Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Eeeeew,,,slicks and 7.5's just don't mix well, makes me cringe just thinking about it. Larry.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I would say turn it off. I always have mine off when driving the car.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I hate how the accelerator whacks you in the foot when the traction control kicks in. and it makes the car bog. it's pretty embarressing when you have someone else in the car.

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Its traction control, not launch control. It will kill your 60ft times, not help them. OFF when drag racing for sure!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Corvettekid82 View Post
    Its traction control, not launch control. It will kill your 60ft times, not help them. OFF when drag racing for sure!
    100% true, this topic shouldn't even be debated honestly.

Red
    1998 Z28 6-speed

As for the ASR comming on every time you turn the key off then back on, they do make a kit that makes it stay off all the time unless you turn it on. Cant remember who makes it i think it might be SLP but i saw it in a summit racing catalog. And even though you have new tires it doesnt mean anything. you arent driving a wussy ass mustang you got some real power. Good old fashion OHV baby. But try wider tires if you are still running stock width. I have 275's as apposed to my stock 245's and that helps some but still have to go easy on the start. Also try warming them up first. Ill usually burn em through 2nd before a run.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Lol....dont u hate it when u forget its on and look like a jackass when u go to do ur burnout? haha

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    Lol....dont u hate it when u forget its on and look like a jackass when u go to do ur burnout? haha
    lol been there done that

black
    2000 camaro z28

definitely off!!! get those tires nice and hot... and maybe dont hit it all the way to the floor as soon as the light goes green...you can launch at 1500 but dont go straight to the floor... 3/4 down then floor it..thats what works for me i have stock gears and street tires with only intake exhaust y-pipe and mass air sens. and i pulled a 2.08 60 foot...for street tires thats pretty good

black
    2000 camaro z28

but thats just a suggestion im no pro...everyone has there own ways to make em stick

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

I hear the traction control on the new vettes are good as shit for drag racing....anyone know anything about this?

Is it for just low rpm street racing
    ?

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by stevo5662 View Post
    As for the ASR comming on every time you turn the key off then back on, they do make a kit that makes it stay off all the time unless you turn it on. Cant remember who makes it i think it might be SLP but i saw it in a summit racing catalog. .
    yeah slp sells em for like $60. but who would find it worth it to spend that much $ (prob more now cause they keep raising all their prices) and having to install the damn thing when all you have to do is just push a button to turn it off....cmon guys, how lazy can you get?

I am far from lazy (you have to know me) but I am seriously thinking about purchasing this from SLP. It's not that it's hard to lift a finger and push a button, it's the fact that it's such a nusance, that every time you cycle the key the darn thing turns itself on, and I find this feature useless. Anything over half throttle, my car will scratch second gear on the 1-2 shift (auto) and it's kicking the pedal back at me,,,then I remember,,,damn traction control is on,,,grrrrrr. I would rather have it the other way around,,,leave it off and push the button when you want the assistance,,,although for the life of me I cannot think of a reason to turn it on,,,even in slippery conditions I would rather modulate the throttle with my foot.
    Seems all these new cars keep trying to take the driving experience away from the driver. I don't care for that. Just what we need is a bunch of mindless people wondering around on the roads expecting their cars to do everything for them. Thats the kind of stuff that makes for a lazy society.
    I think driving needs to be put back into the hands of the drivers, although it's been so many years now I think most everyone would have to relearn how to drive,,,,lol. It's sad what things are coming to. I am done babbling now,,,,Larry.

I take that back, I have more to babble about. Now they are coming out with new cars that will parallel park themselves while the driver just sits there. Anyone see this crap? That is just rediculous. No thank you. I wish they would program cars like that to drive right off the cliff and hopefully take the mindless driver behind the wheel with it.
    Sorry if that offends anyone, but thats my feelings on it.
    Okay, I apoligize for getting off subject,,carry on. Larry.

I see why the ASR can be useful i.e. wet roads, hydroplaning....but what about the cars that don't have an ASR button on them. Does this simply mean that there isn't a traction control on them?

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by joshslu View Post
    I see why the ASR can be useful i.e. wet roads, hydroplaning....but what about the cars that don't have an ASR button on them. Does this simply mean that there isn't a traction control on them?
    Yup.

No TCS or ASR button, no traction control. You can also tell under the hood by looking at the pass. fender by the battery. Mine has it and I painted the cover silver and red. See the pic for a referance:
    Click for full size

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

rrgray8's SS has stock 275 tires.(They are a nice size, I've got the same)

I'm running kumhos mx's in the back and when its atleast a little warm outside I have almost no traction issues. When its hot outside its even better for me, I can pretty much stomp first from low rpms and just fly. Now that it is cold I cant say the same hahaha. I got on 1st the other day getting on the highway and then shifted to 2nd and stomped it just because I felt like it and I ROASTED THEM! hahahahaha Made me feel like I turned on the afterburners, I mean when I do it and roast them like that I see dust and stuff in my rear view while it looks like the back end is squatting hahaha.

Basically I've got summer competition tires and I love them(mainly when its summer,) but I keep pretty good control of my foot.)

Also I think you guys were giving rrgray8 some bad advise, remember he has an A4 which means he shouldn't be launching at 1500, RIGHT? correct me if I'm wrong(I could be) but I think that will mess up an auto right?

By the way ASR off,,, UNLESS YOU REALLY WANNA BE SAFE! I turn mine off when I get in mine as long as its dry, or maybe its wet and I want to slide a little. Usually when its raining I'll keep it on just to keep traction a little easier. And when racing, OFF! Just learn how to adjust the foot and you'll leave the competition. And I'd say the best way to take off it to do as little to no wheel spin as possible. I think the best way is the thin line between spinning and solid grip.
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 02-01-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: correction

nbm
    00SS

Off peels off better

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Didn't this get beat to death a couple months ago? But I agree.. can't find a single reason to have it on... really annoying. But as far as launching at 1500.. before my gears, I was launching around 1800 (the point the rear started to stand up right before it broke free) and had good results.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I have a 98 z28 do I have traction control??? If so could you guys tell me how to turn it off and where its located. Is it near the ash tray?? I have a automatic trans. if that makes a differance. Do I turn it off when the car is running?The newest z28 I ever owned was a 87 IROC so the 98 is new to me.
    Thanks for your help-----mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information