Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

what do you guys normally use to lift the car to pull the motor and trans? i was thinking about using one of those chain pulley engine hoists and hang it from my car port roof, its all metal framing so it should be strong enough to hold the car, the only issue is its only about 7.5' tall, so after putting the hoist on and everything i'll probably only have it about 6' off the ground, will that be high enough to lift the car up?

if not anyone else have any other ideas?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Some folks will tell you to pull from the top and others will tell you to drop the motor from the bottom.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

I plan on taking it out the bottom.. My only issue is i need some ideas on how to lift the car high enough.. The the lowest point on the over hang i have it under right now is about 7.5ft. I don't have any kind of engine hoist or anything like that yet but i will get one depending on what would be the easiest to use.

So how do you guys without a lift go about lifting the car high enough to pull it out of the bottom?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I've seen several pic of people using a engine hoist to lift the front of the car up
    Click for full size

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

i just found some pictures of someone using a regular cherry picker to lift it up. Would a 2 ton cherry picker be strong enough to lift it?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yes, 2 tons is 4000 pounds. the whole car only weighs 3400ish pounds and you're only lifting the front...without the motor/trans bolted in.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

good point... thanks for the input!!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I've seen several pic of people using a engine hoist to lift the front of the car up
    Click for full size
    At first, I thought the entire passenger side front fender was scraped to scheisse. But it's plastic wrap.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

this may seem crazy but would something like this 2 ton chain hoist be ok to lift the car with to pull the motor out of the bottom? It will be hung from my carport in the back yard which has an all steel tubing frame. Just looking for different options on what to use to lift the car.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-chain-hoist-631.html

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Tx98Formula View Post
    this may seem crazy but would something like this 2 ton chain hoist be ok to lift the car with to pull the motor out of the bottom? It will be hung from my carport in the back yard which has an all steel tubing frame. Just looking for different options on what to use to lift the car.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-chain-hoist-631.html
    Yeah that will work. But I'm not sure the carport idea is safe.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Click for full size
    I did it that way myself on a friends 97 Firebird. With 2 people it will not take long. Plus once out you can really clean up the engine bay.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

the car port is all steel tube framing. The steel tubing is about 3" diameter with 1/4" thick walls, each pole is concreted into the ground about 4 ft.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

i was planning on using middle section and double wrapping a 3ton capable strap around the support beam to attach the hoist to since the hook on the hoist isn't big enough to fit around the poles... let me know what you think

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Tx98Formula View Post
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

i was planning on using middle section and double wrapping a 3ton capable strap around the support beam to attach the hoist to since the hook on the hoist isn't big enough to fit around the poles... let me know what you think
    Looks a little scarey to me imho..

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

i just found a buddy that is going to bring over a 2 ton cherry picker instead... so no worries this won't be happening now

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah I think it will be safer with the picker. I mean the problem I see with the porch is that you don't have no lateral supports. so if the weight shifts the pole can bend and then the motor may end up in a bad place.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

yeah it seemed like a good idea at the time, haha.. but since i have to wait till this weekend to actually pull the motor i went ahead and started disconnecting everything, all i have left is bleeding the brakes, disconnecting the trans lines, drive shaft, then unbolt the k-member, strurts and x-member... i'll get it down to only unbolting the last couple things by this weekend so it won't take to long once i get the picker here..

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Damn...that Formy's nice.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Damn...that Formy's nice.
    Thank you!

once i get this motor out i'll be able to spend the time to make it look a little better, under the hood at least. The body still has it's flaws, mainly on the passenger side front fender and the front bumper. not bad for $4k though

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

So tell me what you guys think about this... The car is obviously white with the black strips, right now the engine bay is black which i plan on touching up and keeping black. I was also thinking while i have the motor out i might paint the ls6 intake manifold white, the slp lid white and redo the letters in black, and then the coil back brakets white, redo the valve covers black, and of course the coil pack are black. Just kind of throwing around some ideas right now so make the engine back look better, the car never sees anysort of dirt roads or anything and i keep the engine bay pretty clean so the parts being white isn't really a big concern. Oh yeah and the headers are blue right now for some reason, i plan on cutting off the egr and air tubes welding those closed and then sanding the headers down and repainting them in black.

anyways let me know what you guys think, throw some more ideas out there for me if you guys and think of anything else..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information