Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

My friend is considering an LS7 for his 05 goat. He can't make up his mind though. He had the LS2 built up, chipped a piston, had the car de-modded and put it up for sale. Now he is considering forced induction for the LS2, or a forged bottom end, or an LS7. I just told him to go for the gold and go with an LS9. He thinks I'm crazy.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I like this
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7nzC2JRxOM[/ame]

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

check out this solstice!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item33581dbb4a

I think it looks sick

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02cetransam View Post

I think it looks sick
    wow i didnt know the hard top got released, that sure to be a collectors piece later on, considering pontiac is now dead

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    I don't see the point in putting LS7's in solsitices?

Because of you think about it, after it's all said and done it'll weigh about the same as a Z06, just alot uglier....
    Quote Originally Posted by vette0009 View Post
    I hate when people put LS motors in a Ricer it pisses me off.
    Credit your own nation by keepin them under the hood of an ****American made Vehicle*****
    Also I think the Stang'er or Mustang crowd should run their own genre of motors and quit puttin LS motors where their little stang motors once were.
    If you want an LS motor under the hood Buy a Chevrolet

yeah I know the Soltice, Sky, ect: are American made But that Mazda Sure Ain't

Bon
    Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    You can do it cheaper your self... I bet you can build an LS1/LS6 Miata, (With price of car) for $10,000-12,000. This is just drivetrain swamp, and getting it driving. It will still handle like crap, and be scary with the little breaks and tires.

"I didn't buy it, I BUILT it"

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    My friend is considering an LS7 for his 05 goat. He can't make up his mind though. He had the LS2 built up, chipped a piston, had the car de-modded and put it up for sale. Now he is considering forced induction for the LS2, or a forged bottom end, or an LS7. I just told him to go for the gold and go with an LS9. He thinks I'm crazy.
    i wouldnt go ls7...why not ls3 bored and stroked to 427 and then be 10k richer to put into it....dont get me wrong i like the ls7...but i think its uses are only practical for limited situations

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i wouldnt go ls7...why not ls3 bored and stroked to 427 and then be 10k richer to put into it....dont get me wrong i like the ls7...but i think its uses are only practical for limited situations
    He did mention a 427 stroker. He is weighing his options as the GTO is paid off and if he got the C6Z, he would be financing all over again. I, along with other GTO owners told him to go with the build instead because he would be saving money in the end.

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

I think it looks sick
    I was looking those on edmunds yesterday. They are lighter and more powerful than the Z4 coupe. Just not as nice but I'm sure cheaper to maintain. FYI the Solstice coupe is about 10K more than the used 2006 Z4 coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman
    Just pick one:
    "LS1, LS6,LS2, LS3, L99, LS4, LS7, LS9 And LSA Engine History - LS Engine And LSX History

LS1/LS6
    LS1 5.7L (346-cu-in) engines were produced between the 1997 and 2004 model years in the United States (Corvette, Camaro, Firebird and GTO) and stretching into 2005 in other markets (primarily Australia). The LS6 was introduced in 2001 in the Corvette Z06 and was manufactured through 2005, where it also was found in the first generation of the Cadillac CTS-V. The LS1 and LS6 share a 5.7L displacement, but the LS6 production engine uses a unique block casting with enhanced strength, greater bay-to-bay breathing capability and other minor differences. The heads, intake manifolds and camshaft also are unique LS6 parts.

LS2
    In 2005, the LS2 6.0L (364 cu in) engine and the Gen IV design changes debuted. In GM performance vehicles, it was offered in the Corvette, GTO and even the heritage-styled SSR roadster. It is the standard engine in the Pontiac G8 GT. Its larger displacement brought greater power. The LS2 is one of the most adaptable engines, as LS1, LS6, LS3 and L92 cylinder heads work well on it.

LS3/L99
    Introduced on the 2008 Corvette, the LS3 brought LS base performance to an unprecedented level: 430 horsepower from 6.2L (376 cu in) - making it the most powerful base Corvette engine in history. The LS3 block not only has larger bores than the LS2, but a strengthened casting to support more powerful 6.2L engines, including the LS9 supercharged engine of the Corvette ZR1. The LS3 is offered in the Pontiac G8 GXP and is also the standard V-8 engine in the new, 2010 Camaro SS. The L99 version is equipped with GM's fuel-saving Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation system and is standard on 2010 Camaro SS models equipped with an automatic transmission.

LS4
    Perhaps the most unique application of the LS engine in a car, the LS4 is a 5.3L version used in the front-wheel-drive Chevrolet Impala SS and Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. The LS4 has an aluminum block and unique, low-profile front-end accessory system, including a "flattened" water pump, to accommodate the transverse mounting position within the Impala and Grand Prix. It is rated at 303 horsepower and 323 lb-ft of torque.

LS7
    A legend in its own time. The LS7 is the standard engine in the Corvette Z06 and its 7.0L displacement (427 cubic inches) makes it the largest LS engine offered in a production car. Unlike LS1/LS6, LS2 and LS3 engines, the LS7 uses a Siamese-bore cylinder block design - required for its big, 4.125-inch bores. Competition-proven heads and lightweight components, such as titanium rods and intake valves, make the LS7 a street-tuned racing engine, with 505 horsepower. LS7 engines are built by hand at the GM Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

LS9
    The most powerful production engine ever from GM, the LS9 is the 6.2L supercharged and charge-cooled engine of the Corvette ZR1. It is rated at an astonishing 638 horsepower. The LS9 uses the strengthened 6.2L block with stronger, roto-cast cylinder heads and a sixth-generation 2.3L Roots-type supercharger. Like the LS7, it uses a dry-sump oiling system. It is the ultimate production LS engine. It is built by hand at the GM Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

LSA
    A detuned version of the LS9, this supercharged 6.2L engine is standard in the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. It is built with several differences, when compared to the LS9, including hypereutectic pistons vs. the LS9's forged pistons; and a smaller, 1.9L supercharger. The LSA also has a different charge-cooler design on top of the supercharger. Horsepower is rated at 556 in the super-quick Caddy."

Block quote bc I'm feeling lazy.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by loasdrums View Post
    I was looking those on edmunds yesterday. They are lighter and more powerful than the Z4 coupe. Just not as nice but I'm sure cheaper to maintain. FYI the Solstice coupe is about 10K more than the used 2006 Z4 coupe.

Just pick one:
    "LS1, LS6,LS2, LS3, L99, LS4, LS7, LS9 And LSA Engine History - LS Engine And LSX History

LS1/LS6
    LS1 5.7L (346-cu-in) engines were produced between the 1997 and 2004 model years in the United States (Corvette, Camaro, Firebird and GTO) and stretching into 2005 in other markets (primarily Australia). The LS6 was introduced in 2001 in the Corvette Z06 and was manufactured through 2005, where it also was found in the first generation of the Cadillac CTS-V. The LS1 and LS6 share a 5.7L displacement, but the LS6 production engine uses a unique block casting with enhanced strength, greater bay-to-bay breathing capability and other minor differences. The heads, intake manifolds and camshaft also are unique LS6 parts.

LS2
    In 2005, the LS2 6.0L (364 cu in) engine and the Gen IV design changes debuted. In GM performance vehicles, it was offered in the Corvette, GTO and even the heritage-styled SSR roadster. It is the standard engine in the Pontiac G8 GT. Its larger displacement brought greater power. The LS2 is one of the most adaptable engines, as LS1, LS6, LS3 and L92 cylinder heads work well on it.

LS3/L99
    Introduced on the 2008 Corvette, the LS3 brought LS base performance to an unprecedented level: 430 horsepower from 6.2L (376 cu in) - making it the most powerful base Corvette engine in history. The LS3 block not only has larger bores than the LS2, but a strengthened casting to support more powerful 6.2L engines, including the LS9 supercharged engine of the Corvette ZR1. The LS3 is offered in the Pontiac G8 GXP and is also the standard V-8 engine in the new, 2010 Camaro SS. The L99 version is equipped with GM's fuel-saving Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation system and is standard on 2010 Camaro SS models equipped with an automatic transmission.

LS4
    Perhaps the most unique application of the LS engine in a car, the LS4 is a 5.3L version used in the front-wheel-drive Chevrolet Impala SS and Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. The LS4 has an aluminum block and unique, low-profile front-end accessory system, including a "flattened" water pump, to accommodate the transverse mounting position within the Impala and Grand Prix. It is rated at 303 horsepower and 323 lb-ft of torque.

LS7
    A legend in its own time. The LS7 is the standard engine in the Corvette Z06 and its 7.0L displacement (427 cubic inches) makes it the largest LS engine offered in a production car. Unlike LS1/LS6, LS2 and LS3 engines, the LS7 uses a Siamese-bore cylinder block design - required for its big, 4.125-inch bores. Competition-proven heads and lightweight components, such as titanium rods and intake valves, make the LS7 a street-tuned racing engine, with 505 horsepower. LS7 engines are built by hand at the GM Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

LS9
    The most powerful production engine ever from GM, the LS9 is the 6.2L supercharged and charge-cooled engine of the Corvette ZR1. It is rated at an astonishing 638 horsepower. The LS9 uses the strengthened 6.2L block with stronger, roto-cast cylinder heads and a sixth-generation 2.3L Roots-type supercharger. Like the LS7, it uses a dry-sump oiling system. It is the ultimate production LS engine. It is built by hand at the GM Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

LSA
    A detuned version of the LS9, this supercharged 6.2L engine is standard in the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. It is built with several differences, when compared to the LS9, including hypereutectic pistons vs. the LS9's forged pistons; and a smaller, 1.9L supercharger. The LSA also has a different charge-cooler design on top of the supercharger. Horsepower is rated at 556 in the super-quick Caddy."

what is the point of this ??

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I think it looks sick
    yeah i thought the hardtop looked good

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

so the guy from earlier who said "whats an LS7" will be on track.

And its not a bad read, i learned a few things....I had no idea when then LS2 was released

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Just pick one:

LS1/LS6

LS2

LS3/L99

LS4

LS7

LS9

LSA

This is a good read indeed. Thanx.

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

The thought I had was about the LS3 and its bore compared with the LS7. I grabbed the wrong article on top of it. This is what I was thinking of:

"LS9
    The big hoss in LS land, at least for the moment, is the factory-supercharged 638hp small-block that powers the new Corvette ZR1. Not only is the Gen IV LS9 the most powerful engine ever conceived by GM, it easily produces the fattest torque curve of any Chevy in history. While its torque peak of 604 lb-ft at 3,800 rpm is very impressive, the fact that it belts out 350 lb-ft at just 1,000 rpm is downright breathtaking. At its core, the LS9 shares more in common with the LS3 and L92-found in base Corvettes and Cadillac Escalades, respectively-than the LS7. To enhance block rigidity, GM passed on the LS7's 4.125-inch bore dimensions for the thicker cylinder walls afforded by smaller 4.065-inch holes. Furthermore, the block is cast from 319-T7 aluminum and features larger bulkheads, which makes it substantially stronger than prior LS units. It encases a steel crank, titanium rods, and forged 9.1:1 pistons. With a remarkably efficient 2.3L Eaton blower huffing out 10.5 psi through a dual-core intercooler, the exotic race-ported 12-degree LS7 cylinder heads were deemed unnecessary. Instead, GM opted for 15-degree rectangle-port castings that are very similar in design to the L92 and LS3 heads, but built from more durable A-356T6 aluminum. Sometime this summer, GM Performance Parts will start selling complete LS9 crate motors (PN: 19201990) for about $22,000. Granted that isn't cheap, it's still a heck of a lot less than trying to replicate a motor of this caliber that's also emissions legal and capable of lasting 100,000 miles. Moreover, the rugged LS9 block will certainly be a popular foundation for LS stroker buildups once it's released.

DISPLACEMENT: 376 ci
    BLOCK: Cast aluminum
    HEADS: Aluminum 15-degree rectangle port
    BORE/STROKE: 4.065 x 3.622
    COMPRESSION: 9.1:1
    CAMSHAFT: 211/230 @ 0.050; 0.562/0.558; 122.5
    OUTPUT: 638 hp and 604 lb-ft
    WHAT IT’S IN: '09+ Corvette ZR1
    GMPP PN: 19201990"

Full article at:

www.chevyhiperformance.com

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    so the guy from earlier who said "whats an LS7" will be on track.

And its not a bad read, i learned a few things....I had no idea when then LS2 was released
    No I posted on that already, halfheartedly though I did. See above for the real point.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

$22k for an LS9? Daaaaaaaaaayum!!! That's more than a RamJet 572!!

98' trans am

The thought I had was about the LS3 and its bore compared with the LS7. I grabbed the wrong article on top of it. This is what I was thinking of:

"LS9
    The big hoss in LS land, at least for the moment, is the factory-supercharged 638hp small-block that powers the new Corvette ZR1. Not only is the Gen IV LS9 the most powerful engine ever conceived by GM, it easily produces the fattest torque curve of any Chevy in history. While its torque peak of 604 lb-ft at 3,800 rpm is very impressive, the fact that it belts out 350 lb-ft at just 1,000 rpm is downright breathtaking. At its core, the LS9 shares more in common with the LS3 and L92-found in base Corvettes and Cadillac Escalades, respectively-than the LS7. To enhance block rigidity, GM passed on the LS7's 4.125-inch bore dimensions for the thicker cylinder walls afforded by smaller 4.065-inch holes. Furthermore, the block is cast from 319-T7 aluminum and features larger bulkheads, which makes it substantially stronger than prior LS units. It encases a steel crank, titanium rods, and forged 9.1:1 pistons. With a remarkably efficient 2.3L Eaton blower huffing out 10.5 psi through a dual-core intercooler, the exotic race-ported 12-degree LS7 cylinder heads were deemed unnecessary. Instead, GM opted for 15-degree rectangle-port castings that are very similar in design to the L92 and LS3 heads, but built from more durable A-356T6 aluminum. Sometime this summer, GM Performance Parts will start selling complete LS9 crate motors (PN: 19201990) for about $22,000. Granted that isn't cheap, it's still a heck of a lot less than trying to replicate a motor of this caliber that's also emissions legal and capable of lasting 100,000 miles. Moreover, the rugged LS9 block will certainly be a popular foundation for LS stroker buildups once it's released.

DISPLACEMENT: 376 ci
    BLOCK: Cast aluminum
    HEADS: Aluminum 15-degree rectangle port
    BORE/STROKE: 4.065 x 3.622
    COMPRESSION: 9.1:1
    CAMSHAFT: 211/230 @ 0.050; 0.562/0.558; 122.5
    OUTPUT: 638 hp and 604 lb-ft
    WHAT IT’S IN: '09+ Corvette ZR1
    GMPP PN: 19201990"

Full article at:

www.chevyhiperformance.com
    ok that makes more sense ....i was wondering

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    $22k for an LS9? Daaaaaaaaaayum!!! That's more than a RamJet 572!!
    i know..inst that ridiculous ..i dont think i would ever recommend someone using a ls9 if they were going to pay that price

1998 Trans Am

1998 Trans Am

98' trans am

justin i should slap you in the face for posting those pictures

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information