Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 02pewterws6 View Post
    The mustang was a stick which I can understand that a little bit, but the Camaro's were autos. I know they have a little less power, but I was still surprised.
    They have more power than you, not less. Alot heavier tho.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^I think he was referring to the fact that the new AT Camaros have less power than the MT new Camaros.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^I think he was referring to the fact that the new AT Camaros have less power than the MT new Camaros.
    I don't think so.

black
    2001 Trans Am

I wasn't going to explicitly say it, but it was at Thunder Valley.
    Ok, stupid question, I see that you're from OK, but when you say Thunder Valley, I think Bristol, TN. Was you at Thunder Valley in Bristol? or is there a track in OK called Thunder Valley? One of my friends has an '01 WS6 T/A and he has run in the 13's also at Bristol. We raced each other this past Thursday, and we were pretty much equal, but that night we wasn't in the 13's But, oh well, we both had fun

2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dragonchick View Post
    Ok, stupid question, I see that you're from OK, but when you say Thunder Valley, I think Bristol, TN. Was you at Thunder Valley in Bristol? or is there a track in OK called Thunder Valley? One of my friends has an '01 WS6 T/A and he has run in the 13's also at Bristol. We raced each other this past Thursday, and we were pretty much equal, but that night we wasn't in the 13's But, oh well, we both had fun
    Yes I'm in OK, there is a track here called Thunder Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I don't think so.
    I was referring to the power difference between the manual and automatic. I still don't know why there is a difference though. Does it have anything to do with the auto having Active Fuel Management?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Manual transmissions do not have the parasitic power consumption that an automatic has due to the hydraulic pump. Manual transmissions are more efficient.

It has more to do with the engine package than anything else.

The autos have less aggressive cam timing and cylinder deactivation to allow the cars to reach required EPA standards.
    Once tuned however, It's a different story.

The 6 speeds meet the fuel standards a little easier due to more overdrive, so the engines didn't need cylinder deactivation and got a more aggressive camshaft to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Manual transmissions do not have the parasitic power consumption that an automatic has due to the hydraulic pump. Manual transmissions are more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It has more to do with the engine package than anything else.

The autos have less aggressive cam timing and cylinder deactivation to allow the cars to reach required EPA standards.
    Once tuned however, It's a different story.

The 6 speeds meet the fuel standards a little easier due to more overdrive, so the engines didn't need cylinder deactivation and got a more aggressive camshaft to boot.
    That's very interesting and definitely makes sense now. I had just never seen that information in the general places that I look. Thank you guys for clearing that up. I don't normally race on the street, but I was getting a little cocky the way those auto's performed. Hopefully I don't run into a tuned one that appears to be stock.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's very interesting and definitely makes sense now. I had just never seen that information in the general places that I look. Thank you guys for clearing that up. I don't normally race on the street, but I was getting a little cocky the way those auto's performed. Hopefully I don't run into a tuned one that appears to be stock.
    Or one with a stall

215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar

White
    2000 trans am

Not bad good shit

This post should now be titled "My Second Time at the Track in the WS6.

Just an update as I took my car to the track last night and improved. I have added an SLP PowerFlo catback since my last outing. I ran no slower than a 13.47 which was my fastest last time. I was consistently right around 13.3.

My best time was a 13.248 at 105.64 with a 2.089 60ft. I have confirmed that I do have an issue in 3rd because my power really dies after 2nd. I was racing next to a LS1 Z28 (I think I'm not positive), and I had him by a little more than a car past half track. As soon as I shifted into 3rd he came out of no where and I only beat him by a fender. He trapped 106.5 or so. Makes me want to buy a new tranny or have it rebuilt so bad.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I just picked up a Level II PerformaBuilt for our car this week. Eager to get it installed and see what the difference is over stock.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

This post should now be titled "My Second Time at the Track in the WS6.

Just an update as I took my car to the track last night and improved. I have added an SLP PowerFlo catback since my last outing. I ran no slower than a 13.47 which was my fastest last time. I was consistently right around 13.3.

My best time was a 13.248 at 105.64 with a 2.089 60ft. I have confirmed that I do have an issue in 3rd because my power really dies after 2nd. I was racing next to a LS1 Z28 (I think I'm not positive), and I had him by a little more than a car past half track. As soon as I shifted into 3rd he came out of no where and I only beat him by a fender. He trapped 106.5 or so. Makes me want to buy a new tranny or have it rebuilt so bad.
    Lag from 2nd to 3rd is a common problem with the auto's. You need to get a tune to firm up those shifts.

Pewter & Mystic Teal!
    2002 CAMARO SS & 1999 TA

cool man i seen the car last night didnt know you was on the site or i would of came over and talked to ya...anyways i took my girlfriends 99 TA out last night and went a 13.4 @ 104

bone stock 2002 m6 12.9 @ 108 woooohoooo!!!!!!
    bone stock 1999 m6 TA 13.4 @ 104 2.1 60' Still has a little more in her!

Pewter & Mystic Teal!
    2002 CAMARO SS & 1999 TA

but with a stall, LT, and sticky tires you would love it...also maybe some gears!

Quote Originally Posted by SSIZZLN View Post
    cool man i seen the car last night didnt know you was on the site or i would of came over and talked to ya...anyways i took my girlfriends 99 TA out last night and went a 13.4 @ 104
    Yeah I remember that car from last night. I was parked right next to you at one point. It was fun not having all of the big dragsters out there and just the street cars. I didn't have to clean as much rubber off of the car today.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I just picked up a Level II PerformaBuilt for our car this week. Eager to get it installed and see what the difference is over stock.
    How does that compare to something like a 700r4?

700R4 is the same thing, It's just controlled with a TV cable. It was renamed a 4L60E when they went electronic around 92.

Generally it's the 1-2 shift that is a huge rpm drop (3.06-1.62) The 2-3 shift isn't that bad (1.62-1.00) and shouldn't have hurt anything on the big end.
    As a matter of fact, your trap speed doesn't really indicate any issues, thats about right for the 60 foot time you ran.

A stall converter alone will easily drop you into the 12's.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    700R4 is the same thing, It's just controlled with a TV cable. It was renamed a 4L60E when they went electronic around 92.

Generally it's the 1-2 shift that is a huge rpm drop (3.06-1.62) The 2-3 shift isn't that bad (1.62-1.00) and shouldn't have hurt anything on the big end.
    As a matter of fact, your trap speed doesn't really indicate any issues, thats about right for the 60 foot time you ran.

A stall converter alone will easily drop you into the 12's.
    That's very interesting to know that they are the same.

The main reason I think it is hindering my top end is because of what my buddy felt. As a side note, I have always had a vibration in 3rd gear when driving on the street at certain mph's. I also have it at 70 mph in 4th. So last night I let him take a couple passes b/c he thought he could one up me. He does have a lot more track time than me (I would guess around 100 more passes than me since he has had several cars). He was very impressed with my first and second gears, and thought that they pulled as hard or harder than his 2009 G8 GXP. But when he went to third he said it just lost power in a hurry. I kind of noticed it, but haven't made enough passes in general to think anything of it.

Maybe it is normal though as you and others have stated. I just thought it was pretty plausible to be an issue since I do have that vibration and all.

If you have a chatter or vibration you could have an issue somewhere. Hard to say.

I just didn't see anything unusual out of the passes you posted. Your MPH coincides with your ET and your 60 foot times. 13.24 at 105.64 with a 2.08 60 foot is about right on the money.
    Healthy MPH for an auto with just a catback exhaust. Even if the DA was average.
    Considering you mentioned another LS1 was a car back, and by the end of the track pulled up to your fender sounds about right since he trapped over 106 mph. You simply won with a better 60 foot time.

If it makes ya feel any better, my 02 SS vert bone stock only ran 13.70 at 102 mph. After a mild tune and long tube headers it went 13.20's at 106 mph. A stall got me in the 12's on stock rubber with no other changes.

You have yourself a 12 second car easily, put a stall in it and you are there. A good tune will also go a long way. I'll bet you'll find another couple mph in the car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information