Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Is this guy kidding or what ? Is that right ? So G.M. never intended for us to gas our LS1's . REALLY !
    I guess it never occured to G.M. that we might do just that.I know of several guys runnin bone stock that grenade the 10-bolt . Shame on those guys for beatin on those poor little weak 10-bolts.
    oh lord here we go....i would like to remind everyone that the camaro and the firebird were the "entry" level hi-po that gm offered. they were not the corvette...these cars were designed to compete with the mustang and quite frankly destroy the mustang. thats it. The 10 bolt if taken care of will survive... G.M does really give a rip what you do after you buy the car..i mean are you kidding me..do you think the executives and the designers planned on and adjusted all their designs to accommodate those who would modify their cars? thats the same reason why many times mods will void the warranty..why is that kids??? all together now..."because the accompanying parts aren't designed for it if you had a puzzle and took one piece out and tried to put another piece from another puzzle it wouldn't fit..because the puzzle wasn't designed for that piece. i have a "stock" t/a with a 10 bolt..it does just fine..i will do a burn out here and there..but i don't do 1k+ launches..i dont act stupid with it...gm put the 10 bolt in these platforms because 1. it was a cost effective solution for the arrangement of parts. granted we could have had 12 bolts for these cars ..but not only would that have raised the price on our cars that were already more expensive then the mustang (the main reason that the f-bods were discontinued) but also would have been over kill for our cars. Our cars are not corvettes and not flagships..despite how much we want to argue g.m should have done this and this and put all these top end parts in because when people run "POWER ADDERS" things start to break...............well no shit..most things do. Gm created these cars for a certain segment. It did its job and was able to give us a great powerplant ect. however to stay in that segment it had to make cuts and had to put parts in that only did the job...no more. the 10 bolt and the 4l60e did/do that. Those people who gernaded their 10 bolts i guarantee you they abused their cars or asked it to do more then it was designed to do...doing donuts all the time and high rpm/stressful activities with ANY SYSTEM will cause problems and failures...take care of your machine..if you decide to ask the platform to do more then it is designed for...then don't bitch when it fails under those loads and be prepared to upgrade the supporting equipment

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    i also read that post and it gave me the "o" face....totally agree with you r sarcasm.... oh yeah its funny cuz i also own a 2002 pewter convertible z28(just got tired of that color so i chose the "inferno red"color by chrysler)
    Well at least you got an SS hood & paint job. Wanna tell us the particulars , like , whose fault was it ?

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    oh lord here we go....i would like to remind everyone that the camaro and the firebird were the "entry" level hi-po that gm offered. they were not the corvette...these cars were designed to compete with the mustang and quite frankly destroy the mustang. thats it. The 10 bolt if taken care of will survive... G.M does really give a rip what you do after you buy the car..i mean are you kidding me..do you think the executives and the designers planned on and adjusted all their designs to accommodate those who would modify their cars? thats the same reason why many times mods will void the warranty..why is that kids??? all together now..."because the accompanying parts aren't designed for it if you had a puzzle and took one piece out and tried to put another piece from another puzzle it wouldn't fit..because the puzzle wasn't designed for that piece. i have a "stock" t/a with a 10 bolt..it does just fine..i will do a burn out here and there..but i don't do 1k+ launches..i dont act stupid with it...gm put the 10 bolt in these platforms because 1. it was a cost effective solution for the arrangement of parts. granted we could have had 12 bolts for these cars ..but not only would that have raised the price on our cars that were already more expensive then the mustang (the main reason that the f-bods were discontinued) but also would have been over kill for our cars. Our cars are not corvettes and not flagships..despite how much we want to argue g.m should have done this and this and put all these top end parts in because when people run "POWER ADDERS" things start to break...............well no shit..most things do. Gm created these cars for a certain segment. It did its job and was able to give us a great powerplant ect. however to stay in that segment it had to make cuts and had to put parts in that only did the job...no more. the 10 bolt and the 4l60e did/do that. Those people who gernaded their 10 bolts i guarantee you they abused their cars or asked it to do more then it was designed to do...doing donuts all the time and high rpm/stressful activities with ANY SYSTEM will cause problems and failures...take care of your machine..if you decide to ask the platform to do more then it is designed for...then don't bitch when it fails under those loads and be prepared to upgrade the supporting equipment
    Thank you. Very well said.

white
    2002 z28

im glad i didnt have to type all that info, thanks !! but XXXXXXX22222 on shady man on what he says.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    im glad i didnt have to type all that info, thanks !! but XXXXXXX22222 on shady man on what he says.
    Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    Thank you. Very well said.
    thanks

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by schurke View Post
    Where can you find an 8.5 10"?
    Any idea how much?
    I'm not sure if anyone bothers making a bolt-in 8.5" rear for F-bodies.

Too bad, because it would still be a lot stronger than the 7.5", and a lot cheaper than a 12 bolt or 9". Plus it would probably be a direct bolt in, no modifications that I can think of.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Yeah , but would it be quiet or would it also be a howler ?

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Well I'm really glad that you don't run your ride hard enough to hurt that little 7.5" 10-bolt .
    But I didn't buy my Z to baby that fucker. What good is having 310 rear wheel HP from the factory if your gonna be afraid to nail that sucker almost every time you get the chance? I'm addicted to that rush that puts a big smile on my face EVERYTIME I gas it .No I don't abuse the car by any means , but at the same time I don't want to worry about the rear end breakin every time I want to blow away a Mustang on the street. If you want to pat the GM bean counters on the back for a job well done , then go ahead and stroke um but I just feel that the company could have at least offered the 12-bolt as an option. Therefore , they fucked up !

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Well I'm really glad that you don't run your ride hard enough to hurt that little 7.5" 10-bolt .
    But I didn't buy my Z to baby that fucker. What good is having 310 rear wheel HP from the factory if your gonna be afraid to nail that sucker almost every time you get the chance? I'm addicted to that rush that puts a big smile on my face EVERYTIME I gas it .No I don't abuse the car by any means , but at the same time I don't want to worry about the rear end breakin every time I want to blow away a Mustang on the street. If you want to pat the GM bean counters on the back for a job well done , then go ahead and stroke um but I just feel that the company could have at least offered the 12-bolt as an option. Therefore , they fucked up !
    Problem is the 12 bolt would have costed more. They already had the LS1 engine and the T56 for a starting price in the low 20's, it was already a huge bargain.

What they should have done is just thrown in the 8.5" 10 bolt instead. It wouldn't be bulletproof by any means, but occurances of rears blowing out on cars with less than 400WHP would be much less prevailent.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I've wondered how much more that would have cost at the retail level. Anyway, HP Pontiac did a feature over about 3 magazines and about 12 months ago on how to stregthen the diff, by welding the tubes to the center section, adding a diff cover (girder?) and I believe different axles.

98' trans am

it wont break if you gas it tool. dont come in talking about me babying my car..i love to "gas it"..however i am smart about it...i'm patting the bean counter's back because the f-bods are a great bargin for what we get..if you want only the best..then buy the vette or be prepaired to spend 40k+ on the f-bods..that would have went over real good for the 4th gens that already sold like shit...i'd suggest you cool your jets and think about what you say..because all you say is i love to gas it..but i Dont want my 10 bolt to break...........which means 1. your 10 bolt has not broken yet..so stop your bitching until it does...and 2. you wont have worry about it unless you freak out with your car and pull a dukes of hazards with it...be thankful that we have these great cars for a decent price..and learn a lil something about buyer segments and why the 4th gen f-bodies were designed and sold..and why they didnt do so well.

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

it wont break if you gas it tool. dont come in talking about me babying my car..i love to "gas it"..however i am smart about it...i'm patting the bean counter's back because the f-bods are a great bargin for what we get..if you want only the best..then buy the vette or be prepaired to spend 40k+ on the f-bods..that would have went over real good for the 4th gens that already sold like shit...i'd suggest you cool your jets and think about what you say..because all you say is i love to gas it..but i Dont want my 10 bolt to break...........which means 1. your 10 bolt has not broken yet..so stop your bitching until it does...and 2. you wont have worry about it unless you freak out with your car and pull a dukes of hazards with it...be thankful that we have these great cars for a decent price..and learn a lil something about buyer segments and why the 4th gen f-bodies were designed and sold..and why they didnt do so well.
    Shady, don't waste your time. That guy just doesn't get it.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    Shady, don't waste your time. That guy just doesn't get it.
    What , you two guys datin or something.Which ones the bitch?
    You two don't get your panties ruffled now,
    shadetree & jiggernut ! What are ya'll ? The official spokesman for the General Motors Corporation!
    Hey , shadetree , you still drivin around on them Mustang wheels ? Ha !
    Last edited by Z ROADSTER; 11-01-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

shadetree & jiggernut ! What are ya'll ? The official spokesman for the General Motors Corporation!
    What are you 16 years old? Grow-up.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by schurke View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Personal attacks & crude remarks directed at those attempting to answer my question are neither funny or helpful.
    Apparently there aren't any 8.5/10" assemblies to be had.
    Next question: What is the solution for the alleged weak rear-end units? Complete replacement with a 12 bolt or 9" Ford or are there other units available.
    This is the first Camaro I have owned since 1967 when I happen to be fortunate enough to own an original Z-28 (1 of 602). The weak link(s) then was the clutch & the entire suspension. Obviously times (the car) have changed. Any insight anyone can provide me about the 1999 SS would be appreciated. THX
    its usually best to go with a 9"...they are damn near impossible to break..if you like to keep it GM then go with the 12.

98' trans am

oh please fill me in mustang wheels???

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quick question to you guys...

I got a stock 10 bolt, I plan on getting a cam and other goodies to put me over 400RWHP. I'll probably get DRs sooner or later....now I'm spending a lot of money on other things. New 42" LCD, 360, Konis, Stall, c6 z06's, I'm just wondering if someone will post up some prices for all the rearend choices a guy like me could have and possibly a rating for that rear end.

Kinda like this:

9" 3k A+
    12 bolt 2k B+

could someone do this real quick without making me search, thx a bunch

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Quick question to you guys...

I got a stock 10 bolt, I plan on getting a cam and other goodies to put me over 400RWHP. I'll probably get DRs sooner or later....now I'm spending a lot of money on other things. New 42" LCD, 360, Konis, Stall, c6 z06's, I'm just wondering if someone will post up some prices for all the rearend choices a guy like me could have and possibly a rating for that rear end.

Kinda like this:

9" 3k A+
    12 bolt 2k B+

could someone do this real quick without making me search, thx a bunch

your actually correct on the rating..the prices are different. the 9" i believe cost 1.9k and the 12 closer to 2.5k

Thread Information