholic(dependent on it). i drink everynight. usually only 4-5 though(but right at the magic number where i dont wake up the next morning groggy headed), just enough to catch a buzz. i like to drink. i drink to relax and unwind and because i actually like the taste of beer. i have a hard time sleeping if i havent had a few beers that night. tossing/turning, waking up every 15-20 minutes. it really sucks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    I dunno, I guess I would have to say you aren't an alky unless you have a dependency on alcohol.... just enjoying being drunk all the time isn't the same thing in my opinion.
    I think that sentence pretty much sums it up. There's nothing wrong with enjoying some drinking as long as you don't HAVE to have it.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I think that sentence pretty much sums it up. There's nothing wrong with enjoying some drinking as long as you don't HAVE to have it.
    +rep!!!!

Alright, you automatically have gained my support against NHRA in one thread because you are obviously a man of common sense...

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Since everyone is trng to define an alcoholic, let me simplify it for you....

How much, how often, for how long, why... Have no bearing on it.....
    Whether you are 15, 40, or 75 years old has no bearing on it....
    Whether or not you go to work hammered, wake up hammered, get married hammered, or whatever has no bearing on it.....

I drank a lot for a decade or so... I drove drunk, got married drunk, went to school and work drunk, went snow skiing drunk, raced circle track drunk, went shopping drunk, blacked out sometimes, went for weeks without sobering up.... And so on.... I was not an alcoholic.

I never once felt the "urge" or the requirement to have a drink. If I wanted to go home and put the drink down I could... Any time I wanted.

I never had the shakes, never got up and drank in the morning (unless I wanted to).... Never had an OUI/DWI, never ended up in jail because of booze, and of all the stupid stuff I did in my life nobody but me ever decided to put myself in that situation.

One day in 1985 I had enough... I was tired of having hangovers, spending my money in bars, picking up unattractive ladies, and so I quit. I quite everything as I partied a lot and there was more to it than just drinking.

I have not had a drop since.

I quit before the problem asosciated with heavy drinking became the problems of a full fledged raging alcoholic. I have a cousin with a bad liver who has been through half a dozen stints in rehab..... I had a cousin die from suicide (guns and booze), my family has been harmed greatly by alcoholism and drug abuse. I was one of the lucky ones.

The bottom line for an alcoholic is when that person chooses booze over work, booze over the family, booze over common sense, booze over eating, booze over education....

What I have learned is that I would have learned more in school had I not been drinking... I would have had better jobs had I not been drinking.... I would have had a lot more opportunities had I not been drinking.

I do not regret my choices as they have made me who I am today and I have good jobs, a lovely wife, and a nice home and extended family. No regrets for me. However I do know that if I had not chosen to clean up my act way back in 1985 I would likely be a bum, or even dead, based on my own actions and my family history.

If someone believes they may be an alcoholic, or have that tendency, I would highly siggest seeing a doctor and listening to a medical opinion. We only have one life to live and it would be a shame to waste it because we don't have the balls to hear the truth.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    Skip the beer if it dont work and start mixing the crown
    i get violent if i drink any thing other than beer... especail dark liquors..

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Since everyone is trng to define an alcoholic, let me simplify it for you....

How much, how often, for how long, why... Have no bearing on it.....
    Whether you are 15, 40, or 75 years old has no bearing on it....
    Whether or not you go to work hammered, wake up hammered, get married hammered, or whatever has no bearing on it.....

I drank a lot for a decade or so... I drove drunk, got married drunk, went to school and work drunk, went snow skiing drunk, raced circle track drunk, went shopping drunk, blacked out sometimes, went for weeks without sobering up.... And so on.... I was not an alcoholic.

I never once felt the "urge" or the requirement to have a drink. If I wanted to go home and put the drink down I could... Any time I wanted.

I never had the shakes, never got up and drank in the morning (unless I wanted to).... Never had an OUI/DWI, never ended up in jail because of booze, and of all the stupid stuff I did in my life nobody but me ever decided to put myself in that situation.

One day in 1985 I had enough... I was tired of having hangovers, spending my money in bars, picking up unattractive ladies, and so I quit. I quite everything as I partied a lot and there was more to it than just drinking.

I have not had a drop since.

I quit before the problem asosciated with heavy drinking became the problems of a full fledged raging alcoholic. I have a cousin with a bad liver who has been through half a dozen stints in rehab..... I had a cousin die from suicide (guns and booze), my family has been harmed greatly by alcoholism and drug abuse. I was one of the lucky ones.

The bottom line for an alcoholic is when that person chooses booze over work, booze over the family, booze over common sense, booze over eating, booze over education....

What I have learned is that I would have learned more in school had I not been drinking... I would have had better jobs had I not been drinking.... I would have had a lot more opportunities had I not been drinking.

I do not regret my choices as they have made me who I am today and I have good jobs, a lovely wife, and a nice home and extended family. No regrets for me. However I do know that if I had not chosen to clean up my act way back in 1985 I would likely be a bum, or even dead, based on my own actions and my family history.

If someone believes they may be an alcoholic, or have that tendency, I would highly siggest seeing a doctor and listening to a medical opinion. We only have one life to live and it would be a shame to waste it because we don't have the balls to hear the truth.
    Thats hilarious.

I thought I may have had a problem for a while. When I went out, I had to drink. I just felt insecure and not in high enough spirits without it. However...I was at a BAR. What the fuck else was I supposed to do? Still though, a person doesnt need to drink beer at a bar. Just makes little sense not to.

I never got drunk at home. Alone. Made little sense to me. I tried doing it when I lived alone, but it never lasted. Id say drinking a lot at home alone is a problem.

I remember hearing one of my friends who had to go to AA meetings from getting a DUI said that the instructors said "its not how much you drink, but what you do when youre drunk that indicates if you have a problem."

Eh. I disagree > 50%.

Kamen Blue
    05 Segueway

No- they are what I call "suckers for fad nutrition that rationalizes their appetite for booze".

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information