Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can i run E85

Red
    04 GTO

Okay i did 1 full tank and i just went back to 93 oct, i figure i better not chance it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I was curious about running e85 awhile back and actually called GM. they said in noway is the GTO compatible with e85
    Yeah...Pontiac/GM will tell you hell no.....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by ledesma54 View Post
    Okay i did 1 full tank and i just went back to 93 oct, i figure i better not chance it.
    Couple of things I struggle with on this entire E85 bullshit hysterics....
    1. I got a alcohol tune and cant find E85...WTF do I do? I mean there is nowhere within 100 miles of me that sells E85. The flex fuel cars have sensors to adjust the tune on the fly.
    2. By the time I replace all my shit to run it and the crap gas mileage...I lost any benefits IMHO.

Hell a meth injection kit is only $250.

Good man...you made the right decision.....

white
    2002 B4C

Non-flex fuel test with Ethanol: http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/08...y-car-use-e85/

Read the first sentence at least: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel
    Brazil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

There are plenty of other articles if you search the Web. I applaud anyone attempting to run an alternative fuel. It's too bad there are no definitive answers. Brazil uses sugar cane to produce there ethanol, not corn. Look at the pictures of the flex fuel vehicles: Chevy and Ford etc... They know the truth, but you won't hear it. If you do attempt to run E85 I would get bigger injectors, tune, fuel lines and race fuel cell. Here is another alternative: http://www.flextek.com/

I don't claim to have the correct answer to the original question just wanted to present some information I found in my search for running E85. MY disclaimer
    Last edited by TedsB4Csled; 07-20-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spell

Black
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Nope....I'm talking E85 eating the shit out of systems that are not built for it. The possible problem areas on the GTO are: Filler neck, pump assembly (pump, bucket, filter, and lines in the tank), the flexible line that connects the motor to the feed line on the fire wall. All made of rubber and plastic that E85 will eventually eat.
    As Sarge says E85 can't be run in all cars and the items he lists above are some of the ones that have to be changed plus the tune. Then you will find your gas mileage is less, performance is down, and u use more. So what did u gain?

yellow
    2002 Z06

I got an e85 tune on a 2003 Silverado and the power difference is noticeable, specially torque.
    I have also added lesser %'s to my wifes 2006 Trailblazer and a 2000 Alero and I do like it. You definetly get more out of the fuel if its tuned for it. On the Silverado I tried the same ethanol % with a high octane tune vs the e85 tune, the engine felt lazy compared to the e85 tune.
    I would like to compare methanol water injection to the e85 injection as well.

Carlos

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

My 2008 Silverado loses about 5 miles to the gallon on the highway on E85. What you save a the pump is offset by that. Other then that I notice zero difference driving on it vs gas.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I beleive you need to retune to get the most out of E85.

yellow
    2002 Z06

GTO 01 Is your truck a FFV?
    Mine is not I had a good low cruise enhanced octane tune with HP Tuners and put a Diablo E85 tune over that. There is no doubt the tune works, when the weather gets better I'll be able to get some good mpg data for comparison.
    Personally I like the fuel, I do think there is not much advantage in a low compression motor for just transportation and at these lower prices.
    I ran alky in my previous race car and my new one will be E85. This months Hot Rod just ran a story about a 6-71 blown EFI LS motor that was optomized in tune for E85, 93 octane, and C12. The motor made 1 hp difference between the C12 and 93 octane but made 50 HP more with the E85 optimized tune, check it out.
    I have friends down South that have been using it for 4 years now and love it.
    IMO if you take the best features of gas and alky it equals E85.

Carlos

i run 40% E85 in my truck. no issues spools faster and harder, drives smoother off boost, runs cooler, smells better. just on days below 30* its little hard to start.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesnmina2001 View Post
    GTO 01 Is your truck a FFV?
    Mine is not I had a good low cruise enhanced octane tune with HP Tuners and put a Diablo E85 tune over that. There is no doubt the tune works, when the weather gets better I'll be able to get some good mpg data for comparison.
    Personally I like the fuel, I do think there is not much advantage in a low compression motor for just transportation and at these lower prices.
    I ran alky in my previous race car and my new one will be E85. This months Hot Rod just ran a story about a 6-71 blown EFI LS motor that was optomized in tune for E85, 93 octane, and C12. The motor made 1 hp difference between the C12 and 93 octane but made 50 HP more with the E85 optimized tune, check it out.
    I have friends down South that have been using it for 4 years now and love it.
    IMO if you take the best features of gas and alky it equals E85.

Carlos

Yes, V8, 5.3L; FFV with Active Fuel Management.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesnmina2001 View Post
    I got an e85 tune on a 2003 Silverado and the power difference is noticeable, specially torque.
    I have also added lesser %'s to my wifes 2006 Trailblazer and a 2000 Alero and I do like it. You definetly get more out of the fuel if its tuned for it. On the Silverado I tried the same ethanol % with a high octane tune vs the e85 tune, the engine felt lazy compared to the e85 tune.
    I would like to compare methanol water injection to the e85 injection as well.
    I'm confused cause there is a difference between "methanol injection" and "water injection".

Methanol injection is very similar to nitrous, a higher burning fuel to get things rollin!

Water injection though is strictly for safety. I know people claim "performance benefits" but it really doesnt and thus the reason the intercooler is forced inductions best friend. The only application you would want to run water injections is HIGH OUTPUT HIGH COMPRESSION MOTORS! Specifically your running such a high compression that the heat is too much so you use the water injection to cool your shit! Strictly a method to prevent detonation when hauling ass down a strip.

No need for any other engine.....remember water in your engine = BAD!

I see these companies with "meth/water injection kits" but its another scam with a proposed "new technology" to get a bunch of people with no knowledge to buy stupid shit.

You want extra power.....go cheaper with nitrous! It actually works and worth it!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Also meth injection is mainly done through your intake. Water injection is through your fuel injectors/carbs depending on set-up. You NEVER want to inject water in your intake! NEVER!

These meth/water injection systems are usually for your intake. Blasphemy!

Remember water injection was mainly developed for forced induction to cool the engine with the amount of compressed air/ higher compression but faded out when the intercooler came cause it drops the temp of the incoming air making it more dense which also creates more power while cooling. Bravo! Water injection though has come back recently for high compression and high horsepower cars (1000+ HP Applications) to cool even more since detonation is more prone since these motors are quite unstable.

Just more info for everyone.....

P.S. - Meth injection (also nitrous) is primarily used for turbo applications. When you use it from the start it creates exhaust gas pressure FAST thus spinning your turbo/s almost instantaneously creating almost no lag. This though does not add horespower to this application but your usuable power to the ground much quicker!
    Last edited by 6.0LiterImportEater; 03-23-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post

Also meth injection is mainly done through your intake. Water injection is through your fuel injectors/carbs depending on set-up. You NEVER want to inject water in your intake! NEVER!

These meth/water injection systems are usually for your intake. Blasphemy!

Remember water injection was mainly developed for forced induction to cool the engine with the amount of compressed air/ higher compression but faded out when the intercooler came cause it drops the temp of the incoming air making it more dense which also creates more power while cooling. Bravo! Water injection though has come back recently for high compression and high horsepower cars (1000+ HP Applications) to cool even more since detonation is more prone since these motors are quite unstable.

Just more info for everyone.....

P.S. - Meth injection (also nitrous) is primarily used for turbo applications. When you use it from the start it creates exhaust gas pressure FAST thus spinning your turbo/s almost instantaneously creating almost no lag. This though does not add horespower to this application but your usuable power to the ground much quicker!
    meth doesnt do the same as N20

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    1+ No it doesn't.

I'm NA and I'm going to be adding methanol this year for cooling for when it's 80+ degrees out... not for any additional power.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    I have to agree to disagree,meth and NOS does the same thing,they both make more power kinda in similar ways,nitrous does make turbos spool faster when a turbo car has some lag off the line it helps them get it going, and also has a cooling effect,most guys use a small amount to get car moving, spool turbos and then progress it out,alky in the same setup will allow the turbo car to run more timing giving the cooling effects thus making more allowable power,alky will also do the same thing on a NA vech,people have been running it for years on towing vech especially trucks,keep them from pinging ,for example going through the mountains pulling a load. they both cool the motor and allow more usable power to be made.Alky wont spool the turbos up faster unless you spray some at the turbo inlets,it has been known to help spool more boost in the cold air side,i plan on using two sets of nozzels one on the turbo inlets and one before my throttle body,when using it before the air inlets on the compressor side its been known to spool turbos 3-4 more psi then normally seen.
    Last edited by qwkgto; 03-24-2009 at 03:18 AM.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

What I don't understand is why use meth injection to only cool your motor?

I'm sorry but I'm old fashioned so if I'm running too hot (i.e. with a cam set-up) I would get a larger radiator and tweak my traditional cooling system (lower temp thermostat, water pump, etc...) before going with a meth set-up.

Just my two cents....

Also the key to understand meth is that it burns as fuel in your combustion chamber! It cools your engine because it creates your "octane" rating to be much higher (easier combustion). Hmmmmm.......nitrous does the same thing!

If you do decide to go the meth route make sure you TUNE for it!

P.S. - Meth is primarily used for forced induction too.
    Last edited by 6.0LiterImportEater; 03-24-2009 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    I have to agree to disagree,meth and NOS does the same thing,they both make more power kinda in similar ways,nitrous does make turbos spool faster when a turbo car has some lag off the line it helps them get it going, and also has a cooling effect,most guys use a small amount to get car moving, spool turbos and then progress it out,alky in the same setup will allow the turbo car to run more timing giving the cooling effects thus making more allowable power,alky will also do the same thing on a NA vech,people have been running it for years on towing vech especially trucks,keep them from pinging ,for example going through the mountains pulling a load. they both cool the motor and allow more usable power to be made.Alky wont spool the turbos up faster unless you spray some at the turbo inlets,it has been known to help spool more boost in the cold air side,i plan on using two sets of nozzels one on the turbo inlets and one before my throttle body,when using it before the air inlets on the compressor side its been known to spool turbos 3-4 more psi then normally seen.
    your talking about 2 totally different things and trying to see what is similar. Meth is a knock suppressent since its a slower burning fuel. i have never seen someone try to spray meth preturbo. you can run yur vehicle souly off meth you cant run your vehicle off n20.

most use meth to aid in IATs, some use it as a secondary fuel. then some use meth to take advantage of its slower burn rate by turning up boost and adding timing

N20 your limited to timing, you cant run it as fuel, and ppl use n20 for power

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post

What I don't understand is why use meth injection to only cool your motor?

I'm sorry but I'm old fashioned so if I'm running too hot (i.e. with a cam set-up) I would get a larger radiator and tweak my traditional cooling system (lower temp thermostat, water pump, etc...) before going with a meth set-up.

Just my two cents....

Also the key to understand meth is that it burns as fuel in your combustion chamber! It cools your engine because it creates your "octane" rating to be much higher (easier combustion). Hmmmmm.......nitrous does the same thing!

If you do decide to go the meth route make sure you TUNE for it!

P.S. - Meth is primarily used for forced induction too.
    Why? because I lose around half a second in the 1/4 between 40 and 90 degrees. ...its not the cars temperature...its the air temperature that is being cooled. Cooler air = denser air = more power.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...hlight=500rwhp

Thread Information