Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ28 View Post
    Let's call it for what it is... in the US, cinco de mayo is nothing more than an excuse to drink mas cerveza. Just like freaking Saint Patrick's day... except for the fact that the Irish immigrated a century ago and the mexicans are doing it now.

2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Nope asking about it happening now/today. A kid walks in a school wearing a shirt that is a flag on St Pats Day...
    Wasn't my point, but I'll play. Of course no one would be upset... no one gives a donk about the Irish immigrating into the US 100 years ago at this point. So no one cares about some high school douche wearing an irish T-shirt on St Paddies day, in fact, its "kinda cool." At the end of the, regardless of how it was perceived 100 years ago, in retrospect the Irish made this country stronger.

As for the current illegal immigration problem, touchy subject of course. Will it make our country stronger? Don't know. My guess is that we will be playin bitch to the chinese in another couple decades regardless.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Cinco De Mayo is celebration of the May 5, 1862 victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla.

CA was admitted to the Union on September 9th, 1850.
    You've got quite a convincing point there...

Still, boatload of mexicans in Cali when it was admitted to the union...

I chalk up my ignorance to celebrating Cinco de Mayo for the whole week!
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 05-06-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ28 View Post
    Wasn't my point, but I'll play. Of course no one would be upset... no one gives a donk about the Irish immigrating into the US 100 years ago at this point. So no one cares about some high school douche wearing an irish T-shirt on St Paddies day, in fact, its "kinda cool." At the end of the, regardless of how it was perceived 100 years ago, in retrospect the Irish made this country stronger.

As for the current illegal immigration problem, touchy subject of course. Will it make our country stronger? Don't know. My guess is that we will be playin bitch to the chinese in another couple decades regardless.
    Okay I will play... I know the mexican migration has been happening since what about 1850? And the holiday has been celebrated in California continuously since 1863. I think thats more than 100 years ago. Its not like mexican immigration is new. I guess I should have just asked the question without a quote. My mistake sir...
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 05-06-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I agree with the decision of the principal.

Before you jump on me for that, consider my viewpoint.

Do I think it's right that the American flag should be removed or otherwise hidden from view on American soil? Of course not.

However, considering the context, I fully support the principal. Not for the same reasons as him though (Was his decision influenced by race? I don't know, I can't say, I'm not him).

My reasoning for agreeing with his decision is this:

These high school kids; no, wait, let me rephrase, these idiotic douchebag tools, don't give a fuck about the American flag or what it represents. They were disrespecting the flag to the utmost by turning it into some wannabe-gang paraphernalia so they could 'be hard' towards the students who decided to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. It had nothing to do with American pride or anything close to it. Not only was it a disgraceful way to use the flag, it was also a plain and simple attempt to instigate trouble. And one of the arrogant dipshits even had the audacity to say "hurr durr I didn't do it to start sumthing..." Like fuck you didn't. Perhaps if you truly want to 'be hard', you should try attaining even a fraction of the resolve that the founders and defenders of the United States had/have.

You guys can argue until the end of time about unruly immigrants, but most of the immigrants I know (Including myself I suppose, being an immigrant(illegally though lol(not srs lol(well maybe srs(wait, wat?))))) have ten-fold the respect and pride towards the USA that these suckass dolts claim to have. That's why I fully agree with their punishment, these assholes don't even deserve to look at the flag, let alone display it in such a demeaning manner. It really says something when you appear to be a better candidate for deportation than the immigrants you're "standing up against", doesn't it?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post

Do I think it's right that the American flag should be removed or otherwise hidden from view on American soil? Of course not.

However, considering the context, I fully support the principal. Not for the same reasons as him though (Was his decision influenced by race? I don't know, I can't say, I'm not him).

These high school kids; no, wait, let me rephrase, these idiotic douchebag tools, don't give a fuck about the American flag or what it represents. They were disrespecting the flag to the utmost by turning it into some wannabe-gang paraphernalia so they could 'be hard' towards the students who decided to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. It had nothing to do with American pride or anything close to it. Not only was it a disgraceful way to use the flag, it was also a plain and simple attempt to instigate trouble. And one of the arrogant dipshits even had the audacity to say "hurr durr I didn't do it to start sumthing..." Like fuck you didn't. Perhaps if you truly want to 'be hard', you should try attaining even a fraction of the resolve that the founders and defenders of the United States had/have.

You guys can argue until the end of time about unruly immigrants, but most of the immigrants I know (Including myself I suppose, being an immigrant(illegally though lol(not srs lol(well maybe srs(wait, wat?))))) have ten-fold the respect and pride towards the USA that these suckass dolts claim to have. That's why I fully agree with their punishment, these assholes don't even deserve to look at the flag, let alone display it in such a demeaning manner. It really says something when you appear to be a better candidate for deportation than the immigrants you're "standing up against", doesn't it?

+1 Well wrote and thought of
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Looks like we both saw the truth.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

One sentence you write I dont know if the principal's choice was racist or not, "I can't say, Im not him". Then you tell us what the highschool students were thinking and what they understand about American pride and what they care about. I understand your thinking, high school kids what can they know about true pride. I was rasied my whole life with American pride, in highschool yes I was a young republican, yes I shook Bushs hand in 2004 when we skipped school just to see them speak. All im saying is in High school I was very politcal, did reasearch about politics almost every night. Im not saying the kids had good intentions or not all im saying is what happened to I dont know how they felt, I'm not them. Which was perfectly fine for you to say about the principal but when it came to the kids you called them "assholes who dont even deserve to look at a flag."
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-07-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    One sentence you write I dont know if the principal's choice was racist or not, "I can't say, Im not him". Then you tell us what the highschool students were thinking and what they understand about American pride and what they care about. I understand your thinking, high school kids what can they know about true pride. I was rasied my whole life with American pride, in highschool yes I was a young republican, yes I shook Bushs hand in 2004 when we skipped school just to see them speak. All im saying is in High school I was very politcal, did reasearch about politics almost every night. Im not saying the kids had good intentions or not all im saying is what happened to I dont know how they felt, I'm not them. Which was perfectly fine for you to say about the principal but when it came to the kids you called them "assholes who dont even deserve to look at a flag."
    Excellent counter-argument. I suppose I do sound hypocritical, and I do know that there are many young people well-versed in politics (Sometimes even more so than many adults, which is worrying), however the impression I got from the video, which would have been influenced by stereotypes I hold, is that these aren't the type of kids you cited in your post.

Again, I admit my biases because I know I hold great contempt towards highschoolers who think they know everything (And even people my own age).

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Um... there is this little thing called the "Oath of Allegiance" It's an oath that must be taken by all immigrants who wish to become United States citizens. Nuff said!!!

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

So, those students celebrating the military victories of Mexico, a country that wasn't good enough for them to stay loyal, a country that kept them in poverty, a country that they felt the strong need to migrate from, legally or illegally... how can they find it disrespectful for students to show pride and loyalty to this country, the United States of America. The very country that has given immigrants 'opportunity' they wouldn't have had otherwise in Mexico?

To me, it's beyond unreasonable and a slap in the face to all Americans.

The school itself was active in the celebration. Perhaps the only 'holidays' that our schools should participate in are American holidays. I mean after all, we are ALL Americans, right? They've already taken religious holiday observation out of our schools to appease those who don't celebrate. So, why should immigrants be allowed to celebrate military victories of foreign countries in our public schools while at the same time disallowing a show of pride in this country...

It's not right.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Excellent counter-argument. I suppose I do sound hypocritical, and I do know that there are many young people well-versed in politics (Sometimes even more so than many adults, which is worrying), however the impression I got from the video, which would have been influenced by stereotypes I hold, is that these aren't the type of kids you cited in your post.

Again, I admit my biases because I know I hold great contempt towards highschoolers who think they know everything (And even people my own age).
    I strongly dislike highschool kids who act the same way, even though im sure i had some of that attitude back then aswell. But in my school american flags and shirts were welcome although i will say in the midwest the hispanic population doesnt hold a candle to CA. But CA is still a American state. 3 kids even wore a shirt that were a spoof of the 9-11 united we stand shirts that said united we fall. Well those kids got there asses kicked just like the kids who said "fuck the troops cause they made the choice to sign up in the military" and those shirts were ban so I understand how something as simple as a shirt can cause high schoolers to fight(myself included). But an American pride shirt in America should never be frowned upon because of the fact its a holiday no matter what holiday that may be.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-07-2010 at 08:38 AM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Can someone remind me what the fuck country we are living in? This shit just blows my fucking mind. Fuck the whole "trying to keep it safe bullshit". Thats the fucking problem. Its THE KIDS that bitched, the fact that they even have the audacity to say something knowing the administration would just cave in is a problem. We americans just fucking cave in way too easy any more. To not be able to wear the colors and american flag in america blows me away. Everyday I see puerto rican and colombian flags. Keep it up people, they are fucking taking over and were letting it happen. California isnt even a US state anymore. Its just North Mexico

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

One other thing.... If they are so fuckin proud of mexican independence why the hell didnt they just stay there if its so great?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    One other thing.... If they are so fuckin proud of mexican independence why the hell didnt they just stay there if its so great?
    hah. okay how long till St Pattys day? cant wait to break this rule, i bet at least 50% of the people here have Irish heritage muahaha.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    hah. okay how long till St Pattys day? cant wait to break this rule, i bet at least 50% of the people here have Irish heritage muahaha.
    Irish people would never bitch about this. Not to mention Irish-americans are probably some of the most patriotic people you'll ever meet. I'm willing to bet the NYFD is like half irish-american

I mention NYFD because well, if you met some of those guys you'd get what im gettin at.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

st. patrick's day is to celebrate st. patrick, not mexican independence

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Can someone remind me what the fuck country we are living in? This shit just blows my fucking mind. Fuck the whole "trying to keep it safe bullshit". Thats the fucking problem. Its THE KIDS that bitched, the fact that they even have the audacity to say something knowing the administration would just cave in is a problem. We americans just fucking cave in way too easy any more. To not be able to wear the colors and american flag in america blows me away. Everyday I see puerto rican and colombian flags. Keep it up people, they are fucking taking over and were letting it happen. California isnt even a US state anymore. Its just North Mexico
    North mexico lol that's classic

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

wow you going hard on them man........................i hate to say it but i agree with you on this one man

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    st. patrick's day is to celebrate st. patrick, not mexican independence
    display American pride on Irish holiday = .. kicked off campus? news coverage? profit?

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

The thing is that CA bolnged to mexico. It actually still does unoficially.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information