Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    that's how ED defaulted the setup. personally i like it. its not cluttered and page load time isnt slowed by seeing everyones SIG everytime they post like over on 'tech'...
    allright, its no big deal to me.. i just like to show off the few mods i have

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    comp 918 springs are always a good idea,
    I would personally steer clear of the 918's unless you know the batch number and speak with Comp first. They switched vendors and had issues with the springs when they did, some didn't even last 50 miles before breaking. There are other, better options out now in the beehive spring design.
    QTP headers, Katech timing chain, GMPP damper, VHP 056 cam, Crane 1.7 rockers, Dart 205 heads, ATI balancer, Callaway Honker CAI, Shaner TB.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
    I would personally steer clear of the 918's unless you know the batch number and speak with Comp first. They switched vendors and had issues with the springs when they did, some didn't even last 50 miles before breaking. There are other, better options out now in the beehive spring design.
    oh shit! seriously?? thanks for the info, im gonna look into this....

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

Here is how I understand things. PAC Spring used to make the 918 for Comp. They switched to a new vendor last fall and there were several bad batches that hit the street. The internet is littered with guys who had them bust, some lucky enough to have them break when the car was idling other lost a motor. PAC Spring also sells two beehives, one that is nitrided (1518) and one that is not (1218). The nitrided would be a better long term spring, but is a little more money. Crane is also now carrying a beehive spring, which by the way is made by PAC spring, and is the same as the 1218.

PSI also makes a killer beehive spring, the 1511. This is the spring that Katech selected after a lot of spintron testing for the LS7 setups.

Do some research, Comp is taking care of the problem but there are a lot of guys out there who had them break. I have lost confidence in them myself and wouldn't use them at this point.

Red
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    only a new guy would say above. i suggest you do your homework with cams.
    I have and it's what i want. I'm not looking for an all out race car. I want something EASY on the springs, something that will need a mild tune, and bolt on as possible. Is something wrong with that?

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I have and it's what i want. I'm not looking for an all out race car. I want something EASY on the springs, something that will need a mild tune, and bolt on as possible. Is something wrong with that?
    z06 cam.

Red
    98 Z28

z06 cam.
    Ok cam, but the hotcam is a little more agressive.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

the 224 is mild. i understand you wanting it tame, cas i was just like you 3 years ago when camming.
    to be blunt, i should of went bigger cam wise. the 224 is a super tame cam that is considered a mild cam by everyone.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I'm getting this cam with 581 lift and 112 lsa, and the guys I'm buying it from also suggested stage 2 ported cnc 59cc heads. Does this sound like a good combo? The guy was saying it would put me over 400 to the wheels plus the dyno tune I'm getting.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    I'm getting this cam with 581 lift and 112 lsa, and the guys I'm buying it from also suggested stage 2 ported cnc 59cc heads. Does this sound like a good combo? The guy was saying it would put me over 400 to the wheels plus the dyno tune I'm getting.
    youll be over 400.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    as long as you have a Lid, LT's and a catback system. you already have the Ls6 intake, so you should hit around the 400rwhp mark w/a good tune w/that H/C combo...

its the same combo that i currently have and im putting down 409/388. just remember, every car is different. you might make a little more, or a few ponies less. but dont be discouraged...

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

well i have the k&n fipk, hooker lt's and y pipe. i'm just looking for a few more hp to push me into the 11's. thanks for the input

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Your car will definately be capable of 11's it just a matter of hooking up and getting a good launch.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I'm looking for under 2.0 on 60'. I'm researching another clutch to put on it as well.

Red
    98 Z28

shit or get off the pot boy!!

or sell one to me!!!

yeah i wouldnt put a hotcam in an ls1, just because there are so many better choices out there than that. and its alittle funny to say gm knows more about their cars thatn aftermarket tuners. id like to see gm build a 6 second strip car that will run with wheel to wheel's monster.

anyway, the 224 is the cam i want and its a beauty. small enough to remain very very civil and when combined with the right heads has the potential to put you in the 11s. nhra formula im very impressed with that 12 flat and im interested to know what else you have done....

the centers its ground on is all up to personal preference. i would either go 112 or 114 and they both have great idles. from what ive seen one of the best all around cams for dd is the 224 with a nice set of heads. 11s with 224 duration.....whos laughing now ms4 worshipers??

Wow...you're saying GM doesn't know their cars???? Wow effing wow

nice

Pewter
    2000 z28

Wow...you're saying GM doesn't know their cars???? Wow effing wow
    nope. im saying its ignorant to think that a gm product is any better than a shop who specializes in gm products. i wonder why no one hardly runs the hot cam in the ls1 since gm manufactures it. maybe, just maybe, there are (oh my god) better options!!!

youre right.

white
    2000 hwaypatrol commodore

higher lift +more duration + tighter lobe centres gets you the more peaky performance
    lesser duration +wider lobe centres with bring it back to linear+smooth.
    there are cams and there are cams for an a4 with standard converter ls1 204 @50
    should be the bare minimum atleast.
    the old man cam might be the ticket.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I have been eyeing this cam lately. Still need to do alot more research on them. Think it would be to big for a DD that sees lots of miles ?

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=167&catid=44

That cam isn't that big really. 228 at .050 is mild in my opinion, and you can even spread out the lobe seperation to 114 or more and smooth it out quite a bit, with a good tune, someone that knows what they are doing can make that cam disappear and sound stockish. It also depends on how you degree the cam as well, and whether there is any advance ground in already. Advancing the cam will help to smooth the idle as well.

Looks like a great daily cam to me. My daily ride runs a 240 at .050, and it only has a slight lope with a sharp tune on it, and installed 4 degrees advanced.

It all depends on what you call streetable, some people have a low tollerance for anything other than baby butt smooth.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information