Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    I wish. In NC the EGR has to be present even if it is eliminated from the computer. Visual inspection requirement. I'm not saying you can't find someone to pass it, but that's how it goes here. You can bolt a non-functioning EGR to a LS6 manifold with no actual inlet provision, tune it out of the program, and technically it passes. That's how I understand it.

And now NC ties in your inspection with your tag renewal. You have to have the inspection done BEFORE you can renew the tag (computerized with DMV). If you don't pass inspection, you have to bust ass to get it corrected before the tag goes out. I just don't want any hassles.
    i'm pretty sure that is only if you have a stock engine... like in my example you can't fab an EGR for that motor... i'd call the people who inspect your car or maybe another inspector and tell them you have to do an engine swap but the new engines don't have EGR equipment due to being more emissions friendly...

I wish. In NC the EGR has to be present even if it is eliminated from the computer. Visual inspection requirement based on the model year of the car. I'm not saying you can't find someone to pass it, but that's how it goes here. You can bolt a non-functioning EGR to a LS6 manifold with no actual inlet provision, tune it out of the program, and technically it passes. That's how I understand it.

And now NC ties in your inspection with your tag renewal. You have to have the inspection done BEFORE you can renew the tag (computerized with DMV). If you don't pass inspection, you have to bust ass to get it corrected before the tag goes out. I just don't want any hassles.
    There are LS6 intake manifolds offered that do have provisions for the EGR so it can be kept intact and working if you need to.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i'm pretty sure that is only if you have a stock engine... like in my example you can't fab an EGR for that motor... i'd call the people who inspect your car or maybe another inspector and tell them you have to do an engine swap but the new engines don't have EGR equipment due to being more emissions friendly...
    From NC DMV, whatever comes with your model year has to be there for the visual inspection (EGR, cats, etc.). I've heard of going to DMV and changing your registration to reflect another engine code on your car, but I have yet to meet anyone who has done it and successfully passed a legitimate inspection. The inspection goes through the OBD II, so tuning out the EGR is fine there, but the visual inspection is a go/no go. I'm sure there are plenty of inspectors who have selective sight, but I don't ever rely on that.

Sounds like you are definately going to need the EGR equipped LS6 intake then.
    Or worse case scenario, you can always stick your LS1 intake on the LS6 crate motor and run with it,,,,then swap at a later time.

If they do a sniffer test you will obviously have to choose the camshaft swap carefully too.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Sounds like you are definately going to need the EGR equipped LS6 intake then.
    Or worse case scenario, you can always stick your LS1 intake on the LS6 crate motor and run with it,,,,then swap at a later time.

If they do a sniffer test you will obviously have to choose the camshaft swap carefully too.
    No sniffer anymore, just OBD II link and visual. A "what if" scenario is to have a LS6 intake (without tapping it for an access), and just bolting the EGR tube to it. Eliminate the EGR from the program, and you will pass. Not very clean under the hood, but it would pass.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

No sniffer anymore, just OBD II link and visual. A "what if" scenario is to have a LS6 intake (without tapping it for an access), and just bolting the EGR tube to it. Eliminate the EGR from the program, and you will pass. Not very clean under the hood, but it would pass.
    yup sounds good .........do a little modding to the EGR flange on the egr itself to allow it to fit in the ls6's intake neck area ...........you know what i am talking about right

Thread Information