View Poll Results: What Tools Do You Use?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Craftsman

92 69.17%
  • MAC

21 15.79%
  • Snap On

47 35.34%
  • Husky

14 10.53%
  • Dewalt

20 15.04%
  • Ingersoll-Rand

22 16.54%
  • Matco

16 12.03%
  • Makita

10 7.52%
  • S&K

4 3.01%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

I like most of the posters use all of the above. Anytime a truck come to the shop they have a section of "trade ins" when someone wanted to upgrade. I'll usually go to that section and get some good stuff for cheap, or I just wait for the little flyers they drivers bring everyweek to have a good special in them. Only thing I never saw being worth it off the trucks is the boxes. I got my Craftsman For 1200 and the same in MAC SNAPON MATCO CORNWELL would have been upwards of 6000

-00BlueTA

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

theoretically the toolboxes off the trucks arent necessarily worth it when it comes to space/cost. BUT i dare you to compare a craftsman box and a mac or snap on and say that youd still really have the craftsman. the professional stuff is made 100 times nicer, they give plenty of financing programs where you only pay around 50 bucks a week for 5 yrs. so its not like you have to come up with that money right away unlike craftsman. plus you can always trade in and upgrade. when it comes to boxes it comes down to whether or not your wrenching as a career or not and how much quality means to you. i know plenty of guys that get the biggest boner having the latest snap on box thats the biggest. i have a decent size mac box right now but i am looking to move up shortly as i am jus about spilling out of the current box.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

I use Stanley Hand Tools Which makes Matco,so I voted Matco.....which I think are better than Snap On and Mac, I have busted too many MAC tools, so I switched to Stanleys new line, and have not had a problem yet, and I use an IR Impact wrench. -Tim

black
    97 6-speed corvette

Craftsman handtools. I`m surprised I haven`t put them out of business yet exchanging all my tools over the years.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

stanley owns mac not matco. matco is its own company and theres no way your telling me its better then snap or mac. they are about equal, but way more pricey.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I am impressed with the numbers snap-on has pulled out. I have mostly snap-on and mac, with some craftsman just because when you need something spur of the moment you can drop in and get craftsman any time you want. Hand tools it makes no difference to me, but when it comes to impact sockets, air tools, etc I am solid snap-on with the exception in the industrial mechanic side where we use CP a lot, man they make a hard hitting 3/4 inch drive impact, their 1/2 is also equally as hard hitting and durable as snap-on's if not slightly better in both categories

orange
    99 z28

craftsman for me, i don't know if you all got money fallin out your asses, but i'd rather spend my $$ on my car or gettin laid. i've broken every brand there is so i can't justify 5x cost for prestige. plus its really nice that sears asks no questions about the seemingly impossible thing i must have done to thier poor tool. and i've been going with home depots power tools lately (the blue ones) they're the cheaper ones cause i've never had a hard used tool last more than a few years (aside from old school tools) oh and craftsman for the air tools and (unfortunately) compressor, already had to get it fixed once. but once again they took care of me for free. i just remember my neighbor selling snapon and wondering what rich a holes could afford that crap. a full tool set could put me through college lol

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

MAC 70% - Tool Box, most hand tools
    Snap On 20% Ratchet handles, deep metric sockets, etc.
    Craftsman 10% Gear wrenches, torques wrench

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Mostly Craftsman air and hand tools. Sears is close to me and their guaranteed for life.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

Craftsman mainly...couple of emergency trips to teh Zone for the Taiwan stuff and have been known to chase down the Snap-On truck for stuff (damn LT1 Opti socket!)

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    I use Craftsman because they are supplied by sears, so if something breaks, I can go down there and get another one right away.

While I don't doubt the quality of the tools sold on the trucks at work (Snap-on, Matco and Mac) if I break something, sometimes I can't wait a week for the guy to come back and replace it.

+1. Thats why I've always used craftsman. I've had to get a tool replaced twice (stripped a socket and had a defective ratchet, it wouldn't ratchet) and they didn't give me any trouble.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo98z
    +1. Thats why I've always used craftsman. I've had to get a tool replaced twice (stripped a socket and had a defective ratchet, it wouldn't ratchet) and they didn't give me any trouble.
    yeah, i've replaced numerous Craftsman tools and they never asked any questions...just chuck it in a box and tell you to go get another one =)
    Last edited by Fedge; 03-02-2006 at 06:30 PM.
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

The only real tool I have is my trusty Snap-on 3/8 ratchet. Everything else is no-name. I never have a problem getting the job done. Then again I don't do any major work like I used to. The last big job I did was lower BJs on a 99 Expedition 4X4. I haven't broken any tools in a while.

BLACK
    1998 Z 28 CAMARO

Gotta love those Snap-On ratchets....on/off label helps when you're tired or had a few adult beverages

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

You can't beat IR for power tools. Hand tools I use mostly Snap-on and some Mac.

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
    Just wondering what you guys use.

Craftsman Air Tools here.
    What ever cheap piece of crap I can get my hands on.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Craftsman, and other no name brands picked up here and there, best tool old rotary lift I picked up and repainted. How did I live without this thing...
    Attachment 4177

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mikeaford
    Craftsman, and other no name brands picked up here and there, best tool old rotary lift I picked up and repainted. How did I live without this thing...
    Attachment 4177

AHH, thats exactly what I need! where can i pick one of those boys up? I can't find a place that sells any type of lift like that.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

2 foot steel pipe. "helps with those rusted and stubborn bolts.
    Im kinda partial to craftsman bc it is so easy to return although I'm not too thrilled with there taps and bolt-out kits. Let me down several times
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

silver
    1999 trans am

I started twisting wrenches for a living back in '71. used to be able to buy craftsman at the swap meets around here for almost nothing. I'd buy all I could and turn 'em in for new ones so thats my main collection. the important thing to know is don't buy a toolbox taller than you are - the top drawers are wasted.

Thread Information