Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The new cobalt SS has gone as fast as 13.5 @ 103mph, not to bad. Faster than some ls1 cars i know. But def not as good i na straight line as a ls1 car.
    Obviously driver mod in both instances. I MURDERED a slightly older Cobalt SS stage 2, whatever that means, when I was a bolt on car but that's not a fair comparison. Also had a 16-17 yr old kid talkin shit to my buddy in his cai and catback T/A last year about how bad his 09 coballt ss would take us blah blah..saw him about 2 weeks later and raped him without lube as well.

Back to straight line vs cornering...I have never driven one so I wouldn't know, but how many times have we heard that American cars can't handle, especially pertaining to ls1 f-bodies? The answer is far too many, and this is also an American car. Now we get into the tuner/ricer market with these cars which is were many of these "claims" of "tuner" cars with "superior" handling capability compared to American cars are coming from. I don't even want to begin going into this argument, just stating my observations on the subject.

My 01 T/A with no front way bar, completely stock suspension (yea thats right I dont even have sfc's) and stock springs/shocks with 94k on the clock handles pretty damn well and I push my car pretty hard through corners. Now, its nothing compared to even an f-body with suspension mods but it damn sure doesnt suck.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Obviously driver mod in both instances. I MURDERED a slightly older Cobalt SS stage 2, whatever that means, when I was a bolt on car but that's not a fair comparison. Also had a 16-17 yr old kid talkin shit to my buddy in his cai and catback T/A last year about how bad his 09 coballt ss would take us blah blah..saw him about 2 weeks later and raped him without lube as well.

Back to straight line vs cornering...I have never driven one so I wouldn't know, but how many times have we heard that American cars can't handle, especially pertaining to ls1 f-bodies? The answer is far too many, and this is also an American car. Now we get into the tuner/ricer market with these cars which is were many of these "claims" of "tuner" cars with "superior" handling capability compared to American cars are coming from. I don't even want to begin going into this argument, just stating my observations on the subject.

My 01 T/A with no front way bar, completely stock suspension (yea thats right I dont even have sfc's) and stock springs/shocks with 94k on the clock handles pretty damn well and I push my car pretty hard through corners. Now, its nothing compared to even an f-body with suspension mods but it damn sure doesnt suck.

The older cobalts were low 14 second cars, almost 1/2 second slower. Im not saying the new SS si that fast, a ls1 should win that race. As for handling the new cobalt SS has set a couple records for being on of the fastest FWD cars out there, even keeping up and sometimes beating the evo X and STI on some courses. F-bodys handle decent but there are many better platforms for handling.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Cobalt and Camaro are not even in the same class of cars. No comparison IMHO. Put that LSx in that Cobalt and the Cobalt ss motor in that Camaro see how they fare.. Fast 1/4 mile is nice but not everyone cares about 1/4 mile times.. Camaro is a far superior car in every sense of the word.. Just as a 4cyl BMW is a far superior car than a Camaro. 3 totally differently built cars. In 10 years the Camaro and BMW of today will still have value. Err Cobalt not so much. Cobalt will be just another worthless commuter car from the past.....
    Isn't this the point of a DD...? Also, I wasn't comparing the Cobalt SS and Camaro v6...In case you missed it I was voicing my extreme dissapointment with the 2010 Camaro especially with it being used as a DD. The base model Cobalt (or any other car for that matter) would obviously be the much better choice for one who is looking solely for a commuter car/ DD
    Last edited by 01ws6er; 12-03-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Isn't this the point of a DD...?
    Yep, and we are talking about a DD here since the OP has a 500whp vette.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The older cobalts were low 14 second cars, almost 1/2 second slower. Im not saying the new SS si that fast, a ls1 should win that race. As for handling the new cobalt SS has set a couple records for being on of the fastest FWD cars out there, even keeping up and sometimes beating the evo X and STI on some courses. F-bodys handle decent but there are many better platforms for handling.
    Not being spiteful but do you have links for these cause I'd certainly like to see them? The interior on those cars looks pretty sweet, they have power, and if they handle that well then theyre def agood bang for the buck but ya see what I'm saying...?

Arctic White, red/gray

Not being spiteful but do you have links for these cause I'd certainly like to see them? The interior on those cars looks pretty sweet, they have power, and if they handle that well then theyre def agood bang for the buck but ya see what I'm saying...?
    http://www.autospies.com/news/Car-an...ars-Did-35974/

This is from car and drivers lightning lap

2008 Times
    LL5 MOSLER MT900S 2:45.9
    LL3 DODGE VIPER SRT10 ACR 2:48.6
    LL5 FERRARI 430 SCUDERIA 2:54.6
    LL3 NISSAN GT-R 2:55.6
    LL2 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z51 3:01.2
    LL2 CADILLAC CTS-V 3:04.0
    LL2 BMW M3 3:05.6
    LL2 MERCEDES-BENZ C63 AMG 3:06.5
    LL1 CHEVROLET COBALT SS TURBOCHARGED 3:13.0
    LL2 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION MR 3:13.3
    LL2 BMW 135i 3:13.7
    LL2 LEXUS IS F 3:14.0
    LL2 AUDI S5 3:14.6
    LL2 HONDA S2000 CR 3:15.0
    LL2 DODGE CHALLENGER SRT8 3:16.3
    LL2 LOTUS ELISE SC 3:16.6
    LL2 INFINITI G37 SPORT 3:17.5
    LL2 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI 3:19.0
    LL1 DODGE CALIBER SRT4 3:20.8
    LL2 VOLKSWAGEN R32 3:21.8
    LL2 HONDA CIVIC MUGEN Si 3:24.8
    LL1 VOLVO C30 T5 VERSION 2.0 3:26.6

If you ask me the cobalt ss beat some impressive cars and the cars that beat it are some super pricey autos.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-03-2009 at 12:50 PM.

SOM
    2002 SS

The big problem when comparing the 2 is the cobalt is smaller, and is FWD. I don't think I will ever own anything that has the words 'performance' and 'front wheel drive' linked in its description. Well actually not I like the civic si but that's more of a grocery getter with a little cool motor that can rev.

I have issues with the new camaro but see some potential in modifications. Stock they look like tanks and I still cant warm up to the rear end. even from the side some of the styling gets to me. I hate the steering wheel and the interior is almost horrible but some things are neat like the guages and centre stack etc.

those are mainly the reasons why I am leaning heavily towards the new stang v-6. Rumors from detroit are that on tighter racetracks they are outgunning the new 430 hp coyote powered GTs. Less weight and better weight balance are said to be why.

I do want a daily driver but I want something that i can maintain and work on. Something that will last a long time and look great. Styling that is timeless. something that has presence and has history (camaro and stang). Those are some of the reasons why I did buy my 01 =)

Arctic White, red/gray

Yes the cobalt is small. But the other cars mentions are midsize 15 foot cars. IMO you have the vette for history and presence now get a economical car that you wont get bored with. If the evo and subarus arent fast enough for you, some exhaust work and a tune will get you 40-70 more whp, easily putting those cars into the 12s and raping the v6 stang or camaro. But if you really want that mustang and can get a deal cause you work for ford then do what you want and get it. Life is about making you and your family happy if the v6 stang does that for you then go for it.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

I own both an Ls1 f-body and an 09 Cobalt SS. There is such a massive difference in handling that it's not even funny.

If you've never driven a Cobalt SS, then yea, an fbody with minor suspension mods will grip "well", but in comparison it doesn't even hold a candle to the Cobalt. It puts and end to the "American cars don't handle" image, as seen by thhe track times posted earlier

SOM
    2002 SS

Well I dont want an economical car that I dont care about. If I dont like the way it looks, i just wont care about it. Sadly the sub,mistu and cobalt all fall in that category.

SOM
    2002 SS

I know im being a bastard about it and there are better and worse looking cars of each but..

VS

..Comon... if you had a choice....

SOM
    2002 SS

I know which interior I'd rather interact with every day. I'm not saying the cobalt interior is bad or uglier. i just prefer the stang. I like the retro guages. i also love it when the console is high and fat and the shifter doesn't look like a school bus shifter sticking out of the floor.

VS

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Well I dont want an economical car that I dont care about. If I dont like the way it looks, i just wont care about it. Sadly the sub,mistu and cobalt all fall in that category.
    Then they arent the car for you. Personally a rims, hid lights and soem good lowing springs will make a legacy look worlds better than the new mustang. But thats also cause i dont like the way the mustangs look lol.

SOM
    2002 SS

I guess debating car styling is very very subjective we all know that. I think a legacy looks like a maxima or any other daily driver I see moms driving every day. I need something sexy. My wife says it all the time maybe I should get a custom plate that says NVRGROUP

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Isn't this the point of a DD...? Also, I wasn't comparing the Cobalt SS and Camaro v6...In case you missed it I was voicing my extreme dissapointment with the 2010 Camaro especially with it being used as a DD. The base model Cobalt (or any other car for that matter) would obviously be the much better choice for one who is looking solely for a commuter car/ DD
    The statement was in general not directed @ anyone really. In case you missed it, I did'nt quote you..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

I did'nt even know they offered gauges on the center console in Camaro. My Camaro 01 don't have that either so I guess it's 3 things. lol Yup it's a completely loaded v6. Power everything. ASR and all ..
    its a resemblence of the '69 Maro...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

The statement was in general not directed @ anyone really. In case you missed it, I did'nt quote you..
    Just tying up all loose ends thats all

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I guess debating car styling is very very subjective we all know that. I think a legacy looks like a maxima or any other daily driver I see moms driving every day. I need something sexy. My wife says it all the time maybe I should get a custom plate that says NVRGROUP
    Yea I bought the legacy because I wanted a sti that didnt look like a tuner car more of a sleeper and because I hardly ever see any legacys even mroe so turbo legacys, they seem few and far between. I just think having a v6 stang or camaro is like stuffing your pants. Sure you look good at first but when its time to take those pants off your in for disappointment.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I wouldn't, if it isn't the SS model, or a v8 that is optioned out, its not really my taste.

WHITE
    99 CAMARO SS

keep your z

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information