View Poll Results: LS6 intake or Cam?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • LS6 intake

14 60.87%
  • cam

9 39.13%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not to burst anyones bubble, but when I did an LS6 intake swap on my wifes car, I had to touch up the tune.
    I left the closed loop stuff alone as it was fine, but WOT on the wideband went pretty lean into the 13.2 range after the swap. I had to fatten that up a bit.

Afterwards it wasn't really worth all that much on her car, about 1 mph is all I got out of it, even after touching up the tune. With her car having a small cam I would have thought I'd see more of a difference. So I wasn't all that impressed with the intake swap

So my vote is for a camshaft swap. If he has the converter and gears in the car already, it's a prime candidate for a camshaft now. Go ahead and tune it and enjoy.

blue and white
    99 transam 30th vert

cam or ls6 intake

Alright guys, great debate going here. Let me recap what I have heard here. Ok, ls6 intake, it does or does not need a tune after install? I am hearing two opposing viewpoints on this. The cam should I choose this would be done with a cam kit, springs etc, nothing half assed on my car. Now, I have to pay folks to do this as I work a ton and have never worked on newer cars, I do the work on my 66 2+2 but not my T/A. So I am being quoted 2500.00 by a local shop to do the cam kit/ springs and a dyno tune. It seems pretty expensive but after calling around it is about the going rate. I figured I may be able to have the guy do the fast intake with this deal for another 1500. So I am looking at 4000.00 for both if he would make that deal. Who knows about that.Would that be a fair price with cam kit, springs, fast intake and tune? Its alot of money but if you have no time and aren't sure about the how to deal it is what it is. I would expect to yield 50 horse out of both. Is that being reasonable? Thanks you all for all the info

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

If he is doing all that, if you supply the intake it shouldn't be any more for the labor. I would expect him to have to take the original intake off in the first place.
    With a decent cam and a fast intake you can easily expect more than 50 hp. With a nice cam the intake alone is 20 hp minimum.

As far as a tune changing to an LS6 intake, it's not absolutely necessary, I'm just picky.
    I shoot for about a 12.8 AFR on the street cars I tune. They see various loads, heat and humidity, and I'd rather be safe than sorry and give up a few ponies for longevity. Plugs are cheaper than pistons. It went a bit lean so I fattened it up a tad. Plus you can be a little more aggressive with timing.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

If you stalk Ebay and craigslist you can find an LS6 on the cheap. I bought one for 100$ cause the guy didnt know what he had. I vote wait a little and do everything at the same time. Doing the intake when you do the cam if you are not installing it yourself is essentially getting free labor from whatever shop you are going with. Shit, save up for heads while you are at it and get it all done at once if you can swing it.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    If he is doing all that, if you supply the intake it shouldn't be any more for the labor. I would expect him to have to take the original intake off in the first place.
    With a decent cam and a fast intake you can easily expect more than 50 hp. With a nice cam the intake alone is 20 hp minimum.
    I don't think the intake needs to come off for a cam. I think even the right up here doesn't show the removal of the intake. But it certainly can't hurt to ask if your bringing your business to him.

blue and white
    99 transam 30th vert

Cam or ls6 intake

Thanks to all for your input. I have decided to do both. I talked to the shop and he has a used ls6 intake he will sell me for 150.00 bucks, we will do the cam, springs and a larger throttle body with the ls6 intake and update the tune. He said he calls comp cams and gives them all the upgrades and all pertinent info on the car and they grind or recommend the cam. Shop owner says I should net 50-70 horsepower with both intake,cam and larger throttle body. I will post after the work is completed, it will run me 3100.00 total.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by allpontiac View Post
    Thanks to all for your input. I have decided to do both. I talked to the shop and he has a used ls6 intake he will sell me for 150.00 bucks, we will do the cam, springs and a larger throttle body with the ls6 intake and update the tune. He said he calls comp cams and gives them all the upgrades and all pertinent info on the car and they grind or recommend the cam. Shop owner says I should net 50-70 horsepower with both intake,cam and larger throttle body. I will post after the work is completed, it will run me 3100.00 total.
    Parts and everything? That's pretty fair. About what i paid for mine.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

congrats my man.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Glad to see you reached the best possible outcome

2003 TA WS6

Looks like this site solved his problem. It was a long journey!

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Sweet. Post results when you have them!

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

Wish I had 3k to spend...

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

This quote also includes at least a ported LS6 oil pump, correct??? You don't have to do the oil pump, but it is a nice security measure.

You know, if you can afford that, then you may possibly be in the position to save money for a little longer and purchase a descent set of assembled heads...they range from Darts (around $1300) to Trickflows (around $2400) and do it all up at the same time. And that is with Springs (dual valve springs), titanium retainers, valves, and seats allready installed so all you would have to buy for the cam swap is pushrods and lifters (not a must).

Endless possibilities to explore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information