Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom2kz View Post
    test the spark, run a fuel injector balence test, to make sure all injectors can/ are firing
    and preform a compression test,,, you only need air, fuel and spark,,, what are you missing?
    I"m missing Spark...basicly...

Royal pain in the.... Phantom2kz's Avatar

2001 Z-28 A4 NBM
    2002 35th anni SS M6#1696

swap entire coil pack assy from one side to the other to check for component failure or for signal loss..[shorts,opens]... could poss be bad drivers in PCM
    dont give up

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

I just did a test... I unpluged the Battery for a little while... let the computer reset itself... and turned the car on again...and it wasn't bad at all... then... within a few minutes... it started it again...it appears to be only the Passanger side that's missin... (scanner had read #2,6,8)... and it's pretty much right... I found the Coils on E-bay... $20 each...about $40 cheaper then over here.. so I guess... after the Mechanic looks at it again... I'll decide weither to buy them or what

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

ALL these engines have random misfires, and if they are below a certain number, per whatever the cycle reads, no codes are thrown.

A friend of mine plugged into both my and his camaro ports (using HPP3 hand held (I think)), and both cars registered random misfires, my vehicle registered up to 10, than zeroed out on whatever cycle the PCM uses, his vehicle registered 9 and then zeroed out.

If the random misfires are frequent, severe, and multiple (I do not know what number that is), then the code is thrown.

Point: while running this test on my vehicle, and counting the misfires, my engine idle was very smooth, you would not know this was happening.

I also do not experience ANY problems on acceleration, and I get decent gas mileage.

My vehicle is a 2001 Z28 A4 with 21K original miles, it is a "garage queen".

My friends vehicle is a 2002 Z28 A4 with 58K.

SteveC
    Last edited by SteveC; 09-02-2007 at 06:48 AM.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    ALL these engines have random misfires, and if they are below a certain number, per whatever the cycle reads, no codes are thrown.

A friend of mine plugged into both my and his camaro ports (using HPP3 hand held (I think)), and both cars registered random misfires, my vehicle registered up to 10, than zeroed out on whatever cycle the PCM uses, his vehicle registered 9 and then zeroed out.

If the random misfires are frequent, severe, and multiple (I do not know what number that is), then the code is thrown.

Point: while running this test on my vehicle, and counting the misfires, my engine idle was very smooth, you would not know this was happening.

I also do not experience ANY problems on acceleration, and I get decent gas mileage.

SteveC
    lucky... ... during the scan... in the process of like 1 min... #2, 6 8 missfired over 2,000times... the rest all had what I guess is the normal...allowable amount...of like 10, 15, 20... so... POO to whatever busted up the pasesnger bank... right now it sounds like if it had a extremely agressive cam... cause it's barely running properly on 5 to 4 cils

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I am by no means an expert on these vehicles, however if it isn't a coil, it should be a sensor of some kind related to just that side of the engine knock, oxygen ?, I certainly do not know.

Good luck in fixing it, it seems to me that a good local shop (not dealer) should be able to diagnose (sp) the problem and correct it.

SteveC

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I am by no means an expert on these vehicles, however if it isn't a coil, it should be a sensor of some kind related to just that side of the engine knock, oxygen ?, I certainly do not know.

Good luck in fixing it, it seems to me that a good local shop (not dealer) should be able to diagnose (sp) the problem and correct it.

SteveC
    yep...that's where I took it to get scanned...but it runs to wrough now...that I'm afraid to drive it there... it's a good 30mins away...after highway steep hils...and plenty of traffic...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Good News, Bad News...

well I would like to update what's been going on... the mechanic... narroed the problem down to the ECU going bad... they brought a new one along with a guy who specializes in reprograming them, and such... well turns out the computer wasn't really bad, just somehow had lost programing... so they did some stuff to it...and the car works great ... expet for a bit of stumbling when I slow down... and in Idle...

In the final scan they did... it turned out that the car had SOME MAF codes... so they are gonna check that out on monday...gonna bring a new one and test compared to the old one...and figure out what's the problem with it...(could just need to be cleaned)...

it was a BIG relief...when he said that they didn't have to change Coils or anything else...cause they are $70 each around here... ... and as soon as Monday comes around...and it becomes "perfect"... I'll get to KEEP my CAR... because it wasn't that expensive of a fix...

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Right on...glad they narrowed it down. Maf's can be pretty expensive though...you might want to check out gmpartsdirect before you buy one from them.

Thread Information