View Poll Results: Do/Did you regret purchasing lowering springs?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Handles better and looks sweet!

121 76.58%
  • Yes. Handled too rough and I bottom out everywhere!

37 23.42%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

BLACK
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    bmr's lower an inch and have very high progressive spring rates.....anyone out there have comments on them?

I have, running BMR+Koni SA.I love the handling of my car.These springs are a perfect combination with koni.

Other handling moda:
    BMR spring/Koni Sa around
    G2:adj phr,adj lca,adj up/low A-arms
    Strano Bars/Poly bushings.
    UMI SFC/Reloc batt

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

nice sounds like that and/or header are my next upgrade in the spring thanks

red
    02 trans am ws6

I have the eibach sport line, with qtp headers and y pipe. Can't get in my drive without rubbing can't go down side roads without rubbing, pretty much puts a damper on where I go. My y pipe is about 1" off the ground. I installed air shocks with about 70psi to lift the rearend up a touch it helped alittle. Handles great and looks good tho!

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

sportlines are also a 2 inch drop arnt they??? ..maybe ill do the springs/koni's first then have the headers installed after...make the shop adjust them til there perfect..LOL

black
    99 Z28

just get them to custom make you a 4" Y-pipe and crush it like factory to help clearance! Thats what Im gonna do.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    oh, you have the DA's ...i only have the SA's

Don't feel bad, those Koni SA's are still outstanding, better than everything else out there, and just fine for VERY spirited VERY aggressive street driving.
    The Black 2001 SS #5697
    T-tops, 6-spd/B&M ripper, ARH LT's/GMMG/CME, Volant, Koni DA's & GC coilovers, Strano frt & rear sways, G2(SFC's w/v-braces, STB, adj PHR), Wilwood 6-piston red calipers frnt brakes w/13" 2-pc rotors, RKSport(clear front & rear corners, c-f grill), chrome Z06 wheels

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos01SS View Post
    Don't feel bad, those Koni SA's are still outstanding, better than everything else out there, and just fine for VERY spirited VERY aggressive street driving.
    Matter of fact, Sam Strano has both setups and prefers the SA's over the DA's...

Can't go wrong with either IMHO.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Matter of fact, Sam Strano has both setups and prefers the SA's over the DA's...

Can't go wrong with either IMHO.
    I agree...

I have talked to Sam quite a few times, he told me the same thing. The only reason I got the DA's over the SA's was at the time I was aboe to purchase the DA's, all four for $603.00 shipped, I couldn't pass up that deal. The DA's are overkill, SA's are more beefy, better for street application.

I've owned the Bilstein HD's, Monroes, KYB's, factory deCarbons, the Koni's are by far the best shocks out of all of them, I am sooo glad I spent the money for them.
    Last edited by Carlos01SS; 09-24-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos01SS View Post
    I agree...

I have talked to Sam quite a few times, he told me the same thing. The only reason I got the DA's over the SA's was at the time I was aboe to purchase the DA's, all four for $603.00 shipped, I couldn't pass up that deal. The DA's are overkill, SA's are more beefy, better for street application.

I've owned the Bilstein HD's, Monroes, KYB's, factory deCarbons, the Koni's are by far the best shocks out of all of them, I am sooo glad I spent the money for them.
    Dude you got a smoken' deal! I definately do not blame you for going the way you did; shoot I would have done the same and never looked back! I agree with you 1000%!

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZ28629 View Post
    just get them to custom make you a 4" Y-pipe and crush it like factory to help clearance! Thats what Im gonna do.
    That reminds me of a story...

I went to Pep Boys for a quick fix, and the mechanic told me I must've bottomed out hard cuz my y-pipe is flat, but that's a very common thing to happen to the f-bodies. Gotta love the Pep Boys "mechanics" who can't realize if it's not scratched, then I obviously didn't pancake it through bottoming out.

Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

MYK02K:

After reading all of the tantalizing advertisments for Eibach's Pro-Kit lowering/performance springs, invested in a set of four and added them--along with a set of Bilstein shocks--to the corners of my 2002 Z28RS. I have an SLP Loudmouth exhaust and a drive-shaft safety loop onboard, and the springs lowered the car so much, that both pieces drug on my driveway and scraped over bumps in the highway when encountering them at speeds over 50 mph.

Three days and 80 miles later, I had my factory springs reinstalled and have been enjoying the sublime qualities of adequate ground clearance ever since. There's something to be said for function over form, especially in a town with steep driveways and marginal roads like Batesville, Arkansas, where I live.

Another reason I was disenchanted with the Eibach Pro-Kit is that the rear springs were too soft; the rear of the car sat down approximately 1.5" lower than the front, ruining the proportions of the car and making my rear wheels appear smaller than they are.

If you want better handling and you're currently experiencing the disadvantages of the your factory suspension, I recommend adding Bilstein Heavy-Duty shocks and keeping your factory springs: This set-up is an excellent compromise between better handling and a safe ride-height.

Sincerely,

J@M

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

This whole thread is like my mind saying "Do IT!" and the other half going "You'll lose your whole body kit with one pothole!". Gotta love this look though...
    , but after all, my body kit already has scrapes and a tiny chunk missing on the rear side peice from the previous owner. I think what I'm going to do is check out adjustable shocks to lower the front end slightly and possibly the rear, just enough to make the wheel-wells look symmetrical with the gap all around. Hell if I can find a kit for $400 I'd be willing to buy air shocks!

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Air Ride kit is $1850 directly from them. They can keep their damn kit and I'll just get adj. front shocks

Black
    2000 TA WS6

Yes, when I bought the Eibach pro kit the rear sagged, bottomed out, but handled great in the turns. No, when I bought the SLP level one kit, it's low enough for people to notice but it doesn't bottom out or drag my SLP long tubes.

Red
    1999 Z28 Convertible

I bought the car lowered with Eibachs. I kind of hate the ride. It corners like it is rails which is cool but it rides rough. It still has stock shocks on it. I have ordered a set Single adjustable Konis. I am hoping this helps the ride. I know the wide tires don't help either. Do you get a better ride with lowered spindals then you do with the springs?
    Thanks, Bob

black
    99 Z28

Do not ever buy KYB!!!!!! I learned the hard way..
    I will be investing in some Koni SA's ASAP... KYB= Keeps You Bouncing for sure
    The struts suck anyway..the rear is ok.. + from day one my driver's side has been creaky and it creaks when it compresses. KYB

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

I wouldnt touch KYB after having them in my eclipse. The adjustment felt cheap and it bounced. Not only that the car sat uneven with them. I swapped to tokicos and it leveled out. A coincidence, i dunno. Im happy with the konis and hotchkis in the SS.
    05 HEMI Ram, 96 Eclipse GST, 02 SS.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jason_a_marzewski View Post
    MYK02K:

If you want better handling and you're currently experiencing the disadvantages of the your factory suspension, I recommend adding Bilstein Heavy-Duty shocks and keeping your factory springs: This set-up is an excellent compromise between better handling and a safe ride-height.

Sincerely,

J@M
    See, something written is never lost:

Your post three months ago just finalised my decision to go exactely with that setup. I've been thinking back and forth about getting lowering springs (Vogtland) or not, being worried about clearence, ride comfort, my 3" dual exhaust and never being able to get out of my underground garage again.

Thanks for the help!

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    See, something written is never lost:

Your post three months ago just finalised my decision to go exactely with that setup. I've been thinking back and forth about getting lowering springs (Vogtland) or not, being worried about clearence, ride comfort, my 3" dual exhaust and never being able to get out of my underground garage again.

Thanks for the help!
    If you are worried about lowering you can check online in the parts/for sale section and upgrade your springs for stock 1LE springs. Better rates and will still work with the HD's.

I found (and purchased) some for $75 off of an f-body board.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Thumbs up

Thanks, I'll check that out!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information