Page 21 of 193 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242541516171121171 ... LastLast

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, you can definitely smoke on that. It would take some practice and I'd say start simple. Do a pork butt, country ribs, or chicken wings first to get used to doing it that way and move up from there. With those grills you build the fire all the way to one side and put the meat on the other side. The big advantage to using that type of grill is the amount of charcoal needed to get your temp up and maintain it. A small pile of 10-15 briquettes would probably get that up in the 250 range. It also wouldn't take much wood to impart flavor into the food. Go buy a cheap grill themometer that you can stick down through an air vent to monitor your temps and then go for it.
    i really want to smoke ribs, they get so damn tender. is 250 the desired smoking temperature? how do you keep it from getting too hot?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Has anyone here ever used one of these yet? My sister and her husband have the large one and they're always grillin' on that thing.

http://biggreenegg.com/

Click for full size
    I've never used one but the people that have them swear by them. They're very expensive for what your getting. I wonder if that's like car parts? Someone spends money on a car part and they can tell the difference in the seat of the pants......on a strut bar.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    i really want to smoke ribs, they get so damn tender. is 250 the desired smoking temperature? how do you keep it from getting too hot?
    smoking is an art that i haven't perfected either.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would work up to ribs. Do country ribs first or something along those lines to get a feel for smoking on the grill. You can control the temp with the vents. It's not rocket science and if you're not exactly 250 it won't hurt anything. Just remember with smoking the key is low and slow. You'd rather be at 200 than 300. The lower and slower the more tender and flavorful the food is. Another way is to cheat. Aluminum foil can be your friend. Most die hards call that cheating but if you want fall off the bone ribs everytime start them off smoking naked on the grill and finish them the last hour or two wrapped in foil. Technically a rib that falls off the bone is overcooked...you want to have to twist the bone out but it should come out without much effort.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

I would work up to ribs. Do country ribs first or something along those lines to get a feel for smoking on the grill. You can control the temp with the vents. It's not rocket science and if you're not exactly 250 it won't hurt anything. Just remember with smoking the key is low and slow. You'd rather be at 200 than 300. The lower and slower the more tender and flavorful the food is. Another way is to cheat. Aluminum foil can be your friend. Most die hards call that cheating but if you want fall off the bone ribs everytime start them off smoking naked on the grill and finish them the last hour or two wrapped in foil. Technically a rib that falls off the bone is overcooked...you want to have to twist the bone out but it should come out without much effort.
    then i like my ribs over cooked, haha. what is the difference between ribs and country ribs?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    That's a nice set up there, but they didn't list a price?
    they're ~$900 for the 18" grills.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That one pictured there (the extra large) is, I believe $900. My sisters was around $650-$700.

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    That's a nice set up there, but they didn't list a price?
    Last edited by SiggyZ; 06-07-2009 at 09:07 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

then i like my ribs over cooked, haha. what is the difference between ribs and country ribs?
    where they're cut from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_ribs

I'm a big fan of country ribs.....can't mess those things up if you tried. Baby backs cooked right are incredible but it takes some practice to get those right. Be prepared to eat a few slabs of baby backs not quite how you like them until you get good at it. Like I say, wrapping them in foil the last hour or two will make them moist and fall off the bone.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

country ribs can be boneless and more tender with more meat compared to regular ribs

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

You can just kiss my white ass, Orion.

I've never used one but the people that have them swear by them. They're very expensive for what your getting. I wonder if that's like car parts? Someone spends money on a car part and they can tell the difference in the seat of the pants......on a strut bar.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Hey, Orion, do you ever mix the lump and briquettes? Any benefit to doing so?

I've never used the lump before either. But, eager to try it out. I was going to use up the briquettes I have first before I opened up the lump.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You can just kiss my white ass, Orion.
    I'm just saying.....the people that have those grills love them but if I spent that kinda money on a grill I would probably say that too whether it was that good or not. Like a strut bar.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Just put equals amounts of the ground beef and sausage on the area you put it on.
    thank you so much for the sausage idea,i browned a pound of ground beef and half a roll of tennessee pride hot sausage then mixed in the taco seasoning.turned out amazing! wife absolutely loved the nachos!

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post

I've never used the lump before either. But, eager to try it out. I was going to use up the briquettes I have first before I opened up the lump.
    My name's not Orion. But I used lumps with the second chickens I did, and boy does it ever burn different. You can char the tar outta your meat if you don't watch it and keep the flames turned down.
    Last edited by SiggyZ; 06-07-2009 at 09:17 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, I've mixed them when I'd be running out of one and have the other. The other times I've done that would be if I smoked overnight and then switched to lump when I woke up. Can't say as I really see any reason to mix or a reason to not mix. Just use up all of your briquettes and then give the lump a try but like I say......tend it close the first time or you'll burn food.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

My name's not Orion. But I used lumps with the second chickens I did, and boy does it ever burn different. You can char the tar outta your meat if you don't watch it and keep the flames turned down.
    Hey, My names not Orion... that's not what I asked

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

And I'll say it again. You can kiss it!

I'm just saying.....the people that have those grills love them but if I spent that kinda money on a grill I would probably say that too whether it was that good or not. Like a strut bar.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

yeah, I've mixed them when I'd be running out of one and have the other. The other times I've done that would be if I smoked overnight and then switched to lump when I woke up. Can't say as I really see any reason to mix or a reason to not mix. Just use up all of your briquettes and then give the lump a try but like I say......tend it close the first time or you'll burn food.
    Thanks. I will.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Hey, My names not Orion... that's not what I asked
    I know that's not what you asked, but I've used the lump and I'm just tryin' to be helpful and tell you to keep your eye on your meat and keep the flames turned down. If not, you're gonna have what looks like lump coals, resting on your grates.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my brother gave up after 1/2 of a bag....he was burning everything he put on the grill. I guess his first time he tried burgers and had flames rolling out of the grill because he loaded the grill up with charcoal and had some grease flare ups that were getting out of control. I would've loved to have been there for that. I keep my lump in a pile when doing burgers and start them off around the outside off the direct heat until some of the fat cooks off then I move them over the heat.

Page 21 of 193 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242541516171121171 ... LastLast

Thread Information