Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Yeah, the late model v6, was in tacomas before the new body style. Also in Camrys and vans
    basically the v6's with the timing belts. Toyota is phasing the timing belt out of nearly all their motors.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I hate their propaganda bullshit. "Legendary Toyota Reliability" is their latest slogan. People I know that own them have just as many problems as other. And their product line is boring enough to make me want to shoot myself at a dealership. Plus they added gay altezza tails to the tacoma's

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    basically the v6's with the timing belts. Toyota is phasing the timing belt out of nearly all their motors.
    Never understood why they used a timing belt. Sludge had something to do with restricting coolant flow to the head which would heat up the oil bad from what i've heard

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Never understood why they used a timing belt. Sludge had something to do with restricting coolant flow to the head which would heat up the oil bad from what i've heard
    why would any manufacturer use a timing belt? Cost I guess.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

why would any manufacturer use a timing belt? Cost I guess.
    Cost and engine noise. Like GM did in the 80s with with the nylon coated cam gear teeth

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

One thing I've noticed in my career working on cars is that a lot of the "problems" that get blamed on cars are not necessarily actual problems at all but people wanting the car reengineered to their specifications or the way other cars operate or the way their other car operates etc. The noises they think they hear, the things they have in their mind as not being normal etc add up to such a waste of time its not even funny. Until the car is out of warranty. Then nothing is wrong. The brakes could be metal on metal and thats fine though. Just do the oil change

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Cost and engine noise. Like GM did in the 80s with with the nylon coated cam gear teeth
    They did it in the 60's and 70's too woot. Including my stock engine.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

One thing I've noticed in my career working on cars is that a lot of the "problems" that get blamed on cars are not necessarily actual problems at all but people wanting the car reengineered to their specifications or the way other cars operate or the way their other car operates etc. The noises they think they hear, the things they have in their mind as not being normal etc add up to such a waste of time its not even funny. Until the car is out of warranty. Then nothing is wrong. The brakes could be metal on metal and thats fine though. Just do the oil change
    Like how the cvt on our Rogues sound like they're about to frag but nissan says it's normal. Atleast they have a tuning patch out for the stupid fuckers. The trans never knows what to do and jerks like crazy

Gray/ White

Funny cause its true

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Like how the cvt on our Rogues sound like they're about to frag but nissan says it's normal. Atleast they have a tuning patch out for the stupid fuckers. The trans never knows what to do and jerks like crazy
    nissan is still fucking around with CVT's? Nearly every car line has abandoned them. Toyota has it in the prius I believe, but the trans operates fine. Nissan CVT's always motorboated. I hate CVT transes.

Gray/ White

nissan is still fucking around with CVT's? Nearly every car line has abandoned them. Toyota has it in the prius I believe, but the trans operates fine. Nissan CVT's always motorboated. I hate CVT transes.
    I think the RWDs are the only ones that don't have one in options line
    I also believe its a reason my brother went to work on Scooby doos

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Remember when Nissan used to make good cars? lmao what happened? I think the GTR is the only car they make thats any good, and you cant use the most fun feature of the car without ruining a 20k transmission lmao

Gray/ White

Remember when Nissan used to make good cars? lmao what happened? I think the GTR is the only car they make thats any good, and you cant use the most fun feature of the car without ruining a 20k transmission lmao
    You mean the fun feature no longer on them?

Impounded
    gmcheviac

This thing feels so frail. Wonder what the occasional stall up and wheel hop does to it, not that i've ever done that Yeah, when the trans is doing what it's supposed to, it's great. Accelerates quickly at really low rpm's around town so the mileage is good. I don't really miss shifts, though I like my th350 way better than a modern auto with lockup. Not enough gear for mileage on flat land above 65 nor the balls for wind, slight hills, or passengers with the cvt. Mileage drops like a rock with any of these factors. It slows way down on cruise before raising rpms. And the noise I was talking about is this terrible metallic rattle/grind. But the tuning patch is for when it occasionally decides to give you a butt load of gear reduction and launch hard with barely any throttle. It also "gears up" at inappropriate times, like onramps and takes forever to gear back down you could say

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    You mean the fun feature no longer on them?
    they got rid of it? yeah that lol Dont get me wrong, the car is still one hell of a performance machine without it. But lets review....

Maxima- used to be a very nice car till 04 and they started making them here. Turned into a pos.
    Altima- was a quality car till the 02 model and the qr25de came out. The quality I suppose has gotten better. But I dont care what anyone says, that engine is shit.
    Sentra- pos
    Titan- Pos with a nice engine
    Pathfinder-ugly as fuck
    quest- pos and one of the worst minivans on the market
    Murano- actually good but i rather have a highlander
    370z- nice car but overpriced

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

This thing feels so frail. Wonder what the occasional stall up and wheel hop does to it, not that i've ever done that Yeah, when the trans is doing what it's supposed to, it's great. Accelerates quickly at really low rpm's around town so the mileage is good. I don't really miss shifts, though I like my th350 way better than a modern auto with lockup. Not enough gear for mileage on flat land above 65 nor the balls for wind, slight hills, or passengers with the cvt. Mileage drops like a rock with any of these factors. It slows way down on cruise before raising rpms. And the noise I was talking about is this terrible metallic rattle/grind. But the tuning patch is for when it occasionally decides to give you a butt load of gear reduction and launch hard with barely any throttle. It also "gears up" at inappropriate times, like onramps and takes forever to gear back down you could say
    The best part is that CVTs were supposed to be seamless in operation lol

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Aren't the 2.5's supposed to burn oil and all sorts of bad shit? My mom went 12k (ya rly) on a fill of Mobil 1 and it didn't burn a drop. Of course she got it changed with bulk Pennzoil this time without my consent so i'll have to change it out before she runs 10k on dino without me knowing.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

The best part is that CVTs were supposed to be seamless in operation lol
    Sometimes it feels electric, others it's jerky as fuck. More often than not jerky as fuck. Also, the torque converter never knows when to lock and unlock appropriately which makes the hard launching effect on low throttle worse. They need some real drivetrains over here. The x-trail turbo diesel 6m we rented in scotland was so much quicker feeling because it had torque. And a 6m can even make an x-trail sort of fun

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

The main shortcoming of the 2.5 IMO is that its an ultra long stroke with a small bore and its too extreme a rod angle. They had a problem with exhaust manifold/cat converters breaking up and pieces reverting back up into the head and lost a lot of motors like that. But yeah they also use oil. Its just a lousy design.

Gray/ White

they got rid of it? yeah that lol Dont get me wrong, the car is still one hell of a performance machine without it. But lets review....

Maxima- used to be a very nice car till 04 and they started making them here. Turned into a pos.
    Altima- was a quality car till the 02 model and the qr25de came out. The quality I suppose has gotten better. But I dont care what anyone says, that engine is shit.
    Sentra- pos
    Titan- Pos with a nice engine
    Pathfinder-ugly as fuck
    quest- pos and one of the worst minivans on the market
    Murano- actually good but i rather have a highlander
    370z- nice car but overpriced
    Yeah think just the first year had it. MAximas started going down hill in 02 with the VQ35 debut....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information