Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Great numbers fil!!

I want twins

I have been toying with the idea of changing setups myself. If it weren't for the collapsing intake tubes and failing turbos on so many APS cars from tech, I would be looking at that kit harder. TNT- hopefully you don't have any of those headaches. The duct collapsing seems to come in around the 700rwhp range.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Great numbers fil!!

I want twins

I have been toying with the idea of changing setups myself. If it weren't for the collapsing intake tubes and failing turbos on so many APS cars from tech, I would be looking at that kit harder. TNT- hopefully you don't have any of those headaches. The duct collapsing seems to come in around the 700rwhp range.
    yeah...i think all those were isolated incidents. EPP said that Firehawk's duct collapsed but he was also using a UMI K-member which differs fromt he BMR and means the turbos needed to be clocked so the duct would fit. that could've caused their problem. Vettes were having a big problem with them and it spilled over to the F-body kit cause some guys got worried. either way, im gonna keep my eye on it cause im sure ill push them to the limit eventually.
    never the less...i hope i dont have those headaches either...

NBM
    2002 NBM WS6

Great numbers fil!!

I want twins

Thanks frost, I love it its soo fun to hit boost! And its soo hard not to.
    02 NBM WS6
    APS TT LG Upgraded Snails
    317's
    60# Mototrons
    Tuned by Sean@Solid-Technology
    610RWHP

Nitrous is no more than a turbo or a supercharger wrapped up in a bottle

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by TNTramair View Post
    congrats! nice numbers. still breakin mine in...few more hundred miles and it'll go up on the dyno.
    TNT don’t forget to take the camera so you can take some vids for all of us here on LS1. Can’t wait to see them.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

TNT - How are you breaking your motor - Miles/speed/rpms,ect

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

yeah...i think all those were isolated incidents. EPP said that Firehawk's duct collapsed but he was also using a UMI K-member which differs fromt he BMR and means the turbos needed to be clocked so the duct would fit. that could've caused their problem. Vettes were having a big problem with them and it spilled over to the F-body kit cause some guys got worried. either way, im gonna keep my eye on it cause im sure ill push them to the limit eventually.
    never the less...i hope i dont have those headaches either...

Darren P's do the same, and one of his turbos came apart too, Superman09's car did it, KWIKKAR had a turbo fail too... I think the kit is SWEET, and I want twins too, and I'd get it despite those failures. Like I said, hopefully yours will go nice and smooth and you will be in single-digit territory soon.

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

well its been a long time coming but its finally installed and running. still needs to be tuned and dyno'd etc but i figured id post some pics of the engine bay. i also fabed up the stock air lid assembly to cover up the intercooler...came out pretty decent and completely hides any trace of a intercooler.

here are some specs:
    -Ls2 402ci
    -dragonslayer crank
    -compstar rods
    -15cc Diamond pistons
    -arp bolts
    -double roller
    -slp oil pump
    -bone stock L92 heads
    -dual springs
    -Yella Terra L92 rockers
    -HSW custom turbo cam
    -stock l76 intake w/NW 90
    -Nasty Fuel rails
    -60# injectors
    -racetronix dual intank pump
    -areomotive regulator
    and im sure whole lot more that ive forgotten. im using stock heads as a little experiment but im sure ill end up swapping them out eventually for a set of trickflows. anyways....here are the pics....ill try to have a vid up as soon as we're ready to dyno.

before it went in:

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

installed:

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

and with the lid installed....what intercooler??!?!?
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

well...there ya have it. id like to thank Nick and Matt at HarrisSpeedWorks for all their Help.
    ill have some vids posted up within the next few weeks as tuning gets done and more miles get put on the bran new engine.
    Very Very Trick!!!!

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by mghawk57 View Post
    TNT - How are you breaking your motor - Miles/speed/rpms,ect
    just driving her normally. varying speeds and rpms.

Frost- i hear ya. i still think the whole issue is the filters. if they are suckin shut it means the filters cant flow enough air for the demand. i would try and run it without the filters and see if the problem is still there. i suggested this awile ago when all this came about but i dunno if anyone tried it if they were indeed havin this problem. only way to find out if for me to do it and see if i run into that issue. ill keep you posted.
    Last edited by TNTramair; 06-27-2008 at 02:51 PM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

It wouldn't keep me off the kit for a minute, there were more issues getting my setup right by a shot.

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

Hey TNT, You should measure the vacum at the turbo inlet on the compressor side!! Also are you breaking the motor in with the turbo's? (If so bad idea).

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

how else would i break in the motor????

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

I was told not to break it in with the turbo, the metal flake from the bearings can damage the turbo's. I would at least talk to APS about it.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Nielson View Post
    I was told not to break it in with the turbo, the metal flake from the bearings can damage the turbo's. I would at least talk to APS about it.
    thanx for your concern but i assure you its perfectly fine.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I'd say that you have much more to worry about than the turbo if you are losing "flakes" of your new bearings

Seriously though, breaking in a turbo motor with the turbo on it is absolutely standard fare.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

I'd say that you have much more to worry about than the turbo if you are losing "flakes" of your new bearings

Seriously though, breaking in a turbo motor with the turbo on it is absolutely standard fare.
    yeah...im sure im not the first to build a new engine/turbo combo so its all good...

2002 CETA - 1999 Firehawk

Very nice build! Some great numbers! One of the cleanest APS installs i ahve seen.

Anything you would change on your setup? Do differnetly?
    Any problems with it overheating?

Thanks

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
    Very nice build! Some great numbers! One of the cleanest APS installs i ahve seen.

Thanks
    thanks. as of now, no, i wouldnt change anything about the set up. if i was gonna do it again, id go bigger. i love the Speed inc. twin kit...id probably go that route.
    so far so good with the temp....no over heating. i havent ran it with the a/c on yet so we'll see.

NBM
    2002 NBM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by DanDan View Post

Thanks
    thanks. as of now, no, i wouldnt change anything about the set up. if i was gonna do it again, id go bigger. i love the Speed inc. twin kit...id probably go that route.
    so far so good with the temp....no over heating. i havent ran it with the a/c on yet so we'll see.
    Just thought I'd throw in my .02.

TNT, so you wouldnt be interested in the bigger turbos from APS to go with this kit rather than the speed inc. kit?

DanDan, The only issue I can say I had with this kit is the pipes hitting the swaybar, but spacers or short tie rod end links are a fast easy and cheap fix.

My car does not overheat at all even here in NM with 100+ temps intown driving.

I love the kit and have no complaints whatsoever. Just wish I had more money right now to build a stronger engine, rear end etc etc... so I could turn up the boost waaay up without blowin somethin up. LOL

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by fil131 View Post
    Just thought I'd throw in my .02.

TNT, so you wouldnt be interested in the bigger turbos from APS to go with this kit rather than the speed inc. kit?

DanDan, The only issue I can say I had with this kit is the pipes hitting the swaybar, but spacers or short tie rod end links are a fast easy and cheap fix.

My car does not overheat at all even here in NM with 100+ temps intown driving.

I love the kit and have no complaints whatsoever. Just wish I had more money right now to build a stronger engine, rear end etc etc... so I could turn up the boost waaay up without blowin somethin up. LOL
    i dunno....its hard to say really cause i havent seen the Stage 2 APS kit. i can imagine the constraints with space though. having the turbo's up top like the Speedinc kit would allow you to get a variety of turbos you wanted within reason ofcourse.
    im very happy with this kit and beleive its one of the highest quality "kits" out there right now. everything was engineered to perfection and made to look factory. its exactly what i wanted for my "street" car. and as you can see from the pics, its very very low key.
    its funny cause i took it to a local car show a couple weeks ago and every one that walked by just kept on walkin...no one stopped to acknowledge it. for the first hour i had no one stop and talk to me. i took the lid off revealing the "Aps twin turbo intercooled" and it instantly became the talk of the show. people were swarming it like it was the new camaro or something. thats what i was going for. the nice kick in the pants when i drop the hammer pretty good also....
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

2002 CETA - 1999 Firehawk

i dunno....its hard to say really cause i havent seen the Stage 2 APS kit. i can imagine the constraints with space though. having the turbo's up top like the Speedinc kit would allow you to get a variety of turbos you wanted within reason ofcourse.
    im very happy with this kit and beleive its one of the highest quality "kits" out there right now. everything was engineered to perfection and made to look factory. its exactly what i wanted for my "street" car. and as you can see from the pics, its very very low key.
    its funny cause i took it to a local car show a couple weeks ago and every one that walked by just kept on walkin...no one stopped to acknowledge it. for the first hour i had no one stop and talk to me. i took the lid off revealing the "Aps twin turbo intercooled" and it instantly became the talk of the show. people were swarming it like it was the new camaro or something. thats what i was going for. the nice kick in the pants when i drop the hammer pretty good also....
    Thats awesome!

Thanks for the response! Once again amazing build!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information