Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

If you can't spin them to do a burnout. Then you won't spin them at the line. Just line them up and go.

Since you have an A4, get a converter.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    I don't understand why you would need to fight for a burnout. If it's that hard to do a burnout then you can't spin em off the line anyways and don't need to heat em up
    Let me see if I can explain this.....Drag radials are made of a soft compound designed to give you optimum traction at the track while still meeting DOT street requirements. Now, the compound on the drag radials is harder than the compound you'd find on a true drag tire.. BUT, the compound is based on a racing compound and it needs to be heated up to get maximum traction. The reason he's probably not getting them to spin is because 1) The compound has better traction that his radial tires had........but they need to get some heat in them to get the true grip they are intended to provide.......if you could look at the pores on the tire thru a microscope after a burn out you'd see they open up.....when this happens it's basically making the tire a sponge to the track surface....the VHT they put down....does that makes sense???? If the tires are cold the surface isn't "opened" up.....if this doesn't clear it up I can try again.....but I know I tend to ramble.....

Black

That's true, but if he is not spinning off the line. Why worry about a burnout?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
    That's true, but if he is not spinning off the line. Why worry about a burnout?
    It could be his launch techniques.......I'm trying to remember when my car was stock....it was originally an auto with 2.73's in the rear and I still managed to spin the tires on a launch........I just know that the tires will need heat in them before you take off.......

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37
    and I still managed to spin the tires on a launch
    But if shady1504's tires don't spin on the launch there shouldn't be a reason for a burnout cause they're already hooking. Right?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by x-40oz-x
    But if shady1504's tires don't spin on the launch there shouldn't be a reason for a burnout cause they're already hooking. Right?
    It really isn't this difficult......read the posts......I also said it could be launch techniques.....I assure you his car can break the tires loose.....Shady1504 understands now......and I can't speak for him because I dont know but ask him how he launches.....if he's just taking up drag racing........

Bottom line: Drag radials need to be warmed up before you race.....you guys are gonna get me to drinking again....

1981 g-Body

Alright then.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37
    Bottom line: Drag radials need to be warmed up before you race.....you guys are gonna get me to drinking again....
    Thats not true, if you are hooking at the line without a burnout. There is no need for one.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
    Thats not true, if you are hooking at the line without a burnout. There is no need for one.
    Ok....I give up.....

I never said I was hooking at the line without a burnout on drag radials. I was talking about trying to burn out in with the drag radials and not being able to. But it's not like this is my first time drag racing, I've been doing this for about two years. My launch technique has always been the same but this was my first time on drag radials.

Black

Well that would have help alot if we knew that in the beginning.

Your going to have to use water to spin the tires.

Red
    1998 WS6

yea, If you cant light em up then thats good. You do not need to burnout b4 if you are not burning out on ur launch. Are you burning out when you go down the track?

Torch Red
    2000 Corvette

burnout questions for automatics

When you change to a looser converter you will definately need to heat the tires because they will spin off the line. The looser converter will really help your ET. Even though you are launching without spinning the tires (so you think) if you could get a video where you could watch the tires in slow motion I believe you would see some loss of traction. I think you need to heat the tires now and certainly when you go to a looser converter. Even though it doesn't feel like the tires are spinning, I bet that if you heat them before running that you will run quicker.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Ok I have to back cailey on this because I could not get a powerbrake for shit on dry road (turns out it was because of my sway bar missing an endlink) but then when I would take off at the line I would spin almost clear to the 1/8 at times.. However if his times did not improve when he put on the DR's they will not be likely to improve when he heats them. They will help most cars but he seems to have more of a weight transfer problem than anything. I would say some looser shocks up front and disconnect the front sway bar and possibly some gas shocks in the rear and he could see another couple of tenths.

Thread Information