Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by jakez28 View Post
    Let me justsay if your willing to spend that much on a car that are basically ten years old, aim for something that's totally stock, totally stock with low miles are worth just as much as a cammed ls1 with minor mods except usually not beaten on. instead of worrying about what you wanna do to it(considering you don't have one yet) worry about finding a well maintained one. I'm a tech and looking at those craigslist postings you posted, those are cars I typiccaly tend to stay away from they were just really altered or fu*%ed with. take your time don't rush and once you get one then worry about what you wanna do then cause all are different and all have their problems (flaws). with that said be careful , these cars are plenty fun I'd have to say though

Good to have a tech on here to help. Thanks for the advice. I'll change my search parameters

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Well I'm thinking of going old school so that I have a classic while they're still relatively cheap and so that I can learn how to work on cars with it instead of a car with tons of electronics

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by garner View Post
    Well I'm thinking of going old school so that I have a classic while they're still relatively cheap and so that I can learn how to work on cars with it instead of a car with tons of electronics
    When I was looking for my first V8 car I too was split between a newer LS1 car or an older classic. I was primarily looking at 2nd gen Camaros and T/A's, beautiful cars. I'm no expert but if your going to be buying a classic in that year/price range your basically going to be paying for looks and pedigree and not performance, that is if they come with the stock motors. Emissions killed those cars during the late 70's and 80's. Different story if you can find an early 2nd gen or 1st gen.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    When I was looking for my first V8 car I too was split between a newer LS1 car or an older classic. I was primarily looking at 2nd gen Camaros and T/A's, beautiful cars. I'm no expert but if your going to be buying a classic in that year/price range your basically going to be paying for looks and pedigree and not performance, that is if they come with the stock motors. Emissions killed those cars during the late 70's and 80's. Different story if you can find an early 2nd gen or 1st gen.

Well good thing about those is no emissions testing cause they are older than 24 and most counties in Texas don't do emissions so I can take all that off and get performance back. One I found was a 1979 with 1973 454 motor for 4k so do you know if that would have the emissions equipment?

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Well good thing about those is no emissions testing cause they are older than 24 and most counties in Texas don't do emissions so I can take all that off and get performance back. One I found was a 1979 with 1973 454 motor for 4k so do you know if that would have the emissions equipment?
    I know absolutely 0 about the motors in classics. BUT I don't think the early 70's motors had all the emissions crap. I think that started up in 77', I'm not sure though. There's also the option of throwing in a crate motor into a nice roller. Hopefully someone with some actual knowledge about these cars will chime in.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Bump

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

IIRC, a 79 would have a catylic converter, EGR, A.I.R. and an electronic carb... In otherwords, smack dab in the middle of all the worst smog crap the Detroit automakers (and the FEDS) had to offer.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Honestly, you are really too young and inexperienced to be driving an LS1. They pack quite a punch and have a LOT of horses under the hood. And you know you will want to show off for all your friends, let alone driving it at your high school. My first Camaro was a 1995 V6 (the small 3.4L engine too) when I was 18, drove that for 3 years. I learned how Camaros handle, as well as driving with rear-wheel drive, and didn't have to worry about having too much power. It kept me from showing off cause it wasn't that fast, but it did look awesome. After getting used to that car and realizing that I was mature enough, I bought the 2000 SS. Just my advice.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    IIRC, a 79 would have a catylic converter, EGR, A.I.R. and an electronic carb... In otherwords, smack dab in the middle of all the worst smog crap the Detroit automakers (and the FEDS) had to offer.
    How hard is it to take these off? Cause in Texas there are no emission inspections in my county and it's old enough to where there are no inspections for it

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Ya know when I was 16 looking for my first v8 I got so sick of everyone telling me I was inexperienced. So when I got my 86 IROC red with black trim I showed everyone that I could handle the car just fine. Not only did I turn a few heads,but acquired 7 pages of a driving record and a few suspensions doing it. Now when I think back on those days I wish I didn't kick the ever living crap out of that thing cause it would be parked next to my 00 bird today. DAM I HAD FUN IN THAT THING!!!!

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I think you're too young for one of these cars. Your 15? I thought you couldn't get a license til your 16? If I were your mom I'd be getting you a V6. When I was 16 I got a 65 stang that my dad made fast from get go, and all that happened was I got a driving record a mile long and lots of heartache.

My daughter is 14 and got the HONOR of driving the TA the other day. Even tho she's known how to drive a manual since she was ten.

Something just seems fishy about your story.

Remember what happened to Hulk Hogans boy cause he had a fast car and was 16? Smack into a pole. Get some experience first.

Anyway, good luck!!

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by jodibonds View Post
    I think you're too young for one of these cars. Your 15? I thought you couldn't get a license til your 16? If I were your mom I'd be getting you a V6. When I was 16 I got a 65 stang that my dad made fast from get go, and all that happened was I got a driving record a mile long and lots of heartache.

My daughter is 14 and got the HONOR of driving the TA the other day. Even tho she's known how to drive a manual since she was ten.

Something just seems fishy about your story.

Remember what happened to Hulk Hogans boy cause he had a fast car and was 16? Smack into a pole. Get some experience first.

Anyway, good luck!!
    My mom doesn't care about how much power it has or what it costs cause she had a 69 camaro with a 454 when she was 16. I guess you could call me a spoiled rich kid, but I take care of my stuff

Pewter
    2001 Trans-Am

Hey everybody! I'm 15 and live in harker heights texas. I'm looking to buy a 1998-2002 LS1 camaro or its cousin the firebird as a secondary car that may become primary. I was wondering if anybody had any things to look and watch out for and which years are better? It will preferably be an automatic, but may be a stick. My budget is $10,000 - $15,000, but am looking to be under $10,000 so I have extra money for modifications. Insurance is not an issue and will be paying cash for the camaro

Thank you for the help!
    I am selling my 01 WS6 T/A its pewter and is all stock except for an electronic cut-out. I replaced the stock speakers, and im doing a tune-up on it today actually. looking to get $11,000 for it.

Oh, and i only live about 3 and a half hours away from you.... im in San Angelo Texas

Check the car out if your interested..... http://www.wix.com/clichese/forsale
    Last edited by Clichese; 10-15-2010 at 06:00 AM.

Pewter
    2001 Trans-Am

But you know the cars that are coming out now are full of electronics, and before too long older cars will not be around often..... my opinion....work little with the old ones then learn to take apart one filled with electronics
    i love the older ones though

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

i bought my 2000 z28 M6 when i was 18 and you really should listen to everyone saying "be careful" because these ls1 cars are easy to put in a guardrail..

my first car was actually a POS 1993 buick lesabre with a 3.8L in it.. and i hauled ass in that thing thru high school and got used to driving, etc. and then I busted ass to buy my z28 and knew how much work it took to buy one.

on the 2nd night of owning the car, it was really damp out. friend was like "whats this ASR button do?"

and I said "i have no clue, lets see" so i pushed it off (i figured it was some form of traction control)

what do you know, next thing i know i'm sideways on a semi major road sliding all over the place... i was totally not expecting it, but i had control of it. it was a big surprise.. (granted, those tires on that car initially were the ORIGINAL ONES from factory...)

so in short, take it easy with the car until you get used to it. i dont even let my 50 yr old parents drive it because of this reason

there are people who get really nice stuff handed to them and respect/baby the car to death.. but 80% of the time its more likely that they beat it to hell
    so if you're in that 20% that dont, good
    Last edited by mammoth713; 10-15-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post

so in short, take it easy with the car until you get used to it. i dont even let my 50 yr old parents drive it because of this reason

there are people who get really nice stuff handed to them and respect/baby the car to death.. but 80% of the time its more likely that they beat it to hell
    so if you're in that 20% that dont, good
    this. most people underestimate how much dangerous these cars are. I too don't let any one drive my z28 unless they have had prior experience with a high power RWD V8. I learned to do that the hard way after letting a friend drive it around a parking lot. The kid drove a pos manual civic, so he thought that since it was an automatic he'd have no problem with it, WRONG! First thing he did was hit the noise maker half way down and immediately we began fish tailing and he barely missed smacking my car smack into a light pole. Needless to say he scared the shit out of us both and by the time I was done chewing him out he was shaking a little bit
    The only person I let drive my car is my dad, end of story.

Junior Member 2001-CamaroSS-LS1's Avatar

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

these cars have a very light ass and WILL give out on you very easily...as said before..if you do not have experience with a car that has 325+ hp then you need to be careful with these cars...not to sound like a dick here, but comparing a kia to an ls1 f-body is the first sign that you shouldnt buy one of these cars...and yes..you are a 16 year old kid..and you admitted you beat the hell out of a kia..i can imagne that you drive fast like a 16 year old would...you do that in a ls1..you will kill yourself and these cars have serious temptation to drive fast but these cars WILL show YOU whos boss if you dont drive it right....once again..not trying to be a dick..just helping you out so you dont kill yourself like every other stupid teenager who thinks they are cool in a camaro or trans am..im 22 and my camaro scares the shit outta me sometimes..trust me..its not fun when you assend wants to kick out on ya

in short...just be easy with it and get used to the car..become one with the car..haha

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by 2001-CamaroSS-LS1 View Post
    these cars have a very light ass and WILL give out on you very easily...as said before..if you do not have experience with a car that has 325+ hp then you need to be careful with these cars...not to sound like a dick here, but comparing a kia to an ls1 f-body is the first sign that you shouldnt buy one of these cars...and yes..you are a 16 year old kid..and you admitted you beat the hell out of a kia..i can imagne that you drive fast like a 16 year old would...you do that in a ls1..you will kill yourself and these cars have serious temptation to drive fast but these cars WILL show YOU whos boss if you dont drive it right....once again..not trying to be a dick..just helping you out so you dont kill yourself like every other stupid teenager who thinks they are cool in a camaro or trans am..im 22 and my camaro scares the shit outta me sometimes..trust me..its not fun when you assend wants to kick out on ya

in short...just be easy with it and get used to the car..become one with the car..haha
    1st- Don't drive a kia. 2nd- I'm 15. This will probably more of a drag car with the only street driving being driving to the track

Junior Member 2001-CamaroSS-LS1's Avatar

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

i meant to say hyundai

Ray Charles blue

OP, if you get a C4 Corvette get 94+ because they are MAF and not Speed Density. Just saying you dont have to mess with "chips" when you tune them. I had a 94 and my dad has a 93. As far as working on them they are not that hard, not much different from the older small block engines. Oh, and if its in a Corvette you can get to just about everything, half of the engine is NOT under the dash...lol

As stated the LT1 in the F-body is similar, not exactly the same as the Corvette. The Corvettes get a better mid pipe, they have 4-bolt mains, and didnt they have larger injectors some of the years? Cant remember that about the last part but thought I saw that somewhere.

The 98-00 LS1's have the LS1 intake as noted, its not that the power falls off after 4500 rpm, its not quite as strong as the 01-02s. But, if you plan to mod and get rid of the factory stuff whats the difference? Also, the cams are different from 98-00 vs the 01-02. The 01-02 could have the LS6 block though, which is a plus but again shouldnt be a deal breaker.

One thing to think about is how heavy the car is. A C4 Corvette is quite a bit lighter than the F-body, even if the F-body has the LS1. A good running LT1 Corvette will still get beat in a drag race by an LS1 car............but after a few turns 1/4 mile racing wouldnt matter. Also, since you have a light built to handle sports car the Corvette would probably fit your driving style a litte more. The opti-spark is sort of the stepping stone to the LS1 coil packs. It has its issues but they are not THAT big of a deal. Or, if you want something that runs find a decent LT4 C4 and then you have more power and a fantastic handling car. After the first batch of LT4 cars came off the line they de-tuned them slightly. Though all rated at 330hp (conservatively) the early ones had more power than the LS1s......and that is not a lie.

LT1 or LT4 Corvette, LS1 F-body, doesnt matter................as long as its not wussy 4.6 modular engine you are doing well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information