Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by colesherman86 View Post
    yeah but they were made for a reason, first nascar to hit 200mph
    Wow,,,I never heard them referred to as grandpa ricers,,,,not sure how that one came about,,,but Colersherman is right. Guess you have to know your history. I am currently helping a good friend of mine do a rotisorie restore on a 69 Daytona off and on. Went through the Dana 60 for him a while back. These are very unique cars in many ways and made for one purpose,,,to go very fast,,,it was a design that was very ahead of it's time,,,,and obviously it worked. Alot of history with these cars that is very cool,,,and they bring a ton of money when restored,,,easily in the 6 digit figure would be considered cheap right now.

To call them a grandpa ricer,,,well,,,that had to of come from someone that is very young I guess.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by xirxious View Post
    THey're like grampa ricers
    Uh....... NO.

If your car has a 3-foot wing on the back that was NOT put there by design by the factory, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If your car's "sponsor decals" have Japanese lettering in them, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If you car has a "Type-R" or similar badge on it that was not installed at the factory, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If you've achieved the "ideal" 50/50 weight distribution by loading up your trunk w/ amps and subwoofers, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If you have to put slicks on the FRONT of your car to improve traction, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If you've invested more money in "appearance mods" than under the hood, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If your car has more video screens than cylinders, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If your car has any NEON lighting in/on/under it, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If the diameter of the exhaust tip on your car is larger than the cylinders in your engine, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 12-01-2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Missed one..... :D

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Heres my buddies roomates Cobra II that i was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    Uh....... NO.

If your car has a 3-foot wing on the back that was NOT put there by design by the factory, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If your car's "sponsor decals" have Japanese lettering in them, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If you car has a "Type-R" or similar badge on it that was not installed at the factory, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If you've achieved the "ideal" 50/50 weight distribution by loading up your trunk w/ amps and subwoofers, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If you have to put slicks on the FRONT of your car to improve traction, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If you've invested more money in "appearance mods" than under the hood, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If your car has more video screens than cylinders, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

If your car has any NEON lighting in/on/under it, you MIGHT be driving a RICER.

LOL I need to write this stuff down. Good use of redneck jokes. Jeff Foxworthy is a riot.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post

Click for full size

Well that one ain't so repulsive. Still got "hard to work with" body lines though.

My cousin has a 76 El Camino, and car just has an ugly shape. It's not like the 60's models which can be made to look smooth.

There is an old saying, you can't paint a turd without getting a painted turd.

Black
    2001 SS

How about the mid 80's Turbo T-bird. Four cylinder pig. Wouldn't pull a stick out of the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeperSS01 View Post
    How about the mid 80's Turbo T-bird. Four cylinder pig. Wouldn't pull a stick out of the mud.
    Are you serious,,,,I have seen those with the boost cranked up and running 13's back in the day. Thats quick by 1980's standards. The SVO mustangs were the same thing in a smaller package. They were only a few mods away from being a fun car,,,much like anything else really.

king cobra was pretty damn ugly indeed

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post

Click for full size
    sorry but I would have to smoke alot of drugs to drive around in that thing.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Are you serious,,,,I have seen those with the boost cranked up and running 13's back in the day. Thats quick by 1980's standards. The SVO mustangs were the same thing in a smaller package. They were only a few mods away from being a fun car,,,much like anything else really.
    Turbo T-urds? Stock they were a joke. I remember sitting at a light w/ a car full of people in my '70 Cutlass 'vert, top down and one of those pulling up next to me reving it's engine like he wanted to race. Light turns green, I wait until I hear his little 4 banger start screaming and I just mashed the gas and left him in the dust. All my Olds had was a 'lil 'ol 350 2bbl! NOT fast by any means!

My step son had the same motor in a Mercur XR4Ti. Yeah, if you put your foot to the floor and wait 5 seconds for the boost to build, yeah they'd start pulling pretty good for a 4 banger. But what a POS to drive. The trans and turbo were always out of step with each other. Before the boost would kick in, the trans had alread up shifted a few gears, just to turn around and downshift when the boost came on. In traffic it was a PITA, you'd mash the gas just to keep up w/ traffic in front of you, then seconds later the boost would shove you into the trunk of the car in front of you. Always had to dance between the left and right pedals. JUNK! Hadn't these euro-snobs heard of THROTTLE RESPONSE?? Guess you need a big 'ol AMERICAN V8 for that, LOL.
    Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 01-04-2008 at 07:26 PM.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

how about a gremlin X 304 v8 pig with a lot of potential. my freind had a 77 monza mirage(remember that one!google it) red white and blue pig 305 4 speed which was blown before the warranty was done. we put a 327/325 hp and a muncie 4 speed and twisted it good
    Last edited by twozs; 01-04-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    Turbo T-urds? Stock they were a joke. I remember sitting at a light w/ a car full of people in my '70 Cutlass 'vert, top down and one of those pulling up next to me reving it's engine like he wanted to race. Light turns green, I wait until I hear his little 4 banger start screaming and I just mashed the gas and left him in the dust. All my Olds had was a 'lil 'ol 350 2bbl! NOT fast by any means!

My step son had the same motor in a Mercur XR4Ti. Yeah, if you put your foot to the floor and wait 5 seconds for the boost to build, yeah they'd start pulling pretty good for a 4 banger. But what a POS to drive. The trans and turbo were always out of step with each other. Before the boost would kick in, the trans had alread up shifted a few gears, just to turn around and downshift when the boost came on. In traffic it was a PITA, you'd mash the gas just to keep up w/ traffic in front of you, then seconds later the boost would shove you into the trunk of the car in front of you. Always had to dance between the left and right pedals. JUNK! Hadn't these euro-snobs heard of THROTTLE RESPONSE?? Guess you need a big 'ol AMERICAN V8 for that, LOL.
    Like anything else during the 80's like I said in stock form,,,everything was relatively slow compared to what we had just 10 years earlier,,,but the turbo cars had very easy potential. You just didn't come up against one that was tinkered with. I have one on video running 12.80's at 105 mph from back in the day,,,,with just a few tweaks. By 80's standards,,,back then even a 14 second car could clean house on the streets. If you ran 13's your car would be pretty well known around town. Only a handfull of 12 or even 11 second cars existed back then that were street driven.

Quote Originally Posted by twozs View Post
    how about a gremlin X 304 v8 pig with a lot of potential. my freind had a 77 monza mirage(remember that one!google it) red white and blue pig 305 4 speed which was blown before the warranty was done. we put a 327/325 hp and a muncie 4 speed and twisted it good
    Friend of mine had a gremlin X. It's hard to beat a small package with a V-8,,,back then they were fun to drive.
    I have had several H-body (monzas/vegas) over the years.
    I never could do the Mirage, I didn't like the body kits at all,,,but I did have a few spyders. In stock form they weren't much, but a 350 swap was as easy as pie. Baldwin Motion actually did some conversions on the vegas back then. Even Yenko got into the act as well. Some rare peices today that bring high dollar.
    My current daily driver is a 79 monza with a 406/muncie 4-speed and only weighs 3,020 lbs. Plain brown wrapper,,,a great sleeper.

vega aluminum block

Black
    98 Trans Am

how about an 83 Camaro that had an option with a 4 cyl and a 6 v8 with 120 hp.. I DONT THINK SO

Black
    2000 T/A

the lamest muscle car ever would have to be my 02 z28

at least that's what they told me here -----> www.importlovinghomos.net

Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Wow,,,
    To call them a grandpa ricer,,,well,,,that had to of come from someone that is very young I guess.
    No it was just a joke I was born about that time and have been an avid Nascar fan. Recently someone began reproducing the steel noses (opposed to glass) to build the clone army of them. I actually like some of the winged performance cars like the Daytonas, F40 and even the 93ish Z28s. I find the newer generation of 'winged wannabe' FWD imports disturbing.

blue
    1998 trans am

90 percent mentioned so far are not muscle cars, is this a ricer forum?

Quote Originally Posted by 19691998firebirdtransam View Post
    90 percent mentioned so far are not muscle cars, is this a ricer forum?
    Well unfortunately the phrase "Muscle Car" has gotten used over the years for about everything, so the meaning has gotten very fuzzy for most people at best.

Throughout the late 70's and all throughout the 80's performance was rather lame,,,not even comparable to the muscle car bruisers of the 60's and early 70's,,,,but it's what we had during that dark age.

These LT1 and LS1 F bodies of the 90's were the best thing to come along for GM since the glory years of the 60's and 70's.

There was some nice stuff in between, Buick GN's were and still are quick, GMC Syclone's and Typhoon's are nothing to sneeze at performance wise just to name a few,,,,,but for me a real muscle car is from the 60's and early 70's.

It's hard for me to replace thumping big block chevys with good old fashion carburators. Easy maintainance, cheap parts and easy to repair and diagnose, large cubic inches, lots of rear gear, muncie 4 speeds,,,,,the feeling they give when driving down the road is hard to put into words, you gain a certain respect for them for various reasons,,,,something the new cars just simply cannot accomplish,,,,it should be every kids requirement when growing up to drive one.

Quote Originally Posted by xirxious View Post
    No it was just a joke I was born about that time and have been an avid Nascar fan. Recently someone began reproducing the steel noses (opposed to glass) to build the clone army of them. I actually like some of the winged performance cars like the Daytonas, F40 and even the 93ish Z28s. I find the newer generation of 'winged wannabe' FWD imports disturbing.
    Ya I agree, wings on the foreign stuff is just strange to me. I love the chrysler Daytona's and Superbird's,,,they actually had a purpose.
    We have been avid Nascar fans, My son is showing big interest in it now and we have some friends that work for Roush and Joe Gibbs ,,so we stay in touch.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information