Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 WS6/1999 Silverado Z

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone else has as many problems with the stock "cats" on their ws6. I have to replace another one.
    I had a the cat go bad on the passanger side at around 60K. GM put a new one on for nuthin
    SLP Lid / Loudmouth / UMI SFC's, LCA's, and Panhard Bar / !CAGS / Short throw...I need more power!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Our high yesterday wasn't even 10 degrees. This global warming thing exists...but the states just had a mild beginning to winter is all. Averages tend to work themselves out and stay fairly consistent.
    Might have a very cold winter next year.

Anyways...they aren't shit.

Met Blue
    2002 WS6

Love mine, But I think my 2002 WS6 didn't come with upgraded springs so my ride is a little softer. My first 3rd gen Met plum T/A got 160,000 out of her and sold her before things started going downhill. I almsot want to buy another one to store for when my 2002 finally goes.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stubbs View Post
    Love mine, But I think my 2002 WS6 didn't come with upgraded springs so my ride is a little softer. My first 3rd gen Met plum T/A got 160,000 out of her and sold her before things started going downhill. I almsot want to buy another one to store for when my 2002 finally goes.

No car has to ever "go" long as you got the ca$h.

Met Blue
    2002 WS6

Point taken

Well, to speak along what the title says, I will put in my 2 cents.

I owned a 1989 Formula at 16 years old. It was slow as shit (305 TBI) and had DECENT gas mileage. I modded the shit out of it (summit 350 block, accel TPI, Paxton sn2000) and power wise it was awesome...but it took ME and my mods to make it that way. The cars suspension was never touched and rode rather nicely even passed the 100k mark.

The interior sucked.
    I was fortunate to have a dash with one crack, but the cloth seats started to tear.

The center console was a fucking joke. I swear, who the fuck put this piece together? Oh thats right, it was never together.

The A/C blew cold, but the angles at which the fans blew, their wings snapped off and the dial for the head + feet function never worked consistently.

The gas gauge would go up to its appropriate mark when the car accelerated.

I may had been the only one in existence to have a ceiling that didnt have its fabric hanging off its structure.

The inside door handles cracked and the bolt holes of which they were bolted into were stripped.

The wing? Ohhh fuck that thing. Had it painted twice. It was rusted underneath where it met the hatchback. Was it made of rubber?

But I loved it. I was 16 so it didnt seem like end of the world problems. Had I owned it when I was older, most of these problems couldnt been fixed.

My brother had a 94 z28.

The interior had far less problems...

Except that fuckign center console again. Jesus christ, were these made with paper and Elmer's paste?

Paint faded faster than the 89's.

Optispark went bad...

Better gas mileage.

My friend had 2 79 z28s.

Interior was the most uncomfortable.

Tiny steering wheel.

A/C didnt work too well at all.

Hah, its radio antennae was INSIDE the windshield. Kinda cool.

Slow as dirt regardless of the sound.

Gas mileage was the worst of the 3 examples.

I dont remember any cracks in the dash.

Most reliable.

My car now..

Center console works!

Theres a tear in my leather seat near my back pocket...howd it get there?

Driving to work one day, not accelerating or slowing down, both the inside of my doors cracked suddenly.

Only ONE panel of my car seems to be fading in a hurry. And its only one section of the panel. (driver side, next to the door, the paint that is right underneath the black shark fin that meets the driver's window)

Best gas mileage, fastest car...well, you guys would know the qualities.
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

BlacK
    2001 WS6

So pretty much, just as they almost get it right...they stop production.

Still take any one of your aforementioned cars over an import, it's a psychological thing, rather be driving a crappy American car than an import, but that's me.

That thing about the doors cracking suddenly is really weird.

My younger brother had a silver 79' T/A with the screamin chicken and all, red interior. The heater core went, the doors hung down two inches below the sills when you opened it (notorious for that) and the car was a complete pig until he dropped a 455 in it, eventually though, the paint started to peel and the chassis and rest of the drivetrain couldn't take all the power the 455 was given.

After all that...he still wants one today...lol

Mindset...I'd rather drive a crappy American muscle car than any import.
    Funny thing though, you go back farther, and from 68-72 the quality was much better, but try gettin one now. Sell the first born, the house, your current car and maybe you can have one.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Well, to speak along what the title says, I will put in my 2 cents.

I owned a 1989 Formula at 16 years old. It was slow as shit (305 TBI) and had DECENT gas mileage. I modded the shit out of it (summit 350 block, accel TPI, Paxton sn2000) and power wise it was awesome...but it took ME and my mods to make it that way. The cars suspension was never touched and rode rather nicely even passed the 100k mark.

The interior sucked.
    I was fortunate to have a dash with one crack, but the cloth seats started to tear.

The center console was a fucking joke. I swear, who the fuck put this piece together? Oh thats right, it was never together.

The A/C blew cold, but the angles at which the fans blew, their wings snapped off and the dial for the head + feet function never worked consistently.

The gas gauge would go up to its appropriate mark when the car accelerated.

I may had been the only one in existence to have a ceiling that didnt have its fabric hanging off its structure.

The inside door handles cracked and the bolt holes of which they were bolted into were stripped.

The wing? Ohhh fuck that thing. Had it painted twice. It was rusted underneath where it met the hatchback. Was it made of rubber?

But I loved it. I was 16 so it didnt seem like end of the world problems. Had I owned it when I was older, most of these problems couldnt been fixed.

My brother had a 94 z28.

The interior had far less problems...

Except that fuckign center console again. Jesus christ, were these made with paper and Elmer's paste?

Paint faded faster than the 89's.

Optispark went bad...

Better gas mileage.

My friend had 2 79 z28s.

Interior was the most uncomfortable.

Tiny steering wheel.

A/C didnt work too well at all.

Hah, its radio antennae was INSIDE the windshield. Kinda cool.

Slow as dirt regardless of the sound.

Gas mileage was the worst of the 3 examples.

I dont remember any cracks in the dash.

Most reliable.

My car now..

Center console works!

Theres a tear in my leather seat near my back pocket...howd it get there?

Driving to work one day, not accelerating or slowing down, both the inside of my doors cracked suddenly.

Only ONE panel of my car seems to be fading in a hurry. And its only one section of the panel. (driver side, next to the door, the paint that is right underneath the black shark fin that meets the driver's window)

Best gas mileage, fastest car...well, you guys would know the qualities.

boyfriend had an 89 a couple years ago...dumped a bunch of money into it to make it look decent...hes selling a 94 hotcammed camaro right now, optispark went in that one too ($500) wowwww...the 79 z28 got shit gas mileage cause they didnt invent EGR yet...but i have a 2000 ws6 and i love it...you should get some kinda lucky charm or something lol

Quote Originally Posted by transws6am00 View Post
    boyfriend had an 89 a couple years ago...dumped a bunch of money into it to make it look decent...hes selling a 94 hotcammed camaro right now, optispark went in that one too ($500) wowwww...the 79 z28 got shit gas mileage cause they didnt invent EGR yet...but i have a 2000 ws6 and i love it...you should get some kinda lucky charm or something lol
    I just pointed out more flaws than I did qualities. It wasnt bad luck, just poor childish choices.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

As ALL cars get older they require more and more attention. Most cars back in the day had 4 to 5 foot doors, so you can see why they would sag. some more than others

BlacK
    2001 WS6

The uh...brass bushings didn't help matters much either, same genius who said, like hey let's make a timing gear outta nylon. "Oh yea, good idea, the weight we'll save will allow us to call it an economy car."

TRIPLE BLACK
    2002 WS.6 Build #12425

The only down side to these cars is the stock suspension, totally sucks, first thing i did was replace all of it, now the car feels totally solid and doesn't make any noise. other than that, no other complaints.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by prafopi View Post
    Lucky you.... bad luck for me... Not only that i have to change my Volkswagen alternator but i have to replace everything...
    Volkswagen alternator, eh? I read the article in your link, I have never heard of any alternator putting out AC current. The current gets converted to DC for all cars by the diodes in the alternator that I have ever worked on, so that makes me wonder about everything else they are talking about. That electro-mechanical device they talk about is really something special!

A trained professional volleybill's Avatar

Black
    2001 Z28

I was going to say crude, but thought 'compared to what?' They are cheap cars, stamped sheet metal suspension pieces, solid back axle- They are NOT a Mercedes or BMW, but, bang for the buck, you can't beat them-

Another great thing about them is the support of the aftermarket- if I want to change brakes, shocks, springs, even major suspension pieces, there are several different manufacturers, and I can pick and choose how I want to go- drag race? Auto cross? street rod?

I think of these cars as an affordable starting point to build whatever kind of sports car you want- No, not a T-bird or a Cadillac, just a pony car that can embarass many more-expensive cars- Doesn't look too bad either, while doing it!

BLUE
    02TransAm

i will never get ride of my ta. if i have kids they might get to drive it .

I think LSx cars are good muscle/sports cars. comfortability wise driving more than 2 hours, it gets a little uncomfortable. I took my TA on a 4 hour trip to San Antonio and stopped 3 times, take piss, get coffee, but mostly strech them legs a bit. but the more mods you do and more power and stiffer the ride gets the more chances of something breaking due to more heat and power on different parts of the car. If you got money to mod it fully then be prepared to do it right because if you're missing the suspension, rear bolt, tires , tranny build up.. etc components, it will drive like shit and most probably break something due to stress and heat.
    so to answer the question the LSx are great weekend car and sports cars depending on what mods you have.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I think LSx cars are good muscle/sports cars. comfortability wise driving more than 2 hours, it gets a little uncomfortable. I took my TA on a 4 hour trip to San Antonio and stopped 3 times, take piss, get coffee, but mostly strech them legs a bit. but the more mods you do and more power and stiffer the ride gets the more chances of something breaking due to more heat and power on different parts of the car. If you got money to mod it fully then be prepared to do it right because if you're missing the suspension, rear bolt, tires , tranny build up.. etc components, it will drive like shit and most probably break something due to stress and heat.
    so to answer the question the LSx are great weekend car and sports cars depending on what mods you have.
    Then again, there is a plus side to that too. If you mod the whole car, meaning built engine, bulletproof T56, high performance clutch, 12 bolt rear, full suspension upgrades, poly bushings, ect, you can have a very reliable, yet very fast and capable vehicle. Everything would be heavy duty and either brand new or completely rebuilt.

The problems arrise when people heavily mod one component of the drivetrain without touching anything else.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Then again, there is a plus side to that too. If you mod the whole car, meaning built engine, bulletproof T56, high performance clutch, 12 bolt rear, full suspension upgrades, poly bushings, ect, you can have a very reliable, yet very fast and capable vehicle. Everything would be heavy duty and either brand new or completely rebuilt.

The problems arrise when people heavily mod one component of the drivetrain without touching anything else.
    That's what I always say to build a good foundation then add the big power. The only problem is that horse power itch is hard to control at times.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    That's what I always say to build a good foundation then add the big power. The only problem is that horse power itch is hard to control at times.
    itchy itchy...

ahahaha yep, that's why I got new suspension, built up tranny, getting new tires and wheel size 17''/275 front and back, the rear bolt I got to look into about a year or so, should not be a major issue as lots of folks are 10bolt track cars, just don't abuse it too often cause the 10 bolt may break...

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Performance View Post
    I have to agree with the comments so far. First starting out it seems like that car is going to fall apart. Then the power kicks you back in the seat and all is well in the universe.

I did a "quick" trip to NY and back from IL one time. 26 hours in the T/A was enough for me. I would much rather take my Ram quad cab on a long trip. The T/A is a blast though all together.

In all fairness, any sports car for that period of time is hell lol...I recently sold my 03 Cobra that I drove home 12 hours from Kentucky, and my god a mid 11 second car is fun...for a few hours then after that it was an unholy hell. I was sore, and hurting, and didn't drive it for 2 days after it was home safely hahaha.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information