Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    FYI, Minnesota mandates a 10% ethanol blend in ALL of the gasoline. In that regard, all of the gas that's ran through my LS1 has been an ethanol blend. It's unfortunate what has happened to you and your fuel system, but I haven't seen the corrosion you speak of in any of my vehicles.
    You know....I am curious of the blend quality control with this stuff...who regulates it and who "signs off" it has not been contaminated with copious amounts of moisture after it has left the plant that produced it? In other words....I think we are having a raging agreement the transport of this stuff itself can introduce large amounts of water into the E85....by the time it gets to the "blending facility" it may have a shitload of water in it....due improper storage or transport.....is this a possible explanation?

FYI, Minnesota mandates a 10% ethanol blend in ALL of the gasoline. In that regard, all of the gas that's ran through my LS1 has been an ethanol blend. It's unfortunate what has happened to you and your fuel system, but I haven't seen the corrosion you speak of in any of my vehicles.
    gm warns about it in a bulliten i've posted up here many times.The biggest trouble is the fuel rail itself because of the returnless design it traps water in the rail,mix that with efuel and you have trouble.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    gm warns about it in a bulliten i've posted up here many times.The biggest trouble is the fuel rail itself because of the returnless design it traps water in the rail,mix that with efuel and you have trouble.
    Actually...and I will go a hunting for it...GM recommends not using it at all in our engines....that is why I had a flaming/old man blow out when I saw this kid posting this stuff as if it was just tune here and tweak there.....it is misleading as hell and could cost somebody a shitload of parts replacement money if one just took his post as "sticky worthy"....

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You know....I am curious of the blend quality control with this stuff...who regulates it and who "signs off" it has not been contaminated with copious amounts of moisture after it has left the plant that produced it? In other words....I think we are having a raging agreement the transport of this stuff itself can introduce large amounts of water into the E85....by the time it gets to the "blending facility" it may have a shitload of water in it....due improper storage or transport.....is this a possible explanation?
    Honestly, I really don't think so Sarge, we certify the proof to be above 199.0 here at the plant (.5% water) before it leaves the site. They will reject the load if the water content is higher, and believe me, they test it.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    What year LS1's have the returnless design? Or is it all of them? ('97-'02)

Also, I don't think you're lying that you have read this somewhere, but how in the hell does the design trap water in the rail??? That part in it's self boggles me.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

What year LS1's have the returnless design? Or is it all of them? ('97-'02)

Also, I don't think you're lying that you have read this somewhere, but how in the hell does the design trap water in the rail??? That part in it's self boggles me.
    All the new GTO are returnless....04/05 and 06's.....as is my 408 Stroker...all LS1's are returnless if I remember correctly....and to answer.....a returnless system does not allow any "flushing"....everything offered up to the rails goes into the injectors...problem with water/contaminates is they have a totally different volume and "gather" along the edges as the lighter fuel flows around/over them....

White
    '10 ZR1

Well dammit boys, I'm gettin thirsty. All this serious talk at the end of a workday on Friday has my favorite beverage calling my name! Have a great weekend!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Honestly, I really don't think so Sarge, we certify the proof to be above 199.0 here at the plant (.5% water) before it leaves the site. They will reject the load if the water content is higher, and believe me, they test it.
    No I appreciate the QC there...I'm talking about on its way and into various storage tanks at the point of distribution....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well dammit boys, I'm gettin thirsty. All this serious talk at the end of a workday on Friday has my favorite beverage calling my name! Have a great weekend!
    Appreciate your discussion and expertise man...I assume your gonna go down a frosty mug of ethanol

White
    '10 ZR1

No I appreciate the QC there...I'm talking about on its way and into various storage tanks at the point of distribution....
    After I posted that, I re-read your post and realized what you were asking, my bad. As far as that goes, we had some f*cknut try to reject our load of product because it had diesel in it I told them it was their problem they didn't completely empty their tanker before coming to pick up their load here. You see, I don't think those issues are solely with ethanol blended fuel, but rather any fuel.

White
    '10 ZR1

Appreciate your discussion and expertise man...I assume your gonna go down a frosty mug of ethanol
    Bullshit! You can't drink that shit without teflon coating your throat and stomach first! Unless you drink a bottle of Lucas fuel system treatment first! Good Lord Sarge, what are you thinking????

all in jest friends

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

After I posted that, I re-read your post and realized what you were asking, my bad. As far as that goes, we had some f*cknut try to reject our load of product because it had diesel in it I told them it was their problem they didn't completely empty their tanker before coming to pick up their load here. You see, I don't think those issues are solely with ethanol blended fuel, but rather any fuel.
    Yup....I agree...just thinking out loud....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Bullshit! You can't drink that shit without teflon coating your throat and stomach first! Unless you drink a bottle of Lucas fuel system treatment first! Good Lord Sarge, what are you thinking????

all in jest friends
    Hey I'll try damn near anything once!

White
    '10 ZR1

Hey I'll try damn near anything once!

I know one idiot that tried it.......he went blind for about 20 minutes. I'll learn that mistake from someone else, instead of learning it first hand!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Nah...I got some home brew that will blind you for an hour and make you howl at the moon for a couple of days....I'll stick with the good stuff and wait on our Swedish pal to respond here.....
    So damn good mature discussion......Is it fair to summarize?
    We all in agreement to tune your car back and forth is bullshit? That E85 is corrosive and will damage aluminum parts? Or not?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Honestly, there is ONE station local to me that doesn't sell an ethanol mix fuel.
    I haven't heard of any issues with any cars around here.
    I do try to fill up at that one station...but it doesn't always happen.
    My car is 7 years old and just this spring I replaced several parts of my fuel system. All looked good when removed from the car.

That is all I have though.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

between fasstchevys and sarge, where the hell was the swedish threadstarter in all of this?

Nah...I got some home brew that will blind you for an hour and make you howl at the moon for a couple of days....I'll stick with the good stuff and wait on our Swedish pal to respond here.....
    So damn good mature discussion......Is it fair to summarize?
    We all in agreement to tune your car back and forth is bullshit? That E85 is corrosive and will damage aluminum parts? Or not?
    its eats bare steel!

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS7

1. Yes this is a problem. They are not yet using E75 in Sweden but they are talking about it. But it looks like this is the system thats going to be used.
    But since i dont use my car in the winter it´s not a problem for me but i understand that it might be different in USA.
    But the Lambda adjustment doesn´t have any problems with compensating for the small different between E85 and E75. You already have pumps with E10 (and there are talking about E20 correct?) and pumps without and the cars are adjusting for the difference without trouble.
    We have a HUGE carpark with cars that have been convertaed be the owners themself and we are trying to convince the goverment not to use E75 or atleast give us the option to decide for usself which fuel to use.

But yes it is a problem. I want my car to have a perfect tune and it isn´t possible if the fuel is changing... But it is only two times a year, And i like to tune... But if you dont have a tuner i understand your problem or if you cant get the fuel you want. Here we have E85 everywhere.

2. Yes, Water contamination is a problem, I agree.

It would be really interesting to see a test done on an open and closed fueltank, How long time it takes for the E85 to suck up water from the air to the point to it is dangerous to use. It might come in the future, But up til then keep your fueltanks closed I only damage i have seen from E85 yes is a rubber hose that couldn´t take it on my -82 Datsun Yes it is possible to run it on E85, Hell i even run my lawnmower on E85. I just wish i had a Turbocar to experiment on. Since E85 is perfect for boost, I have many friends here in Sweden with forced induction that use E85... Thanks to the cooling effects and higher octane you can use alot more boost.
    Just look at the Saab 9-5 Turbo with Biopower engine (big seller here in Sweden) that when it is fueled with E85 gives 20% more hp and 16% more torque compared with regular gas.

Water contaminated fuel from the pump isn´t much you and i can do anything about but hoping the gascompanies have there shit together

Is E85 more toxic or dangerous than gasoline?
    No. 100% ethanol (not 100% E85) can be and is ingested by human beings. The fuel ethanol must be "denatured" with gasoline or a bitter agent to prevent ingestion. Also, ethanol does not contain the harmful carcinogens and toxins found in gasoline.

Statement below is taken from the flextek page.
    If I have a gasoline vehicle and convert it to alcohol, am I going to damage the engine?
    No. There are currently over 50,000 vehicles on the road using the FlexTek to burn alcohol fuels. There have been no reports of engine damage due to the conversion. In fact, burning alcohol instead of gasoline has been shown to decrease engine oil contamination and extend engine life. Alcohol burns cooler than gasoline providing additional benefits in terms of engine life and performance.

BTW i will copy and paste this post in the thread on the other forum which cant be named here, this info was made for that forum from the start but since i post here from time to time i thought i would be i nice fellow and post it here aswell. Ouch Boy was i wrong. I wont post any more here since i dont feel welcome. I have gotten a few "hatemail" since i started this thread aswell, I wont post any names, You know who you are...

Bye.

If you have more question feel free to post in the other thread.
    Last edited by Runn_WS7; 11-11-2006 at 01:11 AM.
    www.ws7.se
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1249
    Running on E85

Twin Turbo Project Started

Hello from Sweden.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Honestly, there is ONE station local to me that doesn't sell an ethanol mix fuel.
    I haven't heard of any issues with any cars around here.
    I do try to fill up at that one station...but it doesn't always happen.
    My car is 7 years old and just this spring I replaced several parts of my fuel system. All looked good when removed from the car.

That is all I have though.
    Is it E10 or E85?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information