Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Air is a pretty big part of the power making power.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    My loaded(no HUD,SR or BC) 2010 2SS/RS weighed in at 3850 with a full tank of fuel.

My 99TA before the 12 bolt weighed in at 3750 with a full tank on the same scale.
    Interesting. My car weighed 37xx with ME in it (don't remember where fuel was at) I was heavier then, at about 220. Also, your weights further beg the question: why is the 5th gen no faster than a 4th gen, despite a ~100 horsepower advantage?
    Last edited by Naaman; 06-10-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I'm seeing lots of different numbers in regards to the LS3 Camaro. Seriously, i've seen full to two full second differences in the QM depending on who's reviewing the car. Some are faster than 4th gen, some are neck and neck (in numbers)

That being said, Stock rated curb rate for a 02 SS is 3410 pounds, whereas a 14 SS is 3935. A 14 Camaro LS is 3719. A SS version adds nearly 200 more pounds! Given that, get more air into the motor and through the exhaust and that thing will be much faster with better MPG. When that happens I just wont care how heavy it is.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Stock 4th gens have been documented skimming the top of the 12s and can get low, low 13s all day long. I have not seen much on the 5th gens as far as reviews/track tests, but one would think that with all the horsepower they make, they should reach into the high 12s. All I've seen in mags/road tests is low 13s.

For me, the weight is detimental to more than just straight line speed. Even though the 5th Gens have IRS, the porkish weight still puts me off for handling/braking/responsiveness reasons. Also, I think they look stupid: the car is huge and has dinky windows with terrible blind spots.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Interesting. My car weighed 37xx with ME in it (don't remember where fuel was at) I was heavier then, at about 220. Also, your weights further beg the question: why is the 5th gen no faster than a 4th gen, despite a ~100 horsepower advantage?
    Stock in about 1100 DA my 99TA went 13.7 at 103

Stock in 2400 DA my 2010 went 13.3 at 105

With an SLP Lid free mods and rear seat delete my 99TA went 13.3 at 106 in 500 DA

With a K/N CAI( some say one of the worst for 5th Gens) 13.08 at 108 in 1500 DA

I think the proof is in the #s
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Stock 4th gens have been documented skimming the top of the 12s and can get low, low 13s all day long. I have not seen much on the 5th gens as far as reviews/track tests, but one would think that with all the horsepower they make, they should reach into the high 12s. All I've seen in mags/road tests is low 13s.

For me, the weight is detimental to more than just straight line speed. Even though the 5th Gens have IRS, the porkish weight still puts me off for handling/braking/responsiveness reasons. Also, I think they look stupid: the car is huge and has dinky windows with terrible blind spots.
    The only magazine claiming 12's stock was Evan Smith in MM&FF he ran at E Town which is below sea level to begin with.

That was with a 2002 SS M6

My friends 2002 M6 25th ann car went 12.7 at 109 with a lid and loud mouth exhaust.

BTW the 98 to 2002 Camaros and Birds were underrated for power my 120,000 mile 99 TA put down 320hp with Lid LT's and a tune.

The 5ths are closer to reality in the ratings.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

NBM
    1999 TA A4

S
    My 2010 brakes better and handles better than any 4th I have owned and the 11,12,13 and 14 have better revised suspensions.....so....

I remember when the 4th came out and people thought the 3rd handled better because of the heavy steering.

In showroom stock the 4ths were running circles around the 3rds and the sanctioning bodies let the 3rds add headers and a cam to try and level the playing field.

The F Bod Father Scott S said it best these are the best built best handling Camaro's ever,ask him he will tell you.

Blind spots aren't as bad as some people think,the 3rd was bad the 4th was worse and the 5th takes a little getting used too.

As for looks well its hard to beat a 98-02 WS6 TA,it was pure sex.

But the catfish Camaro...well...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My 02 dynoed at 308/323 at the rear wheels stone stock (no mods). It went 13.49 @105 at Firebird on a night when the DA was ~3000 with MT DR's and a cutout as the only change (big difference in the 60' with the DR's and a ~.3 ETdifference with the cutout).

When I'd go back to LA to visit it felt much more powerful (down at the beach with thick cool air).

See my sig for what I modded and how it ran at the track before I demodded it for the move back to Cali for work.

I'm seriously considering a 2014 or 15 as the 02 now has 60K+ on it and is starting to show it's age. Still runs great, just looks a bit tatty (only cuz I own it and know it - everybody else thinks I have a great looking car). I'll keep the 02 as a "project" regardless...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Trust me, I believe that the braking, handling, smoothness, and reliability will all be much better in that SS then the WS6 I got now. The only thing I will miss is the beautiful muscle look of that car. Nothing comes close to the way mine looks, in my opinion. And that lion roar of the Borla is orgasmic. The only concern I would have is the extra 100 HP and bigger motor, yet the same straight line performance. Tho for what it's worth, small mods on the SS will make it that much more faster and I guess I can find some peace of mind with that. A CAI will add like 18 horsepower (According to K&N)!! A new airlid on the Ws6 only gains like 10 hp if I recall correctly.

I know the blind spots must be a pain. I test drove one and didn't notice it too much; I may have been too focused on shifting gears tho since I'm still at amateur lol. I don't stall though I'll tell you that.

Jim "I'm seriously considering a 2014 or 15 as the 02 now has 60K+ on it and is starting to show it's age. Still runs great, just looks a bit tatty (only cuz I own it and know it - everybody else thinks I have a great looking car)."
    That's exactly what i'm saying lol.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Mine brakes just as good or better than a new SS. That is what happens when you put brembos on your TA.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Ok he wanted opinions on whether to buy a 5th or not,I have said my bit and this will be my last post in this thread.

When they first came out I was like a lot of you,weighs too much,too square,trunks too small,yadda,yadda,yadda.

Then I got to try one for a few days and guess what? I had to have one.

I went for value and bought a slightly used one with only 12k miles on it for one heck of a price.

This is the best F car I ever owned and I have owned 14 now.

And yes it is an F car check the VIN or ask Scott S.

Arctic White, red/gray

Well now that the 5th gen koolaid drinking fan boi is gone. Anybody notice how ugly these cars are from certain angles?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Well now that the 5th gen koolaid drinking fan boi is gone. Anybody notice how ugly these cars are from certain angles?

Lmao! I would buy one but I won't sell my TA for it. However, if I couldn't have two cars I would just save up longer to get a C7 or a C6 Z06 instead of buying a camaro SS now since I would be wishing I did do that in the end.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Until 2014 I hated the ass end of the 5th Gens. looked like they ran out of budget when the rear end came up and just went "oh F' it, they'll still buy it"

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I think the new rear end is uglier than the first one.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for your opinions everyone, I am taking them all to heart.
    Realistically speaking, everyone on here loves tanks for cars. Let's be real, 4th gen F-bodies are basically mini limousines. If we liked small we'd go for 350z's or Miatas, as as they are.

In my opinion the 5th gen Camaro's were something I didn't love. The front was "okay" at best, but the rear is stupid. Dual taillights? Come on. I agree with Scott 100%. The rear end now looks much more fitting and retro. and that front, with the RS package it's something special now. That's mainly why I wouldn't go 13 or below (unless it was a ZL1, then we'll talk).

Arctic White, red/gray

While I like the new rear end more than the old it still isn't anything special to me. Even though the challengers are heavy as shit and usually have the worst performance out of the the mustang, camaro and challenger it looks special. When I see a srt-8 challenger it looks like a muscle car. It looks special.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

While I like the new rear end more than the old it still isn't anything special to me. Even though the challengers are heavy as shit and usually have the worst performance out of the the mustang, camaro and challenger it looks special. When I see a srt-8 challenger it looks like a muscle car. It looks special.

Plus to a purist it's still the only "Muscle Car" out of the bunch. It also has the best retro look between them all. I can sit any classic next to a modern one and see the the same body lines and heritage. Not as much with a Mustang and even less with a Camaro.

Money no object: (C7)*, Z28, SRT8, GT500 *had to throw that in there

Money thrifty - 5.0, Challenger (Hemi), SS2

Looks alone - SRT8, Z28, GT500
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 06-12-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I'm gonna have to stop you gentlemen there. I respect all of your opinions on these cars and am listening. The opinions that carry the most weight are the ones who are considering buying a new muscle car (or the people who already have one of what you're looking at getting).

The Challenger is aggressive yes. It wouldn't be a competition if that thing lost all of its body fat, because it certainly shows. Than I would go for it in an instant. But as it stands now, Challenger is basically a car RV. Its, quite literally, a fat monster. And its interior is an absolute joke. it's gross and too plain. Nothing special here. The 2015's are a huge step in the right direction I think, it just still needs to lose some fat.

The mustang; again, I can respect a 5.0, but in no way would I ever get one. Too much of a girly looking car. And most people I know who drive mustangs ARE girls. It's more of a "i'm cute but mean too" kind of car, rather than a monster. Then there's the GT500, which I'm not exactly too fond of to begin with. Don't get me wrong, The guys I know who have mustangs (one has a 67, the other a 03 Cobra) are true petrol heads. I'd go 60's and 70's for that baby but not anything higher.

Now the Camaro. 2SS; Good looking interior (HUD, mylink, etc), great looking front, and maybe above average rear. It may not be as powerful as the 5.0, but hell I don't care. Small mods and I can make it like that.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information