Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Black
    1999 Trans Am

It's always a good idea to shop around for insurance every 6-12 months. I've found best deals with Mercury, 21st Century, Liberty Mutual, Farmers, Progressive, Allstate etc. over the years so basically you'll have to go through the pain of getting quotes from all of them but it is well worth the savings. Many of them give quotes online and websites like esurance compare several of them at the same time to save you time.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

my mama told me you better shop around shop shop around

Red
    2000 Trans AM

I dont know what to think, Im 20 and in the military and I pay 270 a month for full coverage 250 deductible, no tickets. I know color has a little to do with pricing and your location. I live in phoenix which is no. in the country for stolen cars. Id be paying around 220 anywhere else in the country.

Midnight Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Conv.

Your best bet if the insurance company will not reduce the price is look around. I am an insurance agent and I have owned my own agency for the last 12 years. I am not going to tell you what I pay because you will get mad at me. lol. But I will tell you a few things that some agents or companies won't tell you.

Shop around if you think that your rate is too high. Insurance companies change rates all the time. Some companies like older people better than families with younger drivers. Some compaines have better rates for families with younger drivers than others. So just check around every once in a while. If you have been with the same company for a hundred years and are happy then stay but you might not be getting the best rate you can.

First of all your credit matters. 95% of all insurance companies will base your rate on your credit. So if you have bad credit your premiums will be higher.

For younger drivers it is better to stay on your parents policy as long as you can. The only thing is that your parents will have to be on the title of the car with you. You will be able to take advantage of some of the discounts your parents get if you are on their policy like multi car and multi policy discounts as well as better credit scores most of the time, also higher coverages for a better rate. Some companies will let you tell them which car each driver drives. If your parents are listed as driving the highest rated car then it will be cheaper on insurance. If you have to be on your own as a younger driver and have a clean record then check with State Farm or some other companies like that because they might give you a better rate than say a high risk insurance company. If you have tickets or accidents it will be higher and you will have to go with a high risk company. So behave. Or don't get caught at least. lol.

If you have another car, list that as your DD and tell them that you only drive each car less than 7000 miles a year, which if you store your car in the winter then it is probably true. If you don't store your car in the winter then tell them anyway because they will not check it out. If the car is driven to work it will be more as well, and the farther you drive to work the more it will be. So if at all possible have another car to drive. If you have to go buy a $200 beater just to put on the insurance. Sometimes it is cheaper to have two cars on a policy instead of just one because of the multi car discount. Check with your agent or company before you buy anything. They should be able to get you a quote before making any changes to the policy. Be sure to have the VIN for the car before you call though.

If you store your car for the winter then call your agent and put storage insurance on your car. Some companies will be able to take the liability insurance off the policy. Leave on the Comprehensive and Collision coverage on the car. Comp will cover if it is stolen, vandalized, or if something falls on it in storage. Collision will cover the car should happen to roll and hit something. If you are like me then I start my car once a week to keep things lubed. If you have to move the car at all and hit something then Comp will not cover that. So keep the Collision on it too.

The color of your car means nothing to an insurance company. It might have a subliminal meaning to cops but not to insurance companies.

If I think of some more things I will add to this or if you have any questions just ask. All states have different laws so you can check with your agent or company in your state but these tips should hold true in most states. I am in IL and I am licensed in IL, WI, and IA. Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by ramtough9; 02-24-2010 at 06:48 AM.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by transam_00 View Post
    I dont know what to think, Im 20 and in the military and I pay 270 a month for full coverage 250 deductible, no tickets. I know color has a little to do with pricing and your location. I live in phoenix which is no. in the country for stolen cars. Id be paying around 220 anywhere else in the country.
    color no longer efects cost it was veiwed as illigal practice

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Does anyone know about insurance for T/A's and Camaro's in SC?? I'm going to have my '01 WS6 fixed and road-worthy here in the next month or two and I havent looked into insurance. I have Geico on my '95 Mitsubish Eclipse and that's like $40 a month, on my dad's insurance. I'm 20, almost 21, and have no tickets or accidents. Any suggestions on where to go if I get my own policy?

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

I pay 460 a month on 06 Silverado, 06 vette, 09 malibu, 08 Civic. Price you pay for being single, inexperienced driver, 18 YEARS OLD. Sorry junior but when your that age they figure if you want a sports car they are going to rape you for every dollar you have and they should. Buy a "fun" car till your 21 or even 25. You pay for speed.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Well I just looked up a quote on Geico's website and for my 2001 T/A WS6 and me being 20 years old and a full time student with a "Good Student" and "Drivers Ed" discount, it would cost me $55.80 a month. That's not bad at all.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have USAA and pay $64 a month for full coverage. Also my record from when i first got my license is aweful from 16 to 20 I had multiple speeding tickets, wrecks and even a suspended license for a year. Its all about finding the right insurance.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    is there any way you could get one of your parents to be the primary driver on "paper"? That's what I did and I was 17 when I got my bright RED TA. But still, 550 a month??? Give me what that insurance company is smokin cause it must be good. lol
    ya doing this helps alot, on paper i drive a mercury sable

Black
    1999,Camaro z28

Ok i really dont want to say it but i have good one with good deal i pay 398 $ for 6 mounts and am 22 years old its not full cover but 398 $ sounds good for me

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula

I live in NJ and have full coverage I pay $750 every 6 months with progressive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

when I first got my own insurance I was paying 416 a month for basic liability on a 1990 base model sunbird LE sedan. Gotta love livin in NY eh???

right now I'm paying 200 a month and that covers both the saturn and hawk full coverage on the hawk.... naturally Sucks to be young and trying to establish trust with insurance. They milk you for everything you make till you show them they won't be paying out of pocket on you.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

well actually guys my dad didnt mention that when they both backed up each of thier vehicles into trees, that they had the insurance companies fix them (why? i have no idea.) but of course it made thier coverage go up about 10% but mine about 500%, makes perfect sense right?

so i switched to my moms who has no claims in.. ever.. now paying 120/mo for full coverage

Black
    1999,Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    when I first got my own insurance I was paying 416 a month for basic liability on a 1990 base model sunbird LE sedan. Gotta love livin in NY eh???

right now I'm paying 200 a month and that covers both the saturn and hawk full coverage on the hawk.... naturally Sucks to be young and trying to establish trust with insurance. They milk you for everything you make till you show them they won't be paying out of pocket on you.
    I LIVE IN NY TOO BUT I REGISTER CAR IN ILLINOIS ITS CHEAP AND I HAVE SISTER THERE THATS WHY

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    well actually guys my dad didnt mention that when they both backed up each of thier vehicles into trees, that they had the insurance companies fix them (why? i have no idea.) but of course it made thier coverage go up about 10% but mine about 500%, makes perfect sense right?

so i switched to my moms who has no claims in.. ever.. now paying 120/mo for full coverage
    wow, lol. that's pretty rediculous. do they not look where they're going?

well it's good that you got it all figured out. 120 is not bad for full coverage. what company are you with now?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    wow, lol. that's pretty rediculous. do they not look where they're going?

well it's good that you got it all figured out. 120 is not bad for full coverage. what company are you with now?
    no. they don't.

allstate i believe..

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by transam_00 View Post
    Why have such a low deductible? Try getting a quote for $1000 deductible and it may not take long to make back the $750 deductible from the savings. As long as you don't have accidents that often, a low deductible is not a good idea if it is hiking your monthly rates.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

^ this. How often do you go through insurance.... Sure it's nice to feel like should something happen the insurance will cover it for little expense out of your pocket. In reality you rarely need to go through insurance and if you are then the 1000 deductible will be the least of your worries. Most likely by the time you need to call the ins co for a claim you will have saved that thousand. Even better is if you never need to make a claim as long as you own your car... in that case... hey free money!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information