Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank Size

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Did you not read the bottom part that i did it for 80,000 on my 96 and never had one problem with it, so i did it once on my ls1 if it breaks oops im a dumbass ill replace it but i think im gonna be ok.
    It is also bad on the filter and the injectors! You don't notice what it does to the pump, filter and injectors because it is all so gradual. I agree 100% with SHADY! The pump is cooled by the gasoline.

The manufacturer designes the guages so that when they are a quarter empty there is enough fuel to make it to the gas station. Sure you could drive an extra 100 miles, but that isn't why they designed it like that.
    Have you ever looked inside a newer cars gas tank? They have basically two hulls. The main hull stores the gas and the other provides fuel for the pump. When you run it low, the pump hull is drained and is forced to feed from the tank, where all of the shit is laying on the bottom!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Listen do you even own a Ls1 please shut your mouth everyone was asking so i had the balls and the time to fill my car up and let it run dry dont try and tell me when to fill my car or what to do with it ok its not yours its mine if i wanna drain the oil and drive until its messed up then push it off a cliff i will i did a little experiment and i got you telling me not to test the limits of my car get out of my face. BTW im a mortgage collector for michigan i have never talked to so many stupid ppl in my life.
    yup sure have buddy...i really good experiment is called look it up on the internet..gm tells yea..but go ahead and be a dumb ass..because it doesnt matter if i own a freaking huffy pedal bike..i'll still pass your ass on the side of the road..scratching your head wondering why your car quit n00b i love how you try to ask a irelievent question like do i even own a ls1...1. doesnt matter becuase gas tanks and gas and fuel pumps are pretty much universal and its not like the f-bodies has a one off special system. so in closing i think its better that you sit back and shut your mouth and listen to what people with more knowledge tell you instead of running off at the mouth(only thing that will be running with you burning out your pump) becuase i'm pretty sure i know quite a bit more about the f-bodies and ls1 engine then you ..but i'm done..flame wars are ghey..if you still want to take it up..you can pm me buddy. and i'll continue this.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    It is also bad on the filter and the injectors! You don't notice what it does to the pump, filter and injectors because it is all so gradual. I agree 100% with SHADY! The pump is cooled by the gasoline.

The manufacturer designes the guages so that when they are a quarter empty there is enough fuel to make it to the gas station. Sure you could drive an extra 100 miles, but that isn't why they designed it like that.
    Have you ever looked inside a newer cars gas tank? They have basically two hulls. The main hull stores the gas and the other provides fuel for the pump. When you run it low, the pump hull is drained and is forced to feed from the tank, where all of the shit is laying on the bottom!

98' trans am

4th gen f-bodies 1993-1998 had steel tank 15.5 tanks
    1999+ f-bodies switch to 16.8 gallon plastic fuel tank because of emissions requirements.

this answers this thread..time too thread

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Thats not what i was testing everyone on this thread has had different results so i wanted to see how far mine went i never go low on my new T/A i did it once and if you guys still wanna bitch then keep bitching.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I hav run my tank down until the check gagues light cam on to test this and I filled it up. The pump stoped at 15 gallons and my needle was pegged at E so I have a 1999 and I am only getting 200 to a tank and so are my other friends with there TA's. I am going to replace my fuel filter this weekend but I cant see that increasing my milage by 100 miles.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ziden View Post
    I hav run my tank down until the check gagues light cam on to test this and I filled it up. The pump stoped at 15 gallons and my needle was pegged at E so I have a 1999 and I am only getting 200 to a tank and so are my other friends with there TA's. I am going to replace my fuel filter this weekend but I cant see that increasing my milage by 100 miles.
    No way will it increase by 100. It has a lot to do with throttle response, especially at high R's.
    Before you change the filter, blow into the new one and see how easy it is. Then after the old one dries out, blow into that one.

Pewter
    99 Formula

I have a 2000 T/A m6 16.8 gallon tank i just tested this filled up until gas sprayed onto my leg cause the gas station attendant forgot to tell that the pump i was using didnt turn off automatically then he offered me a car wash but im a lowered T/A no auto wash for me. I went until my car ran outta gas me and my girlfriend drove around with a 2 gallon gas can in my trunk until i ran dry i got 343 miles on 1 tank i also have headers and cat back exhaust and whisper lid. Most highway and country driving about 90 miles city.

BTW i had a 96 T/A before i got it with 42k and i sold it with 127k and i let it go to E every week the original fuel pump still pumping strong i do refill my 2000 at 1/4 cause im trying to be good to it lol. This time being the exception of course hah.

dude i might be the only one but i am going to thank you for doing that test! i admire what you did for the forum and it shows dedication! and just so everyone knows we all know that it is bad to run it low but he just did it for an experiment for the forum for everyone else to see!! anyways thanks!

but you didn't have to bash on michigan, ok dude

98' trans am

no not everyone knows that...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Lol yeah sorry about the MI bash i do talk to some ppl form there who are very nice and intelligent from MI. Its just i kinda have to be a little mean since the economy there is going down hill and i am a mortgage collector lol.
    Just shady milk man doesnt seem to be a part of that group. Because he doesnt seem to know whats its like to have a nut sack and like to see what your car can do maybe when he actually gets a LS1 it will force his balls to drop.
    Last edited by 2000T/A Guru; 03-29-2007 at 08:00 AM.

Red
    2000 Z28

I think that running the car with a 1/4 tank or less all the time will probably hurt the fuel pump, but I don't really think that running it from full to damn near empty and then repeating the process over and over will hurt it. I've had many vehicles in my day, and have never had one fuel pump burn out because I didn't keep a 1/4 of a tank all of the time.

98' trans am

Lol yeah sorry about the MI bash i do talk to some ppl form there who are very nice and intelligent from MI. Its just i kinda have to be a little mean since the economy there is going down hill and i am a mortgage collector lol.
    Just shady milk man doesnt seem to be a part of that group. Because he doesnt seem to know whats its like to have a nut sack and like to see what your car can do maybe when he actually gets a LS1 it will force his balls to drop.
    oh man. had a trans am..note i answered your comment in the last post. first car i had. and I'm going to be getting a t/a here soon..but no please make another intelligent post and show us all how smart and intelligent you are...hey while your at it dumb ass...rev your car as high as you can in neutral every time you start your car too!!..test its limits you know..oh and go do some dry donuts too..test the limits of the stock 10 bolt..since we dont already know...punk ass don't talk to me about nuts.. there is difference between having nuts and being stupid..you sir are stupid your little "Nuts" experiment didn't prove shit or provide us with anything we don't know... not to mention there are 100s of factors that influence gas mileage..so how many miles you get doesn't mean anything... my balls will drop eh..hmm I'm the same age as you..but w/e i eagerly await your stupid ass post..but please send it too my pm (personal message) box so we don't clutter up this thread eh? i'll be happy to pwn you through pm's but you know in closing..i don't have a problem with you..or what you do with your car..i just posted something trying to help you out..and you responded in a very immature way, as if your balls haven't dropped yet(ghey saying by the way) so i'd suggest you treat elder posters such as myself with respect and you might just learn something

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
    I think that running the car with a 1/4 tank or less all the time will probably hurt the fuel pump, but I don't really think that running it from full to damn near empty and then repeating the process over and over will hurt it. I've had many vehicles in my day, and have never had one fuel pump burn out because I didn't keep a 1/4 of a tank all of the time.
    it will..ever running it below 1/4 is bad..at times you have no choice but FP's arent designed to be ran very low often(thats why fuel gauges show you have less fuel then you really do after you pass 1/4 of a tank.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

No shit it did it once to test cause everyone on this forum had different results on how far they make it on a tank and stop acting so tough over a forum telling me to shut my mouth and shit, calm down tough guy or your gonna have a heart attack before you ever get a T/A again. Trying to tell me to treat elder posters with respect liek this forum is your life and your a all mighty elder on it jes go rub one out and take some stress off your mind, elder poster lol wow cool guy.

98' trans am

Listen do you even own a Ls1 please shut your mouth

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Didnt you say you were gonna stop this flame war lol looks like your still goin to me. Some ppl just cant hold true to what they say lol.

Shouldnt the elder be able to rise above the comment of the young grasshopper or doesnt it work that way in the forum world you live in i dont quite understand all the rules yet lol, to the forum world you live in oh great elder. Your the same age as me so i dotn need to respect you and i have probably gone through more shit in my life than you so as far as life and lessons we learn as we go through it im sure i am far more mature than you so maybe you need to respect me BOY.

98' trans am

stop acting so tough over a forum telling me to shut my mouth and shit, calm down tough guy

Listen do you even own a Ls1 please shut your mouth

ok enough is enough..i'm done. dont reply to this post..unless you do it through pm

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I was adding that as you posted your post.

98' trans am

98+ f-bodies epa miles per gallon 18 city. 26 highway (of course we all know thats not getting on the throttle and fresh off the show room)
    so on a 98 f-body your best possible mileage will be 279miles just city driving. and 403 miles just highway. most f-bodies average 21 miles a gallon a tank so. 325.5 miles a gallon is around what you should be getting for mixed driving. 99+ get 302 miles just city. 436.8miles just highway. and 352miles mixed..now these are best case scenarios so if your around this kind of milage then you are just fine.

there you guys have it hopefully this answers any questions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information