Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    My advice would be to find a cheap beater. I'm currently looking for something else at the moment. I love driving mine, but some days i wish i had something more comfortable.
    I agree, I always kept a beater around when I lived in Ohio to deal with the inclement weather and salty roads. Didn't care if it got dented or run into. I kept the drivetrain fresh and dependable but the outside looked like hell to the point my wife hated riding in it

Don't have one currently but there have been times I wish I did. Been kind of looking for an old beat up pickup truck. It's nice to drive something aroung that you don't have to care about.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post

Mike, just fix the bird and enjoy it. You came too far with it to just let it go. And if others bitch about the car, they really need to take a step back and ask themself if they even had the RIGHT to bitch. But that's just me.
    rich, i really have done a lot to it for it to be possibly slower than stock lol...but she runs great...transmission shifts nicely. and i often pat myself on the back when i think about how I did ALL the work myself...No one else had their hands on my car. Im the one who lifted the car with a cherry picker to the point where the nose was almost touching the roof of the garage and risked my life climbing under it to free up all the tangled wires during removal. i drug the engine and tranny out from under it with my hands only. and i put it all back together the same way and made it fire right up after i was done. After thinking about that, i am inclined to tell anyone who says sell it to STFU!

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    rich, i really have done a lot to it for it to be possibly slower than stock lol...but she runs great...transmission shifts nicely. and i often pat myself on the back when i think about how I did ALL the work myself...No one else had their hands on my car. Im the one who lifted the car with a cherry picker to the point where the nose was almost touching the roof of the garage and risked my life climbing under it to free up all the tangled wires during removal. i drug the engine and tranny out from under it with my hands only. and i put it all back together the same way and made it fire right up after i was done. After thinking about that, i am inclined to tell anyone who says sell it to STFU!
    Hearing it run again has a certain amount of satisfaction after all the hard work. Take pride in that.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    Ya I went through the same thing swapping my motor on my car. I did a lot of things that werent needed, complete ls6 engine swap, M6 swap etc and do I have more in the car than its worth? Hell ya most of us do lol do I care? No not really lol its a fun car and a good hobby like golf is to some people ahah. And at the end of the day when friends or other people ask wow who did the m6 and engine swap thats a lot of work.... theres no better feeling than looking at them and telling them I did it myself. So fix your car and enjoy driving it

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Unless you plan to keep it I just don't see the cost benefit over new/newer with a warranty.

Doing it yourself is nice but I consider my time to have value..

I don't always have a lot of it to piss around with cars I need to run right now.

Nothing wrong with fixing your own stuff.

I have worked on cars, trucks, and actual rigs (Mack etc.) all my life..

Sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about it sometimes.

As far as cars being an investment..

Cars are one of the worst "investments" you could ever make.

What a car is worth to YOU is NOT what it's worth to someone else.

Don't let Berret Jackson go to your head.

FBJ, you don't need to explain anything to me, @ nearly 40 yrs old I been around some..lol

I am currently building a 20 year old car with ZERO after market so I also know what it is to keep and restore the old stuff too.XD

I tooled up and built an entire shop just for that project..

All in all it's more proper to say,, "what's it worth to you?" as in the end that is what it all comes down too.

Like I said if it's something that is going to drive a wedge in my marriage,, it's gone..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-04-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

OP, you have to nickle and dime your way on the car to whip it back into shape. Sounds like you neglected things over the years, and now the woman thinks you spend more on the car then on her. I say take her out on a date, then spend something on the interior. Keeps 'em both satisfied.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    OP, you have to nickle and dime your way on the car to whip it back into shape. Sounds like you neglected things over the years, and now the woman thinks you spend more on the car then on her. I say take her out on a date, then spend something on the interior. Keeps 'em both satisfied.
    actually, i havent neglected anything over the years. ive only had the car since december 2010, and it sat on jacks from april 2011-april 2012 awaiting an engine that i had to just buy and tell her about it after cause i was tired of waiting. sure, i heard a week of bitching about it, but its done.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Unless you plan to keep it I just don't see the cost benefit over new/newer with a warranty.

Doing it yourself is nice but I consider my time to have value..

I don't always have a lot of it to piss around with cars I need to run right now.

Nothing wrong with fixing your own stuff.

I have worked on cars, trucks, and actual rigs (Mack etc.) all my life..

Sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about it sometimes.

As far as cars being an investment..

Cars are one of the worst "investments" you could ever make.

What a car is worth to YOU is NOT what it's worth to someone else.

Don't let Berret Jackson go to your head.

FBJ, you don't need to explain anything to me, @ nearly 40 yrs old I been around some..lol

I am currently building a 20 year old car with ZERO after market so I also know what it is to keep and restore the old stuff too.XD

I tooled up and built an entire shop just for that project..

All in all it's more proper to say,, "what's it worth to you?" as in the end that is what it all comes down too.

Like I said if it's something that is going to drive a wedge in my marriage,, it's gone..
    That's just it,,,if you plan to keep a car rather than buy new every 5 years,,,,then that's what we are talking about. Practicality.

It's not me that says what these cars are worth, and BJ isn't the only auction that is setting the field. I have appraisals here that tell the story. Even in this shitty economy these cars are doing better than my 401K, and I know I can take them down to BJ and sell them at any point, make my money, and find something else to invest in.

It takes an understanding wife that's for sure, and mine is on board as far as keeping older cars running rather than buying new. She's seen the prices of new cars and what they've done, and how classics have appreciated since the 80's. But that's an entirely different subject.

Thread Information