Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

regardless of which you choose, IMO, you won't be disappointed with either one...
    i think u just answered my overall question with that statement. i think i'll go with the A4. im only 19 and i can always get another one later. who knows maybe when im done with this one, i'll have changed my mind about sticks and get a 6 speed.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Umm..definitely not. With regular service, a manual transmission will outlast an automatic every time. They are generally built stronger, and there is no internal slippage or excessve friction inside the transmission. How many cars do you see with 200K on the clock with an automatic transmission?? Not many, because they don't generally last that long. Unless of course you're talking about a TH350 or TH400, which is a different ballgame. Guys have had 4L60's go out with less than 100K on them, and thats without beating on them. Same thing with the 700R4, which was the earlier version of the 4L60.

Clutches can last indefinitely if you know how to drive stick properly and don't abuse them, and when they do go changing a clutch is a hell of a lot cheaper than rebuilding an automatic trans because the clutches and bands are worn out. The T56 is a heavy duty transmission to begin with, so when properly driven, they can take plenty of abuse. If you happen to be pushing over 500WHP, then all thats required is a rebuilt with heavy duty components to make it completely bulletproof. T56 Rebuilds specializes in that, and you get get one done for under 2K, which is a pretty good deal IMO.

Personally I would never buy any sports car with an automatic, expecially not an F-Body. Just takes all the fun out of driving for me. Instead of me driving the car around, the car is driving me around. I don't like not having complete control over clutch engagement and gear selction. Not to mention that manuals put more power to the ground, get better fuel economy, and are faster than anything short of a fully built up/stalled auto.
    mostly very well said & i agree with 90%

however camaro's arent sports - they're actually classified as "sub-compacts" ... gotta love 3 doors

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Buy a Camaro with each tranny and problem solved

I think everyone has covered it pretty well though. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. It just comes down to personal preference.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

The dyno's have shown that the auto's in these cars put down the same rwhp as the m6's, I've always been a stick guy (+ still am) but in these cars the auto is really under rated, a converter + shift kit + they are a blast to drive, I have one of each + my fav is the vertered auto, especialy for everyday driving.

There were also 2 diff gear sets you could get in the auto, you automatically got the 273's, in the z/28 unless the perf. axle pkg. was ordered then you got 323's which are better for acceleration, the 273's better for gas mileage presumably.
    I would try to get one with the perf axle pkg.if poss but if you find what you want,I wouldn't pass on it because of that.
    The perf axle pkg. is code gu5 on the driver side door tag,a paper tag with a series of #'s on it.
    I think (but am not positive that the ss auto, automatically came with th 323's).
    The auto's can also be had cheaper but are also a litte harder to sell when the time comes, but if you can get a perspective buyer in it,they will probably buy it. the guy who just bought mine couldn't believe how snappy it is, and the kind of rubber it puts down so easily.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanater View Post
    HEY NOW!

I have heard the m6's are faster in the 1/4mile. Unless your running like 10's.
    you heard wrong
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

blk
    ?

im lokking into building up my 4l60e, but i thought mine was 4l80e..but i dont know......my tranny only goes thru 1st and 2nd and it fells like im spinning the tires hella bad...but i dont think i am....its slipping under wot hella bad..what should be done with the rebuild besides a stall and tranny cooler...how much would i be spending to make my a4 bad ass

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by stunna-shades View Post
    im lokking into building up my 4l60e, but i thought mine was 4l80e..but i dont know......my tranny only goes thru 1st and 2nd and it fells like im spinning the tires hella bad...but i dont think i am....its slipping under wot hella bad..what should be done with the rebuild besides a stall and tranny cooler...how much would i be spending to make my a4 bad ass
    Just buy one from FLP (finish line performance) and send them your old one as a core (saves $600)

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by stunna-shades View Post
    contact yank and grab one of their build 4l60e's & sick converter (3200-4000) with a high STR

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanater View Post
    HEY NOW!

I have heard the m6's are faster in the 1/4mile. Unless your running like 10's.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    you heard wrong

completley stock LS1 M6 vs stock LS1 A4

this is true...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mystic-z View Post
    The dyno's have shown that the auto's in these cars put down the same rwhp as the m6's, I've always been a stick guy (+ still am) but in these cars the auto is really under rated, a converter + shift kit + they are a blast to drive, I have one of each + my fav is the vertered auto, especialy for everyday driving.
    That is not true. An auto LS1 will put down significantly less power than an M6 LS1, approximately 5%. So where an M6 LS1 puts down 290-300WHP stock, an auto will put down more like 270-280WHP. Definitely not the same by any means.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    you heard wrong
    A properly driven stock M6 F-Body will always be faster than a stock A4 F-Body. The M6 puts down more power to the wheels, has better (and closer) gear ratios, a higher rear end ratio, can launch harder, and weighs less. How do you figure the auto would be just as fast or faster?? It isn't in stock form.

Obviously once you start modding, it could go in either direction though.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

(but am not positive that the ss auto, automatically came with th 323's).
    i think u could get the SS package with 2.73's. the current a4 SS i am looking at has the 2.73's. so either u can get the 2.73's in the auto SS or its an SS clone. i checked the vehicle build on GM VIS and it was built with the SS package. i think im gonna get it anyways, because its a 2000 A4 navy blue T-top camaro with 55k miles for $8700. lowered, SLP Lid, SLP loudmouth exhaust and hypertech. really good deal, but it had water damage 5 years ago. it was all fixed tho.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

water damage eh? where's it from?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I remember reading somewhere that the SS's came with rans coolers. do I remember falsely?

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

car is originally from texas, but is in MN. i'd have to get a carfax to see the repairs. the owner didnt bring it to a dealer so i cant see the history.
    stored in winters

just looked at the info i got on the car....it was a flood car, and thats all it says. the car isnt a true SS. z28

im a little weary now. i think i'll keep looking.
    Last edited by z28punk; 02-15-2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: new information discovered

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

It's all personal preference. My personal preference is the 6-speed. I've driven automatic cars all of my life....my Corvette is even an automatic. Just as the other guys have said, the automatic will produce very consistent times at the track and are nice in traffic. I prefer the 6-speed because of the control I have of the gears and (in my humble opinion) I think a manual car sounds much better (especially when you have an aftermarket exhaust and/or headers). I live in Atlanta and the traffic is ridiculous. The first couple days in traffic with my 6-speed SS was a bit frustrating, however as you get used to driving a M6, it really isn't a big deal at all.

One thing that is exciting to see, is the new automatic transmissions that are showing up in today's high performance cars. The Corvette offers a six-speed automatic transmission that will give you a good bit of control of the gears if you use the paddle shifters. That provides the benefits of an automatic, yet offers some of the control, gear ratio and sound benefits that we receive from a M6.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    i think u could get the SS package with 2.73's. the current a4 SS i am looking at has the 2.73's. so either u can get the 2.73's in the auto SS or its an SS clone. i checked the vehicle build on GM VIS and it was built with the SS package. i think im gonna get it anyways, because its a 2000 A4 navy blue T-top camaro with 55k miles for $8700. lowered, SLP Lid, SLP loudmouth exhaust and hypertech. really good deal, but it had water damage 5 years ago. it was all fixed tho.
    The SS and WS6's either had 3:23s(auto trannies) or 3:42s(manual trannies from the factory). There was not a 2:73 option for the SS/WS6 package. It is possible that the rearend of the specific car you are talking about was blown and replaced with a Z28 rearend that had 2:73s or aftermarket 2:73s were put in. Regardless of the gear talk though, I would get the car too

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My 2002 Z28 with 2.73 open diff stone stock (no mods) put down 306rwhp and 320rwt. It's only gotten stronger the more mods I throw at it.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The SS and WS6's either had 3:23s(auto trannies) or 3:42s(manual trannies from the factory). There was not a 2:73 option for the SS/WS6 package. It is possible that the rearend of the specific car you are talking about was blown and replaced with a Z28 rearend that had 2:73s or aftermarket 2:73s were put in. Regardless of the gear talk though, I would get the car too
    3.42s in the manuals must be why it gets to 150 mph quicker
    So, that means the auto. must have a higher top speed?
    Last edited by jigger1166; 02-15-2007 at 03:46 PM.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    A properly driven stock M6 F-Body will always be faster than a stock A4 F-Body. The M6 puts down more power to the wheels, has better (and closer) gear ratios, a higher rear end ratio, can launch harder, and weighs less. How do you figure the auto would be just as fast or faster?? It isn't in stock form.

Obviously once you start modding, it could go in either direction though.
    How much more power?
    How does it launch harder?
    How much less does it weigh?
    Have you lined up both ( side by side race) to see which is faster?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information