Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Hey jad628, is there a WalMart near ya?

They have it for 19.97 in a 5 quart container.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

I'm gonna give it a stab, first of all these tests were performed with fresh oil and as you can see, M1's shear numbers pretty much sucked, it did however produce the most HP, question is, how long does that ability last?
    They clearly stated;
    In the 0 up to 40 weight category, it seems Mobil's new 0W-40 produces terrific power, insignificant viscosity loss and a middle-to-fair wear particles rating.
    insignificant viscosity loss... I'll take the 9 extra HP thank you!

It wouldn't matter in a race car would it? They can change the oil every race.
    But for us driving street/track cars, it does matter.
    I change my oil about every 2k to 3k miles which is plenty often enough.

Right from the start it's giving bad shear numbers, which Sarge and others have shown is the case when used on their own cars.

The actual wear numbers reported were better than average, and better than both Castrols, Torco, and Royal Purple! According to their own data the 0-40 Mobil actually did better than the 5-50, so it should have ranked 6th.

So how long it can hold any increase in HP is very questionable and metal is shearing away right from the getgo.
    They clearly stated no viscosity breakdown, which is one the reasons people buy synthetics. Most quality filters are good for about 3 to 5 microns, so the

99.99% of the people want the least amount of wear on the engine unless they have money to burn for engine rebuilds...like...a...race...team...does.
    This is true, but what they don't tell you is the difference between all these oils when changed at regular intervals is pretty hard to discern. At 150,000 miles who cares? If you want the absolute least wear, go with a thicker viscosity oil that uses more gas and makes less HP.

Again, would like to see the same test performed on street oil, at fresh startup and after 2000 miles, then you have something to look at.
    At 2000 miles I'm already thinking about changing it.

Would also like to see it done by an independent lab, not one with an obvious bias.
    I would say if there is an obvious bias here, and if there is one it's pro AMSOIL, not Mobil 1.

Now let me back you into a corner, based on this test...and this test alone...what oil would you rather have in your 2002 red WS6 T/A???
    I have always run Mobil 1 in all my cars, motorcycles, lawn tractor, pressure washer, portable generator, etc. since the mid to late 70's. I always run 15w-50 in my air cooled engines. I currently run Mobil 1 SuperSyn full synthetic 5w-30 and Mobil 1 filter year round in all my cars. This is the same oil factory recommended for Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, Dodge Viper, and Dodge SRT....

To more accurately answer your question, after closer examination of this test I plan on switching to Mobil 1 0w-40 viscosity oil in my TA. I will take any performance edge I can get this easily.

ain't even gonna read all that, send me an email with an attachment on this thesis paper.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

They clearly stated;insignificant viscosity loss... I'll take the 9 extra HP thank you!
    Don't you get it? Your HP will decrease as wear occurs. This middle of the road overpriced pseudo synthetic oil is going to allow more wear which will reduce HP

I change my oil about every 2k to 3k miles which is plenty often enough.
    But, by then...the damage is done. This test wasn't run for anywhere near the equivalent of 2000 miles, and you already had chunks of steel being sheared off the size of bowling balls...lol

The actual wear numbers reported were better than average, and better than both Castrols, Torco, and Royal Purple! According to their own data the 0-40 Mobil actually did better than the 5-50, so it should have ranked 6th.
    But a number of other oils will get you way below average, many not even included in this test! What is good about sixth place? Ask a Nascar driver what he thinks about sixth place.

They clearly stated no viscosity breakdown, which is one the reasons people buy synthetics. Most quality filters are good for about 3 to 5 microns, so the
    Again...after how long?, six contenders were knocked out after this very short test...what would have happened had it gone on longer?

This is true, but what they don't tell you is the difference between all these oils when changed at regular intervals is pretty hard to discern. At 150,000 miles who cares? If you want the absolute least wear, go with a thicker viscosity oil that uses more gas and makes less HP.
    It's not hard to discern at all, it's called oil analysis...and thicker oil DOES NOT automatically mean less wear. This test if anything...proves that!

At 2000 miles I'm already thinking about changing it.
    Good, while your at it, put some real oil in there.

I would say if there is an obvious bias here, and if there is one it's pro AMSOIL, not Mobil 1.
    Agreed, that's what I was referring to, but it really doesn't matter, because we have plenty of independent tests done by people right here to prove that M1 is just an ok oil, nothing special, nothing spectacular, but definitely overpriced.

I have always run Mobil 1 in all my cars, motorcycles, lawn tractor, pressure washer, portable generator, etc. since the mid to late 70's. I always run 15w-50 in my air cooled engines. I currently run Mobil 1 SuperSyn full synthetic 5w-30 and Mobil 1 filter year round in all my cars. This is the same oil factory recommended for Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, Dodge Viper, and Dodge SRT....
    Do I have to tell you how deep Mobil's pockets are? Do you have any idea the kinds of deals they can cut these manufacturers? Trust me, everyone has their price, if I paid you enough, I could have you come on here spreading the pros of using orange juice in your engine.

To more accurately answer your question, after closer examination of this test I plan on switching to Mobil 1 0w-40 viscosity oil in my TA. I will take any performance edge I can get this easily.
    Oh Lord man, stop...just stop...let me know how those cold MO startups go.

As I see it, your ignoring the fact that this test was done for a very short time, those wear numbers were right away, not after 2000 miles which means they increase exponentially, same thing with the viscosity breakdown, at what equivalent amount of miles was this test done at?

Was it 10? 20? 50? 100? 500? a thousand? If it was just an engine on a dyno, how many hours are we talking?

I really can't figure out why your such a fanboy when you don't drive an F1 car, and the wear numbers are middle of the road for a high priced "synthetic" but hey whatever floats your boat.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i would rather not get the extra 9 hp that i prolly wont ever feel for the longer lasting more happy and healthy engine

Red
    2002 TA WS6

As I see it, your ignoring the fact that this test was done for a very short time, those wear numbers were right away, not after 2000 miles which means they increase exponentially, same thing with the viscosity breakdown, at what equivalent amount of miles was this test done at?
    See link for a long term test...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=538098

i would rather not get the extra 9 hp that i prolly wont ever feel for the longer lasting more happy and healthy engine
    Really, really, really pathetic, now you guys are saying M1 is bad for your engine? Yeah, I'm sure AMG, Porsche, and all the rest only use it so the engine will wear out faster and people will buy a new car.... How sad, but I guess there will always be people who deny the obvious.

You know it's funny, because there are still know-nothings out there that believe if you run a synthetic when an engine is new the rings won't seat properly. Seems like there is just as much myth and misinformation at both ends of the spectrum.
    Last edited by VTR99; 09-04-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    Mobil 1 is being used by some of the best GT pro car racing teams out there. I know that from personal experience. not saying Mobil1 is superior cause I don't have data to back it up, but most pro racing shop use it. my 2 cents.
    Different oil goes into those race cars. The on the counter stuff isn't the same.

I am almost considering doing back-to-back-to-back dyno's now.
    VP - Mobil 1 - PP
    I bet they all read the same.
    And the most expensive oil is the Mobil 1.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by VTR99 View Post

Really, really, really pathetic, now you guys are saying M1 is bad for your engine? Yeah, I'm sure AMG, Porsche, and all the rest only use it so the engine will wear out faster and people will buy a new car.... How sad, but I guess there will always be people who deny the obvious.

You know it's funny, because there are still know-nothings out there that believe if you run a synthetic when an engine is new the rings won't seat properly. Seems like there is just as much myth and misinformation at both ends of the spectrum.

Yes, that's what we all said, M1 is bad for your engine, most engine's that run M1 three times successively blow up, lots of engine and hood damage from running M1 and crashes lots of race cars running M1 crash more often than race cars that don't run M1, it's a fact...look it up.

Oh, and when your T/A gets to a million miles lemme know.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Different oil goes into those race cars. The on the counter stuff isn't the same.
    Oh really? Where is your evidence? I suggest it's more like wishful thinking on the part of M1's detractors.

Black
    2005 GTO

Mobil 1 is being used by some of the best GT pro car racing teams out there. I know that from personal experience. not saying Mobil1 is superior cause I don't have data to back it up, but most pro racing shop use it. my 2 cents.
    Do you people actually buy products just because race teams are sponsered by them. Mobil offers to give a race team FREE oil plus millions of dollars to put a Mobil 1 on there car for the year. Just because a team usese mobil one in there race car does not mean it is the oil they prefer. Also mobil one is shoting for teams that win hence best teams run M1. M1 is the most well known name an easly makes more money than any other oil out there so they obviously can out bid other oil companys for the best teams.

As already stated this is not the same oil you and I put in our cars its is a special blend for the racing conditions. Oil in these cars is changed at them minimum every race and engines are torn down rebuilt or replaced every race. These race teams proabably go threw more oil in 1 year than and one of use in our lifetime. Its all great marketing but I don't buy stuff because it's on the side of a car.

I'm not arguing what oil is better I'm just stating facts here why one race team uses a certain oil over another.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post

are you for real?! when th F did i say it was bad for your engine. i have used M1 before and i have it in one of z28's right now. i'll be swapping it for pp soon tho. i never said it was bad for you engine, just that it will not protect as well as others-amsoil or pp! are you afraid the M1 sales are gonna drop if you dont convince everyone on here that it has been touched by God?
    Oh really? Where is your evidence? I suggest it's more like wishful thinking on the part of M1's detractors.

Where is your evidence that it is the same stuff?

Red
    2002 TA WS6

As already stated this is not the same oil you and I put in our cars its is a special blend for the racing conditions.
    Show us your evidence? I already know the answer.... The only thing different is theirs comes in 50 gallon drums. This thread is starting to sound like some of the same guys that started the Moon landing conspiracy hang out here.
    Last edited by VTR99; 09-04-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Where is your evidence that it is the same stuff?
    I have been involved with, and have close friends who are involved in sponsored race teams. Mostly drag racing, and open class bikes. Many of them run plain old Valvoline.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Talking

Wal-Mart Hi-Tech Synthetic 0W/40 ~ cheap & gets the job done ! A Wix or K&N Gold filter. Install a magnetic oil drain plug & magnetic filter jacket.
    Then throw in some Z-Max for good measure & wait for the oil moniter to come on before changing. Simple as that . Nuff said .

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Wal-Mart Hi-Tech Synthetic 0W/40 ~ cheap & gets the job done ! A Wix or K&N Gold filter. Install a magnetic oil drain plug & magnetic filter jacket.
    Then throw in some Z-Max for good measure & wait for the oil moniter to come on before changing. Simple as that . Nuff said .
    Honestly...probably be fine if you change every 3,000 or 3 months.

Black
    2005 GTO

Show us your evidence? I already know the answer.... The only thing different is theirs comes in 50 gallon drums. This thread is starting to sound like some of the same guys that started the Moon landing conspiracy hang out here.
    Here you are sir. Although they don't specically say we use differnent oil than a regular joe can get at walmart. They do mention blending for optimum performance. I don't know about you but I sure as all hell don't know what that blend is. Team mclearn has there own M1 member at every track to anaylis the best oil options if the blend needs tweaking he tweaks it. Again two different teams two different oil companies both making the same claims, better power, fuel economy and less wear. Most all oil company that are in raceing use it as a platform to develop new oil/fuel to one day use in the everyday car. It is the perfect place for them to test there oils and enhance them if it can stand the extreme punishment of racing it can take what the normal joe throws at it on the street.

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?newsID=5317

http://www.shell.com/home/content/fe...t_renewal.html

http://www.shell.com/static/ferrari-...ing_future.swf

First sentence in next link

Formula 1 is not only an image vector but also a leading-edge laboratory for developing new lubricants.
    http://www.elfoil.com.au/news/articl...rformance.aspx

Last paragraph in next link

"We put a new battery in each truck at the beginning of the year and check them regularly, but unless the truck is in a wreck, we don't change them," Myers said. "We have special trucks for each track, special gears to qualify and race, even special brakes and special lubricants, but just one battery - a DieHard."

http://news.carjunky.com/nascar_fans.shtml

Also if you look into NHRA oils and moto gp oils you will find most run a top notch racing oil ranging anywhere from $12+ a quart hardly something you pick up at wal-mart of autozone. Online you can find most but not something you put in a street car.
    Last edited by JonB; 09-04-2007 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

I am almost considering doing back-to-back-to-back dyno's now.
    VP - Mobil 1 - PP
    I bet they all read the same.
    And the most expensive oil is the Mobil 1.
    I still like Mobil1... but yeah, do it, let us know

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I still like Mobil1... but yeah, do it, let us know
    There is nothing wrong with Mobil 1....other than the price.

I got rid of the last of my Mobil 1 on the daily drivers.
    On my last 5.5 quarts of VP racing oil, then I will be running Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30.

I hear you man, I just buy good quality full syntetic oil. the brand is just not that important to me either.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information