Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Z28 View Post
    Umm, just curious why you think BMC beers are crap?

They produce millions of gallons of beer and consistently produce a high quality no off taste beer. Please keep in mind that making a light or regular lager is one of the hardest beers to make. It will show off flavors just because of a minor error in the brewing process. Even a change in the water profile can make a difference in beer flavor. Which is why they create their very own profile every time they brew beer. So, I think what they do is very impressive. I make my own beer, and I can't imagine doing what they do on such a high level of quality control.

Do I drink their beer, yes in fact I do. Because drinking a heavier beer gets old over time. Hell, I had to stop drinking my pumpkin spice beer last weekend, and move onto a light beer, just because it's too filling.

I honestly think people talk shit about BMC beers, because most of the time they're cheaper then the micro breweries. So, they want to try and brag about buying a more expensive beer then most.

Shit, I make beer for about $.25 a pint. And it's damn good, as I've been told by many people they prefer it over commercially bought beer. So, just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's bad.
    Bland may have been a better word to use in my case. For me it has more to do with taste as opposed to anything else. Price has nothing to do with it. I prefer an ale over a lager.

My beer tastes were changed considerably when I was in Europe back in the 70's (courtesy of Uncle Sam). That exposed me to a greater variety of barley pop (so to speak) than was commonly available in the US at the time. You could find imported beers but you had to go looking for them. Good old Bud, Miller and Coors (your BMC) just didn't have the taste I'd acquired after that.

Do they brew a consistant quality product? Of course. Do they brew millions of gallons a year? Yes. Does it sell? Obviously.

I was delighted when all the microbreweries started springing up in the 90's. More choice for a tastier product IMHO.

Blue
    1984 Camaro

High Life > Lite > MGD

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Harp is a good beer as is Becks. Heineken is okay. Bud lite lime is a travesty and Ice is good b/c of the high alcohol content. Obviously you like to drink crap beers. My favorite beer is the Dogfish Head 90min IPA.
    That stuff rules! Have you ever tried, or can you find, Three Floyd's Alpha King? Almost everything Three Floyd's makes is fantastic. Even their wheat beer is hoppy, I like it and I generally avoid wheats.

90 minute > almost any other beer. I like ales over lagers as well.

Black
    '99 SS

Shiner Bock.
    Löwenbräu if I'm feelin' all fansy pants.

If there is a microbrewery near you named "BJs" (http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/) try their PM Porter. It is awesome.

"This nitrogen-conditioned dark ale is surprisingly smooth and drinkable. Caramel, molasses, and chocolate flavors fill the palate. Its sweet start is perfectly balanced by a roasted dry finish."

Smoothest ale I've ever drank, period.
    Last edited by Tonik; 11-30-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    Shiner Bock.
    Löwenbräu if I'm feelin' all fansy pants.

If there is a microbrewery near you named "BJs" (http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/) try their PM Porter. It is awesome.

"This nitrogen-conditioned dark ale is surprisingly smooth and drinkable. Caramel, molasses, and chocolate flavors fill the palate. Its sweet start is perfectly balanced by a roasted dry finish."

Smoothest ale I've ever drank, period.
    Just about any beer could benefit from N2 over CO2. You get a much smoother and creamier mouth feel over CO2. I haven't experimented with it yet, but I have a few brew buddies that have messed around with it, and it produced a completely different beer when you compared the exact same beer with CO2. Granted, it didn't taste any different but just had a very interesting mouth feel.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

That's because that's a style of beer in Europe. They're typical lager is not like the larger from US. That's why ever European lager has that skunky flavor to it. Plus, the hops they use also add to the bitterness and skunky flavor.

Try their Oktoberfest or Dark styles and you'll get a much different brew. Still a little skunky, but much more tolerable if you're not a fan of that style of beer.
    Duly noted! Thanks for the info.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Just about any beer could benefit from N2 over CO2. You get a much smoother and creamier mouth feel over CO2. I haven't experimented with it yet, but I have a few brew buddies that have messed around with it, and it produced a completely different beer when you compared the exact same beer with CO2. Granted, it didn't taste any different but just had a very interesting mouth feel.
    I've been thinking about switching gases in my kegerator, to Nitrogen. I usually get Pale Ale kegs from a local Brewpub (Alcatraz), and push it with CO2. Do you know if you need a different regulator set-up for the nitrogen.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

I used to drink High Life when I started drinking. Then moved to darker beers. I like Miller Lite, but usually drink Newcastle, Red Oak (local micro brew), or something with an amber-darker color.
    Corey L.
    Lexington, NC

Play 4x4 Country

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!

Black
    2000 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I've been thinking about switching gases in my kegerator, to Nitrogen. I usually get Pale Ale kegs from a local Brewpub (Alcatraz), and push it with CO2. Do you know if you need a different regulator set-up for the nitrogen.
    Yes, you'd need a different regulator. And you would also benefit from a different faucet. A regular forward and back style faucet just doesn't want to pour right. That's why you see a different style of faucet on stouts.

Really, it's not worth to switch, because of the added cost. But if you have money to burn try it out.

Here are a few links to the supplies you'd need.

Link
    Link2

And of course you'd either need to rent or purchase a full tank of N2. The tanks are about the same cost of a CO2 tank empty. Around $100. And I'm not sure what the cost is for a refill on N2. All I know is it costs me about $12 to swap my CO2 tanks. I'd say it can't be much more then that, maybe $20?

You might be able to find the parts cheaper at a welding store, but that's one of my favorite HBS. It's also located in MN, which makes things even better.

Here are a few more HBS.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/
    http://www.midwestsupplies.com/
    Midwest is also one of my favorite HBS.

http://www.micromatic.com/
    Could be a place to get parts as well.

Also, I'm not sure what pressures to run, since I haven't done any N2 "carbing"(gotta use that word since I'm just used to it) If you know anyone with knowledge of N2 in comparison to CO2, then you could use the CO2 reference charts.

http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com...rbonation.html

Hope that helps.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Hey, thanks for the info. Not sure if I want to spend another $135 or so on beer right now, but I have save a buttload of $$$ by having a kegerator! Probably save more than that in 4 months (wife likes the beer too!).

Black
    2000 Pontiac Formula

Hey, thanks for the info. Not sure if I want to spend another $135 or so on beer right now, but I have save a buttload of $$$ by having a kegerator! Probably save more than that in 4 months (wife likes the beer too!).
    Yeah, I can see where you're coming. Plus, you really don't need to do it. Like I said, you can get a benefit from it, but mainly mouth feel.

That's why Guinness has that bold mouth feel, but still has that smooth finish.

Ha, you think you're saving on 1/2 barrels. Try making some home brew. Like I said, I can make about 5 gallons of your typical light lager for about $18/5 gallon. Then make make a very good dry hopped IPA for about $23/5 gallons.

It can get even cheaper then that. Totally depends on where you get your grain, and what method of brewing your doing. You can easily make a $12 5/gallon beer that will taste just as good as any BMC beer. It may not look as pretty since it won't be filtered, but it will taste pretty damn good.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

You, as a home brewer, know that you really don't want to filter it. Just let the thick stuff fall to the bottom. Have you ever had a tour of Anchor Brewing in Cali? I've been there twice, they filter their Liberty Ale only with Liberty hops! They run all the beer thru the hops as a filter! Another reason this type of beer costs more, more flavor than the BMC style, it costs a lot more to make.

I get my kegs for about $100. I wanted to make nice hoppy aroma IPAs with my home brewing attempts, but they usually came out tasting like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Not a bad beer, but not what I wanted to make, for the 3-4 hour effort per batch. Then there was the carboy incident. It broke when I was cleaning it, slippery when wet and it doesn't like hitting concrete.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Formula

You, as a home brewer, know that you really don't want to filter it. Just let the thick stuff fall to the bottom. Have you ever had a tour of Anchor Brewing in Cali? I've been there twice, they filter their Liberty Ale only with Liberty hops! They run all the beer thru the hops as a filter! Another reason this type of beer costs more, more flavor than the BMC style, it costs a lot more to make.

I get my kegs for about $100. I wanted to make nice hoppy aroma IPAs with my home brewing attempts, but they usually came out tasting like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Not a bad beer, but not what I wanted to make, for the 3-4 hour effort per batch. Then there was the carboy incident. It broke when I was cleaning it, slippery when wet and it doesn't like hitting concrete.
    Never been there, but I have been to all of the breweries located here in MN. All good times.

Actually, I know a few people that filter via a hop filter. Adds a little extra punch if you're a hop head.

Link

See, I'm not a fan of glass carboys just because of what you ran into. I've heard/read some real horror stories when dealing with them...IE breaking in hands, and just bloody messes. Not worth it to me, plus I brew alone a lot of the time. So, I always ferment with buckets. Hell, I even stopped secondary fermentation. I just leave it in the bucket and let it sit for about 12-13 days. Or whenever I hit the gravity reading I want. If I do dry hopping, then I will use a better bottle. Which is just a PET carboy. But, buckets are SOOO easy to clean.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Heineken draft is amazing
    It gives me amazing gas

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Never been there, but I have been to all of the breweries located here in MN. All good times.

Actually, I know a few people that filter via a hop filter. Adds a little extra punch if you're a hop head.

Link

See, I'm not a fan of glass carboys just because of what you ran into. I've heard/read some real horror stories when dealing with them...IE breaking in hands, and just bloody messes. Not worth it to me, plus I brew alone a lot of the time. So, I always ferment with buckets. Hell, I even stopped secondary fermentation. I just leave it in the bucket and let it sit for about 12-13 days. Or whenever I hit the gravity reading I want. If I do dry hopping, then I will use a better bottle. Which is just a PET carboy. But, buckets are SOOO easy to clean.
    Oh yeah, my wife had left the house about 5 minutes before the carboy incident. When it fell and exploded, my first thought was, "wow that was close!" Then I found out my right big toe and my left forearm were bleeding pretty bad. It was hard to go up the stairs holding the wounds closed! Had my left hand on my right toe, right hand on my left wrist, you get the idea! Didn't want to go to the hospital and get stitched up and leave a bloody mess for the wife to find when she came back, so I have a couple minor scars.

That hop filter looks nice! I and my friends are confirmed hop heads. I grow cascade and centennial in my backyard, this year I experimented and used a coffee press to strain some beer thru for a real nice aroma. I did find out, tho, if you leave the fresh hops in the beer too long, it will give it a too much of a "green" taste. I don't use the hops for anything else anymore, but I've given a couple pounds away to a home brewer and he gave me a couple six packs of his beer with the hops I gave him. Pretty good stuff.

I got a case out by the shop now since they were out of miller lite which is down to 13 bucks a case... no wonder its sold out. But high life isn't bad, better than alot of other crap they call beer!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Like Keystone LOL

Black
    2000 Pontiac Formula

Oh yeah, my wife had left the house about 5 minutes before the carboy incident. When it fell and exploded, my first thought was, "wow that was close!" Then I found out my right big toe and my left forearm were bleeding pretty bad. It was hard to go up the stairs holding the wounds closed! Had my left hand on my right toe, right hand on my left wrist, you get the idea! Didn't want to go to the hospital and get stitched up and leave a bloody mess for the wife to find when she came back, so I have a couple minor scars.

That hop filter looks nice! I and my friends are confirmed hop heads. I grow cascade and centennial in my backyard, this year I experimented and used a coffee press to strain some beer thru for a real nice aroma. I did find out, tho, if you leave the fresh hops in the beer too long, it will give it a too much of a "green" taste. I don't use the hops for anything else anymore, but I've given a couple pounds away to a home brewer and he gave me a couple six packs of his beer with the hops I gave him. Pretty good stuff.
    Holy crap, you have Centennial hops in your yard? Those things are worth their weight in gold, literally. A buddy and I are really into Bell's Two Hearted Ale, and that requires like 9oz of centennial hops. We have to spend like $90 to make 10 gallons of beerwhen hops were at record highs a year or so ago.

A buddy of mine grows cascade hops in his back yard. Which is great, because it's the perfect hop for a nice pale ale, or even for dry hopping.

A couple of pounds....wow you must have a few plants growing to produce so much.

I've probably shown this before, but here's my current little setup. Perfect for two 5 callon cornies.

My SNPA Clone

This is about how clear my beer normally gets. Not bad.

Nice Lacing.

By the way, if you haven't converted to forward sealing faucets.....well you really should. Probably the best upgrade I've done to my kegerator by far. No more sticky faucets.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Umm, just curious why you think BMC beers are crap?

They produce millions of gallons of beer and consistently produce a high quality no off taste beer. Please keep in mind that making a light or regular lager is one of the hardest beers to make. It will show off flavors just because of a minor error in the brewing process. Even a change in the water profile can make a difference in beer flavor. Which is why they create their very own profile every time they brew beer. So, I think what they do is very impressive. I make my own beer, and I can't imagine doing what they do on such a high level of quality control.

Do I drink their beer, yes in fact I do. Because drinking a heavier beer gets old over time. Hell, I had to stop drinking my pumpkin spice beer last weekend, and move onto a light beer, just because it's too filling.

I honestly think people talk shit about BMC beers, because most of the time they're cheaper then the micro breweries. So, they want to try and brag about buying a more expensive beer then most.

Shit, I make beer for about $.25 a pint. And it's damn good, as I've been told by many people they prefer it over commercially bought beer. So, just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's bad.
    I agree, a lot of people do that to look sophisticated. If you like the taste, that's cool I guess.

-Miller High Life- Personally I like it. It's CHEAP and tastes really good IMHO.
    -BUD ICE- I like this quite a bit too. Tastes a bit different than light, but good.
    -Old Milwaukee- If you know a little bit about beer, you should know, even though this beer is cheap, it's won taste awards for a reason. And it's got some history behind it.

I drink a lot of different flavors, but these are among the regular purchases.

EDIT: I wish I could find Old Milwaukee Ice around here, i've never seen it.
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 12-03-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information