Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    i dont wrench anymore.
    some oils break down quicker than others and alot depends on how the motor is run.
    that being said, ive beaten the piss out of all my cars, yet never changed the oil every 3k and none of my cars internals ever went bad.

with todays oils, i dont see the need to change the oil more often than 15 years ago.

to each their own though. if a person feels the need to change every 3k, its their car and they have every right.

Fair enough bro I respect your experience and believe you.
    Peace Jesse

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    I would still change every 3k even with synthetic. Them claiming you can go 7k or 10k on oil is very misleading and is an advertising gimmick and imho a big industry misconception. Yes the viscosity in syn. oil lasts longer than petro. but the problem is that not only does oil lube and cool your motor, but it also cleans it by suspending the harmful deposits left by the combustion process. These deposits corrode metal parts over time and cause buildup and with synthetic the deposits are still there in the oil caus they have no where else to go.

So my main argument and point against the claims made by oil companies in regards to synthetic is that you cant safely go that long without changing your oil no matter what because where else would the deposits go that are making your oil dirty? Does synthetic make them magically disappear? I think not, it just has better viscosity break down while in service, you still need to "Clean" your engine every 3k to get rid of deposits. Just my .02 cents and educated opinion. 5k would be pushing it on synthetic for sure and your motor would be cleaner if you change every 3k with petro or syn. I would rather have peace of mind knowing oil is clean and not eating at my motor, especially for a performance engine. Just something to think about.
    Jesse

actually the whole change your oil every 3000 miles or every 3 months is a huge misconseption. IMO that applies to the cars that are driven on the most horrible condition. Matter of fact you have the last word on wether to change your oil now or next week. Just check the dipstick not only tels you if your good on oil but you can also make an observation on the status of the oil if its been 3000 miles and the oil still looks like it can survibe another 500 then its your choice.

When I check the oil I always get the oil from the dipstick and rub it between my fingers to check the quality. if its too bumpy (kinda feels like little rocks) then its time for a change.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

If your oil feels like little rocks your screwed.
    Either your filter has collapsed or your PCV/Air filter is allowing tons of dirt/silicon in.
    If you can feel grit your fucked already....

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

well I cut the filter to look inside of them and its clean. so no worrys yet.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

If your eyes can see below 100 microns your superman.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

noo, but if the engine had some damage wouldnt tiny visible pieces of metal be caught in between the rows?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Sure after it let loose.If you can feel grit that is destroying your bearings. I freak out with anything over 5 microns ( you cannot feel 5 microns).....get a UOA.....you'll shit bricks if your "feeling" grit and seeing it in your filter....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I would never dream of going past 3,000 miles on a car I cared about and waiting until the GM oil change light comes on makes me cringe. I can't remember every seeing one come on sooner then 7000 miles or 6 months. yikes!! I have 8 years in the GM dealership biz.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I have seen plenty come on depending on driving. I have only seen mine once and never seen my low oil yet and never will. Not something I want to gamble with, since my car is my most prized possession. The money spent on oil is a small price for owning a F-Body. 3,000 FTW, my .02

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

before i scare you guys i was refeering to my beater honda, my TA does get its oil changed four times a year!. my honda on the other hand.... twice or three times.

Edit: although recentley it leaked a quart of oil from the bellhousing. looks like im gonna get him some huggies. lol JK time for a new clutch, flywheel, and RMS I recentley got some cash. Ill probably do that and pay some bills

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The OP ask a simple question and folks spew internet rumor and silly ass statements is the issue not what car or engine the statement is married to. People will read post and ( I still cannot believe it) say " I'm OK...I read on the internet you can run your oil until you can "feel grit".....and that is just flat outrageous. You should run any oil/filter setup your normal oil change interval and send in a sample to the lab.....then adjust and resample.....inexpensive and simple....cut through the butt dyno/Daddy said/My mechanic told me/I read on the internet.....bullshit......Get a free sample kit and do it right....
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

As for the 5-30 versus 10-30 and why I recommend a 10-30.
    High Temp High Shear HTHS is very important as this is what withstands the pressure and heat of your motor to allow the oil to lubricate the critical parts of your motor.....
    The "cold flow" of a 5w is statistically identical to that of a 10w in 99.9% of the country....so that leaves us with the operating temps your motor attains in a very short period of time....this is where the rubber meets the road.......If you look at a kabillion UOA's here is the difference.....look at the HTHS of identical brand of oils after 6K OCI's....

5W-30=average OCI=6311....average 100C cSt=9.63....average starting cSt=11.2....14.91% shear..HTHS 3.04

10W-30=average OCI=6133....average 100C cSt=9.57....average starting cSt=10.3....7.09% shear....HTHS 3.16
    Now you know why I use 10-30.....

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    There is no fucking way in hell anybody can comment on any other motors/drivers Oil Change Interval. Here it is again for the 1,000,000 time.....
    Run any oil...conventional or synthetic...out to 5K, get a Used Oil Analysis, this will tell you what the TBN and wear metals are.....adjust accordingly......
    My OCI's are 500 miles or less due fuel dilution.....
    thanks sarge..because of you the U.S burnt through its oil supply....plus i didnt know the hoveround required that frequent OCIs

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    thanks sarge..because of you the U.S burnt through its oil supply....plus i didnt know the hoveround required that frequent OCIs
    Click for full size
    I used Royal Purple in my chair and it is soooooo much smoother and I can feel the extra power in my butt.
    http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=41
    Royal Purple FTMFW

98' trans am

I used Royal Purple in my chair and it is soooooo much smoother and I can feel the extra power in my butt.
    http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=41
    Royal Purple FTMFW

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

I Went To Royal Purple At 92,000, Had Run Syntec For 20,000 Miles. Wanted To Go To Something Better, Run 5,000 Between Changes.
    I've Heard You Can Go 10,000 No Problem I Just Cant Make Myself Do That.

98' trans am

i truely think something people here are overlooking is the filters' life span...i believe oil itself can go well over 3k but if you buy some shit filter..then the filter will clog well before the oil takes its course

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i truely think something people here are overlooking is the filters' life span...i believe oil itself can go well over 3k but if you buy some shit filter..then the filter will clog well before the oil takes its course
    YOUR RIGHT, ANOTHER THING TO BE AWARE OF. I RUN A K&N FOR $14 IT BETTER LAST

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

As for the 5-30 versus 10-30 and why I recommend a 10-30.
    High Temp High Shear HTHS is very important as this is what withstands the pressure and heat of your motor to allow the oil to lubricate the critical parts of your motor.....
    The "cold flow" of a 5w is statistically identical to that of a 10w in 99.9% of the country....so that leaves us with the operating temps your motor attains in a very short period of time....this is where the rubber meets the road.......If you look at a kabillion UOA's here is the difference.....look at the HTHS of identical brand of oils after 6K OCI's....

5W-30=average OCI=6311....average 100C cSt=9.63....average starting cSt=11.2....14.91% shear..HTHS 3.04

10W-30=average OCI=6133....average 100C cSt=9.57....average starting cSt=10.3....7.09% shear....HTHS 3.16
    Now you know why I use 10-30.....

what u recomend for a cummings 350 tuned to 430? sarge? Im curretnly using 15w-30 but I hear alot of noises in the block.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I thought they recommended 15-40?????

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information