Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Question

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

None

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Only clearance prob is right at the dumps... if they would be facing sideways, I wouldn't have much of a prob.... but they are diagonal.. so I might have to end up sawalling them flat.. I dunno yet. Still more than worth it.
    We all have low pipes, some lower then others. I have full size headers and custom built duals using 3.5in pipe. The did there own X pipe setup it is low, but not as low as my Sub frame connectors. They hardly hang below my oil pan, but I was really picky(I was paying someone to install with other work, it toke them 3 times to make it high enough and mainly rattle free.

I really dig the sound.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SS 2002 533HP View Post
    We all have low pipes, some lower then others. I have full size headers and custom built duals using 3.5in pipe. The did there own X pipe setup it is low, but not as low as my Sub frame connectors. They hardly hang below my oil pan, but I was really picky(I was paying someone to install with other work, it toke them 3 times to make it high enough and mainly rattle free.

I really dig the sound.
    That sounds awesome! Do you have any picks of it? Where do the 3.5" pipes run?

None

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    That sounds awesome! Do you have any picks of it? Where do the 3.5" pipes run?
    Not yet but, I will get under and snap a few pics. I need a car pic anyway,
    I was thinking from the back, straight on might look cool.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I was about to comment on how unnecessary 3.5" piping is... then I acknowledged your screen name. So how are you making 533? I'm asuming that's either Crank or Spray, right? Dual 3" piping will handle about 700 RWHP, so generally speaking, 3.5 is overkill, unless you have some serious goals in mind. I would really like to see/hear the system though!

And since nobody ever clarified the reasons to go with X or H, I'll go ahead and comment; X-pipes are for power, the crossover helps in scavenging, just like a good collector. This ultimately raises the tone though, creating a more "exotic" or "racey" sound. H-pipes help to balance out the pipe backpressure, creating a smoother deep tone, this is most popular on Mustangs. The difference in gains may be minimal or not... but one thing is unanimous, x-pipes do in fact provide a bigger gain.

And straight pipes? They stopped using them for a reason. Go listen to a pickup with straights; good tone? yes. Ridiculously loud? yes. Substantial losses in comparison to x/h pipe? yes. Straight pipes is equivalent to putting cutouts before the muffler(s), it's really only a temporary, cheaper fix.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    I was about to comment on how unnecessary 3.5" piping is... then I acknowledged your screen name. So how are you making 533? I'm asuming that's either Crank or Spray, right? Dual 3" piping will handle about 700 RWHP, so generally speaking, 3.5 is overkill, unless you have some serious goals in mind. I would really like to see/hear the system though!

And since nobody ever clarified the reasons to go with X or H, I'll go ahead and comment; X-pipes are for power, the crossover helps in scavenging, just like a good collector. This ultimately raises the tone though, creating a more "exotic" or "racey" sound. H-pipes help to balance out the pipe backpressure, creating a smoother deep tone, this is most popular on Mustangs. The difference in gains may be minimal or not... but one thing is unanimous, x-pipes do in fact provide a bigger gain.

And straight pipes? They stopped using them for a reason. Go listen to a pickup with straights; good tone? yes. Ridiculously loud? yes. Substantial losses in comparison to x/h pipe? yes. Straight pipes is equivalent to putting cutouts before the muffler(s), it's really only a temporary, cheaper fix.
    An X-PIPE will always out-perform an H-PIPE in torque and horsepower from the mid-range on up. At the least a 5 horse gain.

None

Thanks for the info, and I cannot believe I am giving you any feedback here...
    Yet it is the polite thing to do, HP Performance was out of 3in pipe at that time. The said they could get it to fit (the have before) as well as the 3in, and I paid 3in pipe pricing. And I plan on some more gains slowy.

It is sprayed to get 533hp and 407hp without Nos. Retuned Computer chip/system(HP/TQ, shift points, early fan activate etc.) high flow smoothed bellows, K&M Air Filter, high flow mass air sensor, SFI Pulley Set with ALT Pulley. Then include my RPM Act Switch and Purge kit for more control of the NOS. Then toss in Sub Frame Connectors, HD Lower Control Arms w/poly bushings, Poly Transmission Mount and Nos/Fuel/Tranny Gauges. Do not forget the 3.5 Exhaust with Stainless Steel Headers. That I will get pics for the request of 9t8z28 and you are welcome to come see my ride anytime you would like. I take out on the big town of Omaha NE, if you ever show up?

And I thought my name was very accurate on a fare description.

ProwlerZ ... well the Z makes sense, but Prowler just seams over the top.

Yet truly if you are ever up this way for any reason at all, let me know.
    You have great tastes in cars, I am sure we could cause some noise in Omaha. And when I get the photos, I will send your way also.

Peace Out

Pewter
    2001 Z28

I went with true duals.. I love the sound.
    www.boomspeed.com/bharnz/rev.mpg
    At 80 mph no drone inside, Dumped at the axle, and Flo-pro twister mufflers.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SS 2002 533HP View Post
    Thanks for the info, and I cannot believe I am giving you any feedback here...
    Yet it is the polite thing to do, HP Performance was out of 3in pipe at that time. The said they could get it to fit (the have before) as well as the 3in, and I paid 3in pipe pricing. And I plan on some more gains slowy.

It is sprayed to get 533hp and 407hp without Nos. Retuned Computer chip/system(HP/TQ, shift points, early fan activate etc.) high flow smoothed bellows, K&M Air Filter, high flow mass air sensor, SFI Pulley Set with ALT Pulley. Then include my RPM Act Switch and Purge kit for more control of the NOS. Then toss in Sub Frame Connectors, HD Lower Control Arms w/poly bushings, Poly Transmission Mount and Nos/Fuel/Tranny Gauges. Do not forget the 3.5 Exhaust with Stainless Steel Headers. That I will get pics for the request of 9t8z28 and you are welcome to come see my ride anytime you would like. I take out on the big town of Omaha NE, if you ever show up?

And I thought my name was very accurate on a fare description.

ProwlerZ ... well the Z makes sense, but Prowler just seams over the top.

Yet truly if you are ever up this way for any reason at all, let me know.
    You have great tastes in cars, I am sure we could cause some noise in Omaha. And when I get the photos, I will send your way also.

Peace Out

407rwhp without a Cam? Those are some great numbers, you should cam that thing, I bet it'd really react to it... not to mention the thought of a healthy cam running through 3.5" duals.

I haven't hit a dyno since the cam, but I'm only expecting about 400, then I'll spray it to 550, maybe higher if the fuel system can keep up.

Ah, and as far as "ProwlerZ" goes:
    Prowl-er [prou-ler]
    2. a person who goes stealthily about with some unlawful intention, as to commit a burglary or theft.
    Prowl v.
    To roam through stealthily, as in search of prey or plunder

Overkill? Of course, isn't that what a 500+ rwhp street car is all about?

None

407rwhp without a Cam? Those are some great numbers, you should cam that thing, I bet it'd really react to it... not to mention the thought of a healthy cam running through 3.5" duals.

I haven't hit a dyno since the cam, but I'm only expecting about 400, then I'll spray it to 550, maybe higher if the fuel system can keep up.

Ah, and as far as "ProwlerZ" goes:
    Prowl-er [prou-ler]
    2. a person who goes stealthily about with some unlawful intention, as to commit a burglary or theft.
    Prowl v.
    To roam through stealthily, as in search of prey or plunder

Overkill? Of course, isn't that what a 500+ rwhp street car is all about?
    Right On my Friend, what is the specs on the cam you used. There is plenty of air and fuel for close to that with NOS. Do you have some kind of cold induction, of any kind. I only installed the 100hp jet for the NOS, it was under 100hp more before the reprogram/tuneup by about 3 or 4hp. They are
    (Z's and SS's) tuned way under power from the factory, most of them by alot I think. I then had it tuned for the most HP/TQ running the spray, after tune it gained from 407 to 533 and that is only a 100 jet used. You will want more air flow. Have you had yours tuned and chip reflashed? It was so worth the money, I now get more miles per gallon, just since the tuneup. It increased with the exhaust, the smooth bellows and mass air sensor alone, better then my 6 banger dodge dakota (my beater). After tune it blew my mind the MPG that is, well the power increase did some blowing of other minds (my way home found a 98 or 99 Vette Stock I think). His day was blown...

I do like you name, just flipping U shit dude... if it is overkill I am there.

Traction will become your problem soon, but some problems are a blessing in rubber!

And some info on that cam, if you can.
    What was your stock dyno #'s, if I can ask.

[COLOR="Red"]Happy New Year 2 U and 2 all.[/COLOR]

Silver
    2002 Z28

The cam is the Comp XER281HR, it's a 232/236 cam. It has been tuned, but not dyno-tuned since the cam/nitrous. I'm waiting on my mechanic, he's got a mustang dyno coming in soon.

The car wasn't stock when I got it, but with GMMG chambered exhaust and most bolt ons, it was at about 340, then after the duals and a rough tune, it laid down 350, though it was on a dynojet with 18s, so it should have been a bit higher on the stock 16s. Since then the car has had p&p TB, Cam and supporting mods, a more precise tune, and the HSW dry kit, jetted at 125, with 150 for track/dyno, and hopefully, air/fuel permitting, a 175 just to be a dyno queen. I'm expecting 400 rwhp all motor, and I figure I'm probably a pulley and a good set of heads away from 450. That way I can spray it to 600 rwhp, and after a new rear end and clutch, push through to low low tens. I'd like to get the car into the 9s on the bottle and still be my d.d. I figure my 11.73 with a 2.001 60 ft could be an 11.3 with a 1.6 60' (which a rear, clutch, and slicks could bag), then the spray should carry it all the way down to about a ten flat...ish, then heads will do the rest... at least I hope. Worst case scenario I hit the fuel system and go for more spray. When the new Camaro comes out I'll be taking out a loan to lock into one for a d.d. and then I can be a little more aggressive with this baby, but as I'm sure you know, when it's sole transportation...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information