Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

awesome thanks for the tech brief. I had no idea about the inner workings. Appreciate it
    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I wonder if the keyway has sheared on one of the shafts where the plastic gears are. These motors are designed to stop when they encounter resistance at either full open or full close...the only way they could keep running is if they are NOT encountering "stop". Another possibility would be that the motor has backed off the housing enough to not be fully engaged into the worm gear. There are tabs that the motor is held onto the housing with that can become loose and cause the very issues you are experiencing. Look at the pics I posted with the housing cover off and you will see a rusted part...that is the tab which is one of I think two tabs that hold the motor onto the housing...if those are not bent closely up against the housing, the internal worm gear will not fully engage with the plastic or brass gear for that matter.... Just something further that needs to be checked while you have it disassembled and are replacing parts...

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

found the problem, a short in the fuse block so guess I'm screwed. took out the headlight fuse and getting a power and ground from the same terminal. so I guess I will be looking for a new fuse block and complete harness into the dash and a headlight harnesses

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

found one online, any difference between the 98 and an 02 ????

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

it didnt sound to me that it was gear related as you mentioned they stay pulsating all time until you pull the fuse out. can you trace the wire by the color? take your time and expose the wire as much as you can undrr the dash and on the engine bay. you might be able to see the shorted wire. you can also run a new power cable, cut the old one and splice the new closest to the fuse block and as far away to were belongs after the firewall.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

oh is the short on the actual fuse box itself? if it is you can cut the wire on the back of the fuse box that belongs to headlights power and the run a new wire with a fuse and splice it.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

I think the short is actually in the metal tabs in the block, followed wires back didn't' see any cuts, and took the tester and checked and all the wires to see if they had power going into the box they did. wish I could just splice in a fuse box but too many wires so may have to replace the entire harness

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I dont think there is no way a ground could short in the internal tabs of the fuse box since there is no grounds in the box. all the the terminals are for power.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

have you tried checking the faulty terminal with all the healight motors unpluged? and the module unpluged? if you dont get the ground power issue with the motors disconnected then the wiring.is good. you might have a problem with the motor.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

yes with the headlights unwired
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    have you tried checking the faulty terminal with all the healight motors unpluged? and the module unpluged? if you dont get the ground power issue with the motors disconnected then the wiring.is good. you might have a problem with the motor.
    - - - Updated - - -

new module

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

ok so is the wiring. you can get the harness if you want but I will say try to run a new wire with a fuse.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

put in two new motors today

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

oh is the short on the actual fuse box itself? if it is you can cut the wire on the back of the fuse box that belongs to headlights power and the run a new wire with a fuse and splice it.
    are you saying I could just cut the incoming and out going wires and put like an inline fuse and bypass the block?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

if the issue is in the fuse box itself yes. but you are saying you are getting ground and power to the same terminal. the fuse box itself doesn't have any ground in it. im thinking you have a short in the wiring itself. if you can trace the wires and see were they belong you can just run new wires to the actual fuse box or just put a new inline fuse on the new wires.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

can't cut the wire to the box because it supplies all the power to the other stuff in the box, but I might be able to tap into it for powering the headlights

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yes what I mean which ever the cable is giving you the issue run a wire for it.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

ok i'll try to get someone much smarter than me to take a look at it, electronic shit is definitely not my strength

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

lol you are smart if you can figure out the ground power issue. you know when you pull a fuse one terminal of the fuse is.power and the other one is the wire to goes to the piece of equipment. cut the wire on the back of the fuse box that goes to the piece of equipment and cut were it ends at the piece of equipment. then run a new wire from the piece of equipment all the way back to the fuse box and splice it. i think it goes to the headlight switch. have you tried checking for a.short with the headlight switch unplugged? and check for a short from the headlight switch to the module?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I can post the headlights motor schematics. I have them if it helps you out.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-27-2013 at 04:30 PM.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

yes I think the schematics would help. could you send them to my email?? jonyuppyman@yahoo.com It would be greatly appreciated

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

have not tried checking for the short with the headlight switch unplugged. I will have to try some more stuff next weekend, at the g.f house now. she's getting mad cause I'm ignoring her for my car yet again!! lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information