Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

hugger orange

how about the CHEATR cams, they are made to get the most power with stock manifolds so you can stay emissions legal

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    So is sticking some huge off the shelf cam in with stock heads.

Buy the best heads to can possibly afford, then base your cam off the heads you bought. Plain and simple. A
    My car already runs upper-mid 11s, my goal is met. I don't want a cage in it. I could have gotten heads and a smaller cam to do the same thing but why? Mine is a custom grind btw if you were referring to me...
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 01-30-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    how about the CHEATR cams, they are made to get the most power with stock manifolds so you can stay emissions legal
    Ya I've looked at those for a while. I'm really leaning towards that route. I like the idea of a smooth idle camshaft that still puts out decent numbers and I may go that route on my 02. My wifes 2000 has a mild vinci cam that takes a very good ear to even hear a slight chop, almost non existent and perfect for a driver.
    I already have a choppy cam car that I can jump in if I feel the need that jars your teeth loose and still chops along at 35 mph,,,,, I don't really need another one like that.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    My car already runs upper-mid 11s, my goal is met. I don't want a cage in it. I could have gotten heads and a smaller cam to do the same thing but why? Mine is a custom grind btw if you were referring to me...
    I'm not doing a cage either. I'm hoping my headers, exhaust and 3.73 gears will drop me to the mid 11's without spending more money on some heads. An 11.5-11.6 daily driver is impressive enough for me!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by DKITCHEN View Post
    I'm not doing a cage either. I'm hoping my headers, exhaust and 3.73 gears will drop me to the mid 11's without spending more money on some heads. An 11.5-11.6 daily driver is impressive enough for me!
    If not throw some skinnies on too, should be a slam dunk.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Nope, not at all.

Do you have any dino graphs posted on here? If not, can I see one? Dont you have a MS-series "similar" cam? Curious as to what it looks like.

Whats the grind on your cam? What lobes are they on? Any videos of your car at the track?

Sounds like it is running.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Nope, not at all.

Do you have any dino graphs posted on here? If not, can I see one? Dont you have a MS-series "similar" cam? Curious as to what it looks like.

Whats the grind on your cam? What lobes are they on? Any videos of your car at the track?

Sounds like it is running.
    Cam specs are 230/236 613/613 111'+1. The lobes are the only thing my tuner kept secret, he told me simply, "they're Ford lobes". Dyno chart is below. I should get some better times this year, my tuner runs the same cam as do a couple other of his customers, with better results than me. No good track videos.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

damn, that cam peaks at 6200???? IS that the advance ground into it?

That cam is similar to what I was looking at before I relized I couldnt fit it with my small CC chamber heads (56cc). Was looking at Futral cams, and the V.2. No larger that the V.2.

That looks like a nice grind. Man, with that lift, a decent pair of heads would make that combo shine!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Says at the bottom peak hp=6,573rpm. I had it dynoed two months later at a different shop (don't have that graph in my pc) and it showed pretty much the same. The +1 advance is ground in, stock timing chain. Ya I'd love a good set of heads but tired of dumping money in this thing.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

If not throw some skinnies on too, should be a slam dunk.
    Yep, I'll be running a full set of prostars for the track this year too. You should come to MIR when we're running this year and I'll get some good video for you. I taped about 7 track days last year.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Now I may be the only one but I find this very cool. What a sleeper you have, with stock manifolds and all,,,, you could pop the hood and no one would guess you have a near 11 second ride there.
    Actually it would be obvious from his idle sound, believe me you can tell.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Yep, I'll be running a full set of prostars for the track this year too. You should come to MIR when we're running this year and I'll get some good video for you. I taped about 7 track days last year.
    Only time I really get down there is for EFA races. I mean I live right across the street from Capitol but hey maybe, remind us sometime when you will be filming.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Actually it would be obvious from his idle sound, believe me you can tell.
    I meant a sleeper in the sense that when you open the hood you still see stock manifolds.
    Thats why I said when he installs headers all bets were off

But as with just about any mild cam,,,if you grind enough advance in there and spread the lobe seperation way out along with a sharp tune you can smooth that idle down to near stock levels if you want the sound to go with the looks

You could even make that little 226 at .050 cam he is running idle near stock if you apply what I said above.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-03-2009 at 07:29 AM.

blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6 6M

i would put heads on it and see how fast you can go with a stock exhaust. Sounds like the cam doesnt really mind the exhaust too bad. some cams are just turds without a high flow exhaust but it seems it worked out.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

"they're Ford lobes".
    That's funny.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information