Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Impounded
    gmcheviac

No, fouled plugs just means it wouldn't burn all the fuel, so it would make black smoke. Fuel can't make blue smoke

Old Enough to Know Better Crimson Sin's Avatar

Red Fire
    2007 Mustang GT/CS

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I thought blue smoke was fouled plugs. Bad/worn valve seals? A few years ago a coworker of mine had a Formie and it blew blue smoke. He told me that he either needed a tune up or the valve seals were worn.
    Valve seals would cause it to burn oil. Bad tune up would cause runability issues and black smoke (unburned fuel)
    There can be other issues for blue smoke..
    If it only smokes on start up.. Typically bad valve seals.. The oil trickles down the valve stem as is sits and puddles on the piston heads.. Fire it up.. Viola.. blue smoke on initial start.. GM smalll blocks are famous for this issue ( I aint hating.. I have owned lots of GM) Constant smoke that gets more noticeable as you increase throttle or accelerate is probably more along the lines of worn rings/head gasket etc.. First time I had my SS dyno-tuned it DUMPED black smoke at WOT..someone pooched the fuel trim at WOT..I mean like SPY HUNTER amounts of smoke..
    You can tell peeps that don't tune up their cars.. You see this black stain on the rear bumper... rich condition..
    And I am in NO way saying I am the know all of this stuff.. This is just some things I noticed as I do my job..

Red Fire
    2007 Mustang GT/CS

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    ^ +1, that's what I said. Pcv first, then valve seals. If it's rings, that's an oppurtune time for a 6.0 swap
    Right on man. I am with you, PERFECT time for the swap.. Ain't no thing as too much power..

Not that I WOULD know.. I drive a 3v 4.6..

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sin View Post
    Right on man. I am with you, PERFECT time for the swap.. Ain't no thing as too much power..

Not that I WOULD know.. I drive a 3v 4.6..
    3v is nothing to be ashamed of. Mine makes maybe 200 horsepower (modified) when it actually runs. And ask me how I know about bad valve seal syptoms. NGK loves me.... Damn spark plugs are a pricey habit my truck has.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Valve seals would cause it to burn oil. Bad tune up would cause runability issues and black smoke (unburned fuel)
    If it only smokes on start up.. Typically bad valve seals.. The oil trickles down the valve stem as is sits and puddles on the piston heads.. Fire it up.. Viola.. blue smoke on initial start.. GM smalll blocks are famous for this issue ( I aint hating.. I have owned lots of GM) Constant smoke that gets more noticeable as you increase throttle or accelerate is probably more along the lines of worn rings/head gasket etc.. First time I had my SS dyno-tuned it DUMPED black smoke at WOT..someone pooched the fuel trim at WOT..I mean like SPY HUNTER amounts of smoke..
    You can tell peeps that don't tune up their cars.. You see this black stain on the rear bumper... rich condition..
    And I am in NO way saying I am the know all of this stuff.. This is just some things I noticed as I do my job..
    Gotcha. When I had mine tuned, my car left black spots on the shop wall behind the dyno. Everyone was like "WTF" and my tuner told me the car may have sat before it was traded in. And lemme tell ya, I DO NOT MISS THE STENCH OF RICH FUEL.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    If I am correct, he told me 110,000+
    No, it's got 107,xxx

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Uhhhh ohhhhhh. It only blue smoked on initial start up. Then it stopped after about 15 sec. So.... does that mean..... I gotta get new valve seals? How much is this gonna cost? Damn i'm so mad i feel like rolling that thing off of a cliff now. If this is gonna be over 2k im done i'm gonna get a new ride. My dad freaking lied to me.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

valve seals would cause a smoke on intial start up. rings would be all the time. sorry bro

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    No, it's got 107,xxx
    Close enough, off by 3,000 miles, lol

Uhhhh ohhhhhh. It only blue smoked on initial start up. Then it stopped after about 15 sec. So.... does that mean..... I gotta get new valve seals? How much is this gonna cost? Damn i'm so mad i feel like rolling that thing off of a cliff now. If this is gonna be over 2k im done i'm gonna get a new ride. My dad freaking lied to me.
    Hush up pumpkin, it's free. Fix it and drive it to the damn wheels fall off, I would.

Red Fire
    2007 Mustang GT/CS

Don't sweat it... I have seen rigs with bad valve seals running for Thousands and Thousands of miles..
    Drive it til it dies.. Fix it and drive it some more..
    Free ? Shit.. I wouldn't fuss about a free truck over something as trivial as a bit of blue when it starts..
    When you're rolling down the road and it looks like you're crop dusting.. Then worry.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

That sounds like valve seals. They will really make the engine burn oil full time just like rings will. But in way smaller amounts. The reason there is so much smoke on start up is that oil drips down into the cylinders as it sits and builds up. Like I said, replace the pcv first. Then worry about the valve seals. If the pcv doesn't help I would try a round of auto rx. auto-rx.com It's said to help some people with seals. Then maybe some high-mileage oil. If none of that helps and you don't install a 6.0 (do eeeet ) you'll just have to do valve seals. And at that point, you may as well do aftermarket springs for a future cam, then you might at as well stab in a cam. And why do that when you can slap on some ported heads pre-assembled with new springs and seals. Do you see why I have problems with my truck build

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Hush up pumpkin, it's free.
    what in the FUCK did you just say !?!?!

2011 Prius

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Impounded
    gmcheviac

^

Impounded
    gmcheviac

You had better be his grandma or something throwing around words like pumpkin. Except you're an 18 year old dude

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Close enough, off by 3,000 miles, lol

Hush up pumpkin, it's free. Fix it and drive it to the damn wheels fall off, I would.
    Don't call me that again.

2011 Prius

Don't call me that again.
    Wow, people can't take a comment with something funny it,

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I giggled

Impounded
    gmcheviac

That was in no way funny for the context. You just out of the blue call someone pumpkin. WHat the fuck is that
    Transam- night night, keep your butthole tight, this guy's after ya

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information