Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a challenger

rapter34
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    when i asked him what he had in his car... he said only a imported intake manifold and gt-40 heads. and he said thats all he has to his 5.0 mustang. he didnt say where his manifold was imported from.
    I think he must have ment PORTED intake instead of imported.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

raced yet?

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

yes we did...... and i beat him. by like 2 lengths. i got traction before he did and i was gone after that. went to like 90. thanks for all the people that helped me out with this. ls1 cant be messed with. thats the bottom line.

Black
    1998 Z28

good kill man

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Any details about the imported intake?

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Any details about the imported intake?
    lol

Black 99 Z71
    Red 01 Z28 M6

Nice win! My friend had a 89 vert gt, victor jr (iron) heads, comp cam, holly upper and lower intake manifold, 373's and all the other usual bolt ons and drag radials. He went 13.2 at 105 in the quarter the first weekend he had it. Like said before, It kinda depends on what h/c/i setup they have.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Thank god you kicked his ass. Ford=Fucked. On. Race. Day

I used to be obsessed with the 5.0 in Highschool then I saw small block Chevy is where its at!

silver
    2002 ws6

Where did he have the intake imported from??

If it is overnight from Japan....WATCH OUT!!!!!
    LOL!!!

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

I had a friend with a n2o 5.0. Granted he was running it off the bottle but with h/c/i and 4.11's in the back that thing would pull high 14's. My old v6 was almost a match for it and this was BEFORE I STARTED SPRAYING.

My point is this - if you have one of those rust buckets, you better also have a good fuckin' idea how to mod it out because those things have a much larger aftermarket to suck your money into and they don't respond near like the ls1 to cheap/free mods. If you wanna go fast, get your h/c/i package but wtf? I saw the only that-modded 5.0 I've ever driven run high 14's and it felt fast when I took it out for a spin...

Quote Originally Posted by cant.b.caught.z28 View Post
    I have taken a 5.0 mustang that was turbocharged.. Not really sure of his other mods, I could just hear the blow off when he shifted. That was on the street, and it was a pretty close race.

At the time I only had granatelli air lid, slp maf, and lt's
    Dude you got the video of this?That car shouldve been anywhere from 400 to 500rwhp.Was he running street tires or some stickies?Did he sit there and spin or what?Thats one stout car you got there.

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

nah man i didnt get a video because i didnt want a passenger in my car to make me heavier. and it was definitely not 400-500 whp. he was runnnin street tires.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    nah man i didnt get a video because i didnt want a passenger in my car to make me heavier. and it was definitely not 400-500 whp. he was runnnin street tires.
    Thats cool man just wondering.Ive seen stock turbocharged 5.0s well over 400rwhp on low boost(9-12pds).Thats why I was asking.

Black
    Camaro A4

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    I had a friend with a n2o 5.0. Granted he was running it off the bottle but with h/c/i and 4.11's in the back that thing would pull high 14's. My old v6 was almost a match for it and this was BEFORE I STARTED SPRAYING.

My point is this - if you have one of those rust buckets, you better also have a good fuckin' idea how to mod it out because those things have a much larger aftermarket to suck your money into and they don't respond near like the ls1 to cheap/free mods. If you wanna go fast, get your h/c/i package but wtf? I saw the only that-modded 5.0 I've ever driven run high 14's and it felt fast when I took it out for a spin...
    that's all driver error. a stock 5.0 runs 14's with a decent driver. a h/c/i stang will run in the low 13's easily. possibly 12's depending on the set-up and driver.

As stated before, the GT-40 stuff is only marginally better than stock E7 heads etc. Don't be so cocky when it's ported afr's, a good cam (e303 or better), and a good flowing intake. even the GT40 intake ported with better heads and cam will run 12's all day.
    Last edited by Shoyoas; 06-28-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Too bad that 5.0 guy didn't know what he was doing/talking about. You sound like you stand to get taken down a peg or two. There are plenty of guys running those GT40 heads into the 11s with 302 cubic inches. If you never have seen it or doubt my claim go look up the class NMRA Factory stock and see what I'm talking about.

I love these old 5.0s. I won't bother arguing potential too an LSx owner. I know where they stand, but it's still nothing to blow off if a 5.0 owner decides he wants to run you for money. That's not a bet I would take in my Corvette unless I knew exactly what was done to his car and it just didn't measure up.

As for me: I started off with a '89 LX hatch back that ran 14.2@98mph with glass-pack mufflers, and BFG Radial T/A 235/60/15 tires. Later, I put GT40X heads and a Cobra intake with 3.55 gears, and a comp cam on my next 5.0, which was a '92. Unfortunately, that car ran like crap, and I don't think I ever got the tune right..... It was my first modification adventure and I didn't know what I was doing. Still it ran a not-so-impressive 13.5 the only time it ever went to a drag strip (and the first time I ever went to a dragstrip). I wouldn't hesitate to run that car against your LS1. I'm sure that I could squeeze out a very low 13 or high 12 out of the same setup today.

My next adventure was AFR165 heads, a custom cam, with a ported Cobra intake, on the same mustang and it ran 11.96@112.9 w/ a 1.56 60' time. That car was hell on wheels against LS1s who just couldn't believe it. Even other 5.0 guys couldn't believe it when I outran their supercharged or stroker setups.

Now to the guy who outran a turbocharged 5.0.......um.......no you really didn't. What you heard was one of those "tornado" superchargers you buy from Autozone. Or, if it was turbo charged, then I'm sure that noise you heard between gears was the tires finally catching for a split second before they went up in smoke again. I had a super-lame turbocharged setup on the '91 I own now with 9.5 psi, with the stock cam and that old pair of GT40X heads/ GT40 intake. The car made 420 rwhp, ran 12.2@118 mph at 3400 racing weight on street radials spinning at least halfway down the track. It's best trap speed was 121mph. I never ran a car that even gave me a decent run on the highway. From a stop, there were a couple, but not many cars that could give me a run. Granted, it wasn't the fastest car on the road.....nothing ever really is. However, what you ran sir was not a turbocharged mustang 5.0. Anyone who can drop that kind of coin on his 5.0 will also install a set of heads, and an intake and make at least 400 rwhp. Honestly, I wasn't even proud of how that car performed when I told people that it was turbocharged.

My new turbo setup on my 5.0 is hopefully something I will be proud of, though. 700 rwhp on pump gas? no problem.... 1000 rwhp on race gas?... check. Now I have a stang that will live up to expectations when someone hears turbo and V8 in the same sentence. Can't wait to drive it again when I get back from Iraq.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 07-02-2008 at 04:52 AM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Where did he have the intake imported from??

If it is overnight from Japan....WATCH OUT!!!!!

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Dude you got the video of this?That car shouldve been anywhere from 400 to 500rwhp.Was he running street tires or some stickies?Did he sit there and spin or what?Thats one stout car you got there.

If you were asking me, no I didn't.. I was heading to the mall with a friend of mine, and my dad was one light ahead of me in his srt8 charger. The guy tried to run with my dad, but he's not one to race on the streets, so I pulled up next to him and told him I'd be willing to do a quick pull to the next light. I really thought he would smoke me but I hooked really good, and going into second gear my tires did a real nice squeal and after that I had about 1-2 cars on him.

I'm pretty sure he had dumps right after the headers though, because that som' bitch was loud as hell.. I coulda swore a cop was gonna hear us. As for tires, im not sure what shoes he was wearing, but it sounded like he wasn't having too hard of a time catching traction.
    Last edited by cant.b.caught.z28; 06-29-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

"loud as hell" and turbocharged don't go together, brother. You could dump it straight after the turbochargers and it still wouldn't be that loud. Turbos really dampen the exhaust. It was probably just a strong running N/A 5.0. It's possible that it was a stockish blown 5.0 that had the boost way down low. It's extremely unlikely that it was a turbo.

silver
    2002 ws6

a fox body with a 400 sbc is a very stout machine. watch out for those ones.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

I'm not a fucking retard so don't try calling bs on my statement. I have been working on cars long enough to know a few things. Just because you got a few more years on me doesn't mean your right
    I know what a blowoff sounds like from a turbo, and his boost gauges on the pillar sort of gave it away. Now I could be wrong, maybe if he had one of the little fake bov sound pieces, and fake gauges on his pillar; but I highly doubt it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C_lXbW4BFTw&feature=related
    Tell me that wasn't loud..
    Video's don't usually lie, brother.
    Last edited by cant.b.caught.z28; 07-01-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information