Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Last of the Breed Pewter02Formula's Avatar

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Firebird Formula

Just got my letter yesterday. For those who are curious, here's the actual wording of the letter:

As the owner of a 2002 model year Pontiac Firebird your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2002 model year Pontiac Firebird vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 engine, may have a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your Pontiac dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the right and left catalytic converters. If this condition occurs on your 2002 Pontiac Firebird within 10 years of te date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever comes first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule an appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for the special coverage condition.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the Pontiac Customer Assistance Center between the hours of 8:00AM and 11:00PM, EST, Monday through Friday. They can be reached at 1.800.620.7668 (TTY 1.800.833.7668).

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Scott Lawson
    General Director
    Customer and Relationship Services
    My cats are doing fine so far, but I'm gonna stick this in the glove compartment like he suggests, in case they start to go bad next spring/summer.
    2002 Firebird Formula
    Pewter Metallic | Ebony cloth
    K&N filter | Magnaflow | Eurolights Xenon kit | Clear LED Side Markers

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Get them replaced free first, then save them. Next, with your tax $$$ this Spring, get LT and ORY and get rear O2 sims or a tune and have the tuner delete the rear O2 codes. In case you ever have to put the stock stuff back on. That is what I did.
    ya, sounds like a good idea to me..ill probly go that route. thanks

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by feet739 View Post
    Thanks abunch jag that"s good to know!!!!!!!!!!
    Got mine on the 9th

red and black
    02TransAm WS6 & 2011 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    If your not seeing the Service Engine light, another way to know if they are bad would be if you notice that your engine has lost some or a lot of power, or your gas mileage has dropped recently. These problems could show up because of partially plugged convertors. Now, just because you might have noticed these problems does not gaurantee the fix is the convertor(s), the gas mileage problem could be as simple a fix as a lighter right foot! Also, low power could be a restricted fuel filter or weak fuel pump.
    My car runs fine...

black

letter

Quote Originally Posted by bevenue View Post
    Is everyone that gets the letter the origanal owner or is every f-body owner getting them?
    I know I'm late, but I am NOT an original owner & received the letter... not sure how they knew... maybe when you get your tags & registration...

Quote Originally Posted by KellyeD2006 View Post
    I know I'm late, but I am NOT an original owner & received the letter... not sure how they knew... maybe when you get your tags & registration...
    Dunno. Bought my car new in NC, moved back to FL after a couple years. Got the letter at my new address, thinking it might be because I visited the local dealer here ONCE a couple years ago, or because it was originally financed through GMAC and changed my address through them? Paid off in early '05.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    It's an emmissions component and the emmissions system is supposed to warrantied for the lifetime of the vehicle.
    At least that what I was told.
    To whoever told you that..................there is nothing on the car that has a lifetime warranty.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I'm not the original owner of my WS6 and I received the letter. What are some of the symptoms of the cat(s) having problems?
    Dave1970
    SE Texas (High Island)
    2002 WS6 TA
    Strano Performance Sway Bars and Springs
    UMI Performance LCAs, PHB, Adj. TQ., drive shaft safety loop, & TA relocation bracket
    Koni SA shocks
    Textralia Clutch, T56Rebuilt Trans, Pro 5.0 shifter w/ Lou Short Stick, & McLeod adj. master cylinder

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

SES code, poor performance (power loss), higher engine temp, bad exhaust odor...

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

so this is only for 2002 models?
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

Question ?

Does the ses light have to come on or can they bang on it and here it is clogged up to be replaced?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i wonder if they would do this on a 1999 camaro. seems weird that it just stated the firebird model.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

My letter was specifically for 01/02 Firebirds. I'm not sure what all years/models are affected. I'd recommend contacting a local GM dealer for specifics to anyone interested in free cats.

I believe 10yr/120K extension is only the '00-'02 cars.

red
    2001 formula

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    so this is only for 2002 models?
    This I know also included the 2001with the LS1 engines. The Pontiac dealer pulled up my VIN number and told me that the previous owner had it done for free. If you are not the original owners of the vehicle and did not get a notice the Pontiac service department will let you everything service wise that was done on your vehicles by a GM dealer.

Bright Silver Metallic
    02 T/A WS6

I had my last WS6 converter replaced for free when I told em it went out. my car had 30,000 miles on it at the time. they replaced it with no questions asked and it didn't cost me a penny.
    http://www.fquick.com/pipelayaz
    02' Trans Am WS6 M6 TTops Bright Silver Metallic
    02' Trans Am WS6 M6 TTops Navy Blue Metallic - SOLD

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

im not the original owner im the second owner of my 2001 T/A. am i going to to be getting one? because i got my car at 20,000 miles and im guessing that i might be due uo for my cats to be replaced. so if they do go bad i just contact the GM dealership?

Bright Silver Metallic
    02 T/A WS6

I was the third owner and I never received a letter i just told em about it and they still replaced the converter. Hope this helps...

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA View Post
    im not the original owner im the second owner of my 2001 T/A. am i going to to be getting one? because i got my car at 20,000 miles and im guessing that i might be due uo for my cats to be replaced. so if they do go bad i just contact the GM dealership?
    You're covered whether you get a letter or not. I posted the number in post #1 of this thread, but any GM service shop will take care of you if you have a problem.

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    You're covered whether you get a letter or not. I posted the number in post #1 of this thread, but any GM service shop will take care of you if you have a problem.
    oh alright cool man thanks. ima have the GM dealership look at my cats for me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information