Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smog Cam

black
    1999 camaro SS

also, my smog guy told me that any tuning to your PCM will automaticaly fail the smog test. I don't know how they can tell so I don't know if you can be caught using a tune but aparently that's the law....

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Only if it throws a code, there are plenty of f-body's and corvettes w/ cams, s/c who pass every two years when the time comes. Now the dealership can tell if you have had a tune and then put it back to stock for say warranty issues

I guess our pcms and especially the new ones have a code that when tampered w/ by someone else lose that code at least that is what my gm teacher told me.

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    for a short time I was interested in the cheaTR cam so I called TR and told them straight up that I'm seriousley interested in this cam but only if it's 100% going to pass smog. the tech told me that he had someone buy the cam who lived in Cali and he's passed smog twice with it now.
    Interesting. Thanks for that. I've always been interested in doing a sleeper cam in my 02. Not sure if I will, but the thought of a smooth idle to go along with the stock outward appearance yet running quick sure is appealing.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for that. I've always been interested in doing a sleeper cam in my 02. Not sure if I will, but the thought of a smooth idle to go along with the stock outward appearance yet running quick sure is appealing.
    You can get a cheatr cam w/ a 112 lsa not all of them have a 115lsa or higher

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You can get a cheatr cam w/ a 112 lsa not all of them have a 115lsa or higher
    they also have a cheatr H/C package too that could pass smog, sounds stock and claims to make pretty good power

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    they also have a cheatr H/C package too that could pass smog, sounds stock and claims to make pretty good power
    Link?

black
    1999 camaro SS

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

I really would like it to sound like it is cammed I just don't want to fail smog. Is it hard to install a cam in an LS1? I hear you have to drop the engine and all that...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Very nice I would ask them to clear up that 394 claim when the graph says 384.
    That's good to see some dyno#'s in the 400's w/ a smog legal setup especially since the afr's are more than likely as cast.

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by seamurda View Post
    I really would like it to sound like it is cammed I just don't want to fail smog. Is it hard to install a cam in an LS1? I hear you have to drop the engine and all that...
    LS1howto.com

Quote Originally Posted by seamurda View Post
    I really would like it to sound like it is cammed I just don't want to fail smog.
    And that's the problem. To get that sound you need overlap in the camshaft. To get that you tighten the lobe seperation. Unfortunately tighter lobe seperation and sniffer machines don't like each other.

You might get away with a little bit, but it's a fine line.

Like I mentioned, the camshaft in my wifes car is on a 112 lobe sep but the duration numbers are very tame. It passed the sniffer, but only has an ever so slight lope, and probably not enough for people looking for that sound.

When I bought the car idle was set at 600 rpms and it was more noticable. I raised that to 800-850 rpms to smooth it out a tad. It's still there but you would really have to listen for it. It's still enough to shake the shifter in your hand a bit.
    Since it's a driver for my wife I didn't want all that lopey stuff. It's now tame enough that it doesn't even bother her, and she would be the first to tell ya she doesn't really notice it.

If you take this same cam I'm running and simpy raise the duration a tad to say,,,,224, it would be pretty much the same 224 cam that seems to be popular with alot of people on the board here. It would also help to create a little more sound for you, but tougher to pass smog.

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Very nice I would ask them to clear up that 394 claim when the graph says 384.
    That's good to see some dyno#'s in the 400's w/ a smog legal setup especially since the afr's are more than likely as cast.
    There seems to be 2 tests on there. One with an LS6 manifold, and the other with a FAST manifold along with an 85mm MAF and 36 lbs. per hour injectors.

Maybe that's the descrepancy???

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    There seems to be 2 tests on there. One with an LS6 manifold, and the other with a FAST manifold along with an 85mm MAF and 36 lbs. per hour injectors.

Maybe that's the descrepancy???
    Yah but the ls-6 test says 384 and the fast says 411. No big deal

red
    2000TA

some body should do emissions sticky,cams,exhaust,tuning to pass.

Black
    F250

That setup looks AWSOME!

black
    1999 camaro SS

the only way to beat emissions is save all your stock junk and put it back on every 2 years. I don't know about other places in Cali but around where I live people have loud a$$ cars everywhere I go wether it be no mufflers or speakers in the grille of the car or 12 inch speakers blasting in the trunk. what all those things have in common is they're all used illegaly because they're all too loud but so many people do it that it's normal.

that being said the only thing I'm worried about is passing smog every 2 years because i'm pretty confident that police are not going to pull me over for my car being "too loud" and sending me to the ref. also it will give you a chance to look around inside every couple of years to make sure everything is looking good as well as give you an excuse to use fresh gaskets and hardware.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Just don't act stupid and they never bother you, duals w/ headers and no problems yet

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

AFR 205 and one of the Edelbrock heads have a CARB EO# so they are smog legal in Calif. and cams are not. So buy a cam with little overlap (stock sounding idle) and you should be good to go.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

camshaft max overlap is -4(smog) I am almost 100% positive
    http://www.wallaceracing.com/overlap-calc.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information