Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by tallnick View Post
    Ok I will admit when I make a mistake and say that I am not the surest on the intel world.. It is not my forte that is for certain. What type of jobs are you looking at getting when you get out? My job might be hiring trainers.. a bunch of the current trainers are 20+ year Green Berets..

But this is a blanket statement to anyone who wants to go into the infantry.. it is great times and bad times.. you will work your ass off more than you even thought possible. You will get sleep deprived and other times you will be bored off your ass. You will make some of the most interesting friends. They will be some of the closest friends you will ever have... and will continue being friends with them probably for the rest of your life. Oh and the food will suck.. and if you want to move up you better be a damn good runner and can do a fuck ton of pull ups..

Down side of it is.. when you get out of the corps.. Today I got this directly from a VA rep.. infantry guys are the hardest for them to find jobs for. The best way for them to find jobs is if you are disabled.. So I highly suggest getting some education unless like packy says..your a shit hot grunt and can move up in the infantry food chain..
    Who said I was getting out completely and I was only a grunt for a year! I will let you figure that one out. I may still work in the Gov. sector. You are also correct Infantry has very little that you can transfer into the real world but if you decide to do infantry long term it is beneficial to get into the SF world because there are loads of options available for you after that. You said it yourself. Also you need to know a language preferably Pashto, Arabic, or Farsi. However the more the better.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Yea i mean, I'm a C student at the moment, so my grades aren't the greatest but hopefully I can get in some kind of state college, if not it's time for the military .
    Yeah me too! I had the potential to do better and I did in some classes but mostly I wanted to just be done with school by my senior year. I have since done some college while I was in but as mentioned earlier it is hard to do with some jobs. I was an instructor for a few years so I had a pretty regular schedule to accomodate that sort of stuff. You really have to know if the military is for you though. So talk to as many military people as you can so you can get a better perspective on the military and that will help you in making a decision.

White
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K_CAMARO View Post
    I was in NAS. True, you do make new friends and you become close to them
    Right on...was just curious...I've done a year total on Corry....been there twice.
    My A school was there....went back years later for another.

dale

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by iam_dale View Post
    Right on...was just curious...I've done a year total on Corry....been there twice.

dale

I was on Corry once for about a month long course. It was not too bad.

2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Who said I was getting out completely and I was only a grunt for a year! I will let you figure that one out. I may still work in the Gov. sector. You are also correct Infantry has very little that you can transfer into the real world but if you decide to do infantry long term it is beneficial to get into the SF world because there are loads of options available for you after that. You said it yourself. Also you need to know a language preferably Pashto, Arabic, or Farsi. However the more the better.
    Keep in mind that not everyone is such a pt stud like yourself.. what only about 1 to 5% of Marines make it to recon and force recon? Plus something tells me your not your average line company recon bubba.. I agree about the language.. I tried to get into NCIS and was basically turned down because my language skills were limited. Most gov't agencies these days want bi lingual or tri lingual..

Man I wonder if you ever met one of my trainers.. he was in the green berets for 20+ years and recently retired.. The guy is cool as shit.. like would barely mention he was in the army even.. turns out some of the guys found out that he has 5 bronze stars..

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Keep in mind that not everyone is such a pt stud like yourself.. what only about 1 to 5% of Marines make it to recon and force recon? Plus something tells me your not your average line company recon bubba.. I agree about the language.. I tried to get into NCIS and was basically turned down because my language skills were limited. Most gov't agencies these days want bi lingual or tri lingual..

Man I wonder if you ever met one of my trainers.. he was in the green berets for 20+ years and recently retired.. The guy is cool as shit.. like would barely mention he was in the army even.. turns out some of the guys found out that he has 5 bronze stars..

That is correct out of what 208,000 only about 3,000 are in the occ. field and it has been greatly expanded, almost doubled, since 2005. I spent my time in the lines as Lance cooley and junior NCO then moved on to Force/other assignments. I worked hard and it has paid off. Maybe I do know him. It would be interesting to see.

2006 GTO

That is correct out of what 208,000 only about 3,000 are in the occ. field and it has been greatly expanded, almost doubled, since 2005. I spent my time in the lines as Lance cooley and junior NCO then moved on to Force/other assignments. I worked hard and it has paid off. Maybe I do know him. It would be interesting to see.

You made it to nco within 1 year of being in?

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

You made it to nco within 1 year of being in?
    It was 2 yrs Cpl and 3yrs 2 months to Sgt.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Yeah me too! I had the potential to do better and I did in some classes but mostly I wanted to just be done with school by my senior year. I have since done some college while I was in but as mentioned earlier it is hard to do with some jobs. I was an instructor for a few years so I had a pretty regular schedule to accomodate that sort of stuff. You really have to know if the military is for you though. So talk to as many military people as you can so you can get a better perspective on the military and that will help you in making a decision.
    Yea man I know the military is no joke, I'm gonna talk to alot of military guys if getting grades doesn't work out for me anymore. It was working last year, I was doin good but this year, I'm a C student for some reason. Only the first quarter though, it's bound to change.

White
    02 WS6

I was on Corry once for about a month long course. It was not too bad.
    About when? I was there the first time from August 98 - April 99...second time Sept 2003 - April 2004.

dale

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Ok to Transamws6:

No one has really said this yet and I'll tell you straight up. Based off your responses you might not fare too well in the military. I honestly believe this. Now I've seen some real idiots make it through. I'm not saying that's you. I'm saying these idiots WANTED to be in the military. I can kinda tell it might be rough for you. I left home for 6 months straight when I joined. Didn't see my friends or family for that long. It sounds like you are pretty attached. So just try to imagine that, and while you aren't around your friends and family, this will probably be the toughest time of your life and it's gonna be hard to communicate with your friends and family for quite a while.

You'll be someone's bitch for a long time. I was a grown man used to doing things on my own before I joined, I lived on my own, I held jobs where I was a supervisor and telling other people what to do. All that changed and I was someones bitch for 3 years till I put on E-4. It was completely ridiculous in my opinion. Why is someone dumber than me telling me what to do? On top of that I was forced to live in the dormitories for 3 years, some branches you stay in the dorms even longer. I lived in ahouse before that you know, and the military thinks I can't handle living on my own at age 22.

If you got any questions feel free to ask.

The military can be a good thing for some people, but if you don't WANT to do it, then please don't, because you will regret it, DAY ONE.
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 10-29-2009 at 03:20 PM.

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Since we're on the topic I have a couple questions:

What are the different time commitments to serve across the branches (4 year, 6 year, etc)?

Do those commitments differ based on an enlisted or officer rank?

Is there any assistance available from the military to help pay back federal student loans, if the person completed their degree before they joined the military?
    Army enlistment(can change based on MOS and needs of the Army) is 2,3,4, or 6 year. Officer commitment is 3 year non scholarship, 4 year ROTC scholarship, 5 year West Point.

All contracts are an eight year commitment with the remaining years in the IRR. Which means you can be called back is all hell breaks loose or your MOS is needed. If you do a four year contract you have four active and four IRR; six year, six years active 2 years IRR.

Yes there are ways to get your degree payed for if you have already finished. There is a loan repayment program which you can sign up for depending on the length of your contract.

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Wow lotta soilders in here lol, i'm not gonna be a post whore and reply to every single one of these comments but theres a lotta useful information on here. Thanks guys, I don't know about going into the military, I don't think I'm cut out for it, think I'll just go ahead and stick to college lol.
    Just from your posting on here you sound like you are a spoiled brat who needs mommy and daddy. Maybe you are not but that is the impression I get. So either the military would give you the kick in the ass you need or you would be one of the guys doing everything possible to get out and just be a pain in some NCO's ass

2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by infantryws6 View Post
    Just from your posting on here you sound like you are a spoiled brat who needs mommy and daddy. Maybe you are not but that is the impression I get. So either the military would give you the kick in the ass you need or you would be one of the guys doing everything possible to get out and just be a pain in some NCO's ass

Good ole infantry never afraid to let you know how he really feels..

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

ror

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

dale
    Never been to Corry. P-cola wasn't that bad though. Cute girls there, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Ok to Transamws6:

No one has really said this yet and I'll tell you straight up. Based off your responses you might not fare too well in the military. I honestly believe this. Now I've seen some real idiots make it through. I'm not saying that's you. I'm saying these idiots WANTED to be in the military. I can kinda tell it might be rough for you. I left home for 6 months straight when I joined. Didn't see my friends or family for that long. It sounds like you are pretty attached. So just try to imagine that, and while you aren't around your friends and family, this will probably be the toughest time of your life and it's gonna be hard to communicate with your friends and family for quite a while.

You'll be someone's bitch for a long time. I was a grown man used to doing things on my own before I joined, I lived on my own, I held jobs where I was a supervisor and telling other people what to do. All that changed and I was someones bitch for 3 years till I put on E-4. It was completely ridiculous in my opinion. Why is someone dumber than me telling me what to do? On top of that I was forced to live in the dormitories for 3 years, some branches you stay in the dorms even longer. I lived in ahouse before that you know, and the military thinks I can't handle living on my own at age 22.

If you got any questions feel free to ask.

The military can be a good thing for some people, but if you don't WANT to do it, then please don't, because you will regret it, DAY ONE.
    So ture. Someone's bitch for everything. But once you become an NCO, things change...your the SNCO's bitch, lol. But thats ok, cause all the E-3's and below become your bitches
    Tell it like it is, lol. Do you ever hear, "this LCpl dont know"? That pisses me off so bad, they always say some shit like that when they are getting their asses chewed or dont know something

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

About when? I was there the first time from August 98 - April 99...second time Sept 2003 - April 2004.

dale
    July of 1999

artic white
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

I am sorry this is just a big pet peeve of mine. No one is a Green Beret. It is a hat that we wear. You are not in the Green Berets you are in SF. Sorry that just always bugs me.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
    Thomas Jefferson

2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by krusemj View Post
    I am sorry this is just a big pet peeve of mine. No one is a Green Beret. It is a hat that we wear. You are not in the Green Berets you are in SF. Sorry that just always bugs me.
    oh I know they never EVER said the phrase green beret.. they always just called it the big boys league.. but out of curiosity isn't there actual divisions in the SF? I have ran across guys that wore SF tabs that definitely were support type of elements..

artic white
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

We do have support guys in our groups if that is what you mean. But you dont wear the long tab unless you have been through the Q-course. If you are assigned to a group as support you do wear the unit patch along with a red beret.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information