Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I have Fel Pro header gaskets i ordered from summit are those good gaskets when i install my LT's.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    I have Fel Pro header gaskets i ordered from summit are those good gaskets when i install my LT's.
    The factory gaskets are great and many have just reused theirs. Do not use the fiber gaskets that come with some headers. I've never seen the FelPro gaskets- what are they made of? I'd also recommend getting a good set of bolts like the Stage 8's or Percys simply because you can save yourself a lot of headache just by keeping the header bolts snug- most header gaskets leak because of the constant heating and cooling lead to the bolts backing out enough to let exhaust gas get by.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

i have the stage 8 bolts i was thinking of using anti seize on them and then trying to see if there are a good set of lock washers just in case for them instead of using the locking they come with. I might just re use my existing header gasket since its settled already but i was told fel pro was a good replacment not sure anymore ill check and see what kind of gasket the are.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

A little anti-seize is always a good idea when you're using two different metals. As for the locking washers- just use the ones that come with the Stage 8's. On the center ones there's not much you can do- maybe someone who's set them up on a LS1 can give you a better idea. I ended up going with the Percy split bolts more out of curiosity- used Stage 8's for years, just wanted to do something a little different.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    Do what ya like but my hooker lt's didnt require the removal of anything but the factory exhaust. I didnt even have to remove the oil filter or the starter and it was done in the driveway on jackstands. They fit right in and they were a good design. Fit tight against the floor board but still left an inch of clearance and dont hit at all . TSP y pipe was a bitch to install because of their design, not the headers. Hooker gives egr and air gaskets and an egr block off plate with o2 extensions in the box. Paid 260 shipped on ebay from speedtweekers.

That's a great deal so after it was done did you have to get a tune??? So the engine light wasn't on?

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Do what ya like but my hooker lt's didnt require the removal of anything but the factory exhaust. I didnt even have to remove the oil filter or the starter and it was done in the driveway on jackstands. They fit right in and they were a good design. Fit tight against the floor board but still left an inch of clearance and dont hit at all . TSP y pipe was a bitch to install because of their design, not the headers. Hooker gives egr and air gaskets and an egr block off plate with o2 extensions in the box. Paid 260 shipped on ebay from speedtweekers.
    I just bought the same headers from the guy you got them from off ebay, i also go the hooker matching y pipe that goes with these headers. Hope it works out well. But how was his shipping? I havent heard anything from him i asked what the headers came with like if i need to order the o2 extensions or not.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Running Pacesetter LT's here. Love 'em and great for a budget

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

headers

the best headers are the ones you get for free.but if you cannot find those,do like i did, and search craigslist for a while.i found some LTs for 40$ kinda ugly,but they seal good and they are the same design as hooker or flowtech.they work great with my NOS kit!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    i have the stage 8 bolts i was thinking of using anti seize on them and then trying to see if there are a good set of lock washers just in case for them instead of using the locking they come with. I might just re use my existing header gasket since its settled already but i was told fel pro was a good replacment not sure anymore ill check and see what kind of gasket the are.
    So you finally decided that you are going to install those longtubes?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 418LS1 View Post
    QTP was out before ARH or Kooks and has held the "great quality and performance hat" for a while.

The best in order best to worst, (my opinion): QTP, Kooks, ARH, BBK, Stainless works, Edelbrock, Hooker, Pacesetter/Texas Speed, Mac(mids), Ebay
    QTPs quality control slipped somewhere along the line, and their Y pipe has always sucked. Kooks>QTPs (my opinion). And Mac mids better than Ebays? Ha. I went from Macs to Ebays. No comparison.

Last edited by INMY01TA; 05-02-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I just oredered Pacesetters, gm gaskets and Poly motor mounts and TSP Y pipe. But the headers are back ordered for 2 weeks.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    I just oredered Pacesetters, gm gaskets and Poly motor mounts and TSP Y pipe. But the headers are back ordered for 2 weeks.
    Where in Md are you?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Woodbine. Its southern carroll county. Where are you at?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    Woodbine. Its southern carroll county. Where are you at?
    Crofton. Pretty much right at Capitol Raceway. Come on by, I'm usually there Friday nights for test and tune.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

i might come down one night. theres a few people ive met on here up at mason dixon.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

I bought the same headers as you well besides I got ceramic coated but I have a 99 also you didnt run into any issues installing them? I got these hoping my install would go as smooth as yours did

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    and perform the same...
    ehhhhhhh close but not quite...there is a performance difference

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    QTPs quality control slipped somewhere along the line, and their Y pipe has always sucked. Kooks>QTPs (my opinion). And Mac mids better than Ebays? Ha. I went from Macs to Ebays. No comparison.

Click for full size
    very true...i believe they have started to tighten up their QC tho as of late...but they had that horrible batch of headers with the leaking primaries and piss poor header flange( i think that is the right word) fitment.

their Y pipes blow hard ..only good thing is their high flow y pipe merge......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information