Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Finally View Post
    I'm a mechanical engineering student at UConn.....you have no idea how much homework I've had to do here...haha. I live in Cromwell
    I'm a material science engineering student at UConn, i'm from manchester

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

thanks for the laughs fellas,
    +1 on a clean car always feels better, why do you think they wash your car after you get it serviced at the dealer lol,

as for changing the oil on a dyno, i never did that but i played with stuff all the time on my 74, like removing the air filter, actually lost power on that one, or taking the fans to cool the engine off and holding them on top of the carb lol

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    or taking the fans to cool the engine off and holding them on top of the carb lol

That's true ram air right there...lol

White Liquid Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Finally View Post
    I'm a mechanical engineering student at UConn.....you have no idea how much homework I've had to do here...haha. I live in Cromwell
    Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    I'm a material science engineering student at UConn, i'm from manchester
    My nephew is in his freshmen year at UCONN, you guys probably won't know him since he's a fag and drives a BMW...LOL j/k...about the fag part...

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

yeah the ram air thing actually picked up a few hp, lol we did all kinds of shit, like taking rubber fuel line and putting thru the bottome of a waater bottle cut open, making it spiral a whole bunch of times and dumping ice in their, lol that didnt work,
    the best dyno trick is removing belts lol.

White Liquid Silver

I used to flip the air cleaner lid on my 88 2.8l S10 4x4...the sound alone was worth it...but they were pigs no matter what

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    There is some truth to this. These cars have 2 timing tables, a high and a low. If there is sufficient detonation detected it will use the low octane table with less timing. From what I have been told, if this accurs often on a tank of gas it continues to use the low timing table until the tank is filled, and the fuel level goes passed the half way mark. It then will use the high table again unless knock is again detected. A safety mechanism if you will.

Not sure if there is truth to this,,,but the high octane, low octane timing tables do exist. I have been tuning my own car with HPtuners for a while now, but don't see any table that would determine when/how it would switch back and forth and/or stay there until the fuel level in the tank changes. But I have read some write ups about it.

But to be honest, these cars are supposed to have high octane unleaded, 91 or better I believe the manual says, and I find mine sensative and pulling timing with even 94 in the tank,,,,so you guys running 89 may be experiencing this. Not to mention depending on where you fill up,,,,it seems pump gas quality is slowly diminishing, with more additives and such, simply going to a different brand of gas can have a huge affect on a car as well. Just some things to think about

Now that makes sense.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe00SS View Post
    I used to flip the air cleaner lid on my 88 2.8l S10 4x4...the sound alone was worth it...but they were pigs no matter what
    hahahahahaha! I hear ya! I used to do that on my 2.8 86 gmc s-15 I also use that hot tire shine by Meguires-good stuff. Its good for 2-3 rwhp too!

Thread Information