Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    oh it isnt directed to u. ...let me clarify my first post.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Umm, well, this is interesting.........

So, let me just make a very direct question with little room for interpretation here. Is a new cam a good idea if I am just looking for a little power boost and want a good sound for my exhaust on the otherwise stock engine?

And yes, I understand that with heads too I'll get even more power, but I cant afford those yet. I'm on a limited budget and looking for some cheaper mods to get power as well as a mean sounding exhaust. I just wanted to know if upgrading the cam on a stock engine would mess it up or not. I'm going to add heads later. I just cant afford them now.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post

So, let me just make a very direct question with little room for interpretation here. Is a new cam a good idea if I am just looking for a little power boost and want a good sound for my exhaust on the otherwise stock engine?

And yes, I understand that with heads too I'll get even more power, but I cant afford those yet. I'm on a limited budget and looking for some cheaper mods to get power as well as a mean sounding exhaust. I just wanted to know if upgrading the cam on a stock engine would mess it up or not. I'm going to add heads later. I just cant afford them now.
    What is currently done to your car now? How much money do you have? That will help everyone a little

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

Re-read my first post in your thread. It answers every question you're asking.

To the other guys wanting to argue about SBC vs LSX heads. I wasn't making the simple argument that they flow more air. I was clarifying that the "you need heads to do a cam" was more so relevant in the SBC days, to take full advantage of a cam swap. LSX engines do not require aftermarket heads to make great results with a cam, because the LS1 heads flow so much more air. Lack of air movement is what restricts cam setups. LS1 heads don't suffer from lack of air movement like a SBC head.

I've built several cam only cars, that make more power than a lot of heads/cam cars and running faster at the track. I've got a car in the shop right now that makes 424/405 with my custom spec cam, stock heads, stock LS6 intake, and all the supporting bolt ons (longtubes, true duals, etc). Run's consistant 11.20's @ 121.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

no you dont need aftermarket heads for your goals ...a cam with bolt ons will be fine for your app...if your goals change later and you are looking for more power..then the heads should be addressed.

i think for your app you should look into the gm hot cams ...they will give you a boost in performance along with the sound you are looking for..and wont require anything dramatic...i would suggest some comp 918s springs however.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    Re-read my first post in your thread. It answers every question you're asking.

To the other guys wanting to argue about SBC vs LSX heads. I wasn't making the simple argument that they flow more air. I was clarifying that the "you need heads to do a cam" was more so relevant in the SBC days, to take full advantage of a cam swap. LSX engines do not require aftermarket heads to make great results with a cam, because the LS1 heads flow so much more air. Lack of air movement is what restricts cam setups. LS1 heads don't suffer from lack of air movement like a SBC head.

I've built several cam only cars, that make more power than a lot of heads/cam cars and running faster at the track. I've got a car in the shop right now that makes 424/405 with my custom spec cam, stock heads, stock LS6 intake, and all the supporting bolt ons (longtubes, true duals, etc). Run's consistant 11.20's @ 121.
    ohh ok..i think we got our lines crossed up...my bad.

white
    2000 trans am

I'm staying away from the SLP longtubes. I've heard the scrape at every bump. I'm going with Pacesetter full-lengths.

And as far as performance, I wish I could set the world ablaze in that category. I just cant afford to. Performance is my main goal for this car but my budget is very limiting right now.
    ASA 525/525 valve lift 226/236@ .50 LSA 108
    Most people change cam,springs and pushrods, but

LS6 springs will run this cam. Claimed hp levels range from 360-390rwhp. Also, many people use factory pushrods, even though they are $100.00 only.
    Last edited by squirlnutz; 03-18-2010 at 04:17 PM.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    What is currently done to your car now? How much money do you have? That will help everyone a little
    No mods now. Car is bone stock. And I dont have any money yet. The car is still being taken apart. But I was looking at spending around a grand for exhaust/intake/headers/cam.

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

No mods now. Car is bone stock. And I dont have any money yet. The car is still being taken apart. But I was looking at spending around a grand for exhaust/intake/headers/cam.
    A cam alone with parts/install is going to run you in the $1500-2000 range depending on which shop you get to do it.

Take your $1000 and buy all the supporting bolt ons.

-Intake Lid $90 off ebay
    -Pacesetter headers with ORY $480
    -ASP Underdrive pulley $200
    -Ported TB $50-100

Those 4 mods will give you roughly a 40RWHP increase, and put you in line to be ready for a cam swap when money allows.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

A cam alone with parts/install is going to run you in the $1500-2000 range depending on which shop you get to do it.

-Intake Lid $90 off ebay
    -Ported TB $50-100

Those 4 mods will give you roughly a 40RWHP increase, and put you in line to be ready for a cam swap when money allows.
    he is correct....
    a grand will get you the supporting mods for the cam. Now the ported TB is something that can be done at home if you have a steady hand. The intake lid if you get lucky you can get one a little cheaper (i will be selling mine next month ). For the headers and ORY I went with the ebay cheapos for 200 shipped and a pacesetter ORY from Kyspeed.com and it was around 135ish shipped. So there are ways to cut corners. Just DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

-Intake Lid $90 off ebay
    -Ported TB $50-100

Where'd you find the Pacesetter set? That's a good price for the headers and ORY together. Were the headers full-length or long-tube?
    And I'm gonna sound like a real newb here, but what does an underdrive pulley actually do?
    he is correct....
    a grand will get you the supporting mods for the cam. Now the ported TB is something that can be done at home if you have a steady hand. The intake lid if you get lucky you can get one a little cheaper (i will be selling mine next month ). For the headers and ORY I went with the ebay cheapos for 200 shipped and a pacesetter ORY from Kyspeed.com and it was around 135ish shipped. So there are ways to cut corners. Just DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How would I port the throttle body, just use a dremel tool?
    I actually already have an intake lid but I'm not sure if it's actually any good. It's fake carbon-fiber and was already on the car when we got it. I have some pics of it uploading to photobucket and I'll post them as soon as they're finished.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Here are the pics of it. Does it look like it'll work just as fine as any of the other ones out there?

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Where'd you find the Pacesetter set? That's a good price for the headers and ORY together. Were the headers full-length or long-tube?
    And I'm gonna sound like a real newb here, but what does an underdrive pulley actually do?

How would I port the throttle body, just use a dremel tool?
    I actually already have an intake lid but I'm not sure if it's actually any good. It's fake carbon-fiber and was already on the car when we got it. I have some pics of it uploading to photobucket and I'll post them as soon as they're finished.
    about buying anything check with Mark at Kyspeed.com he is a supporting member of this board and has great prices.

the lid you have is fine i wouldn't waste money on a new one. if you really hate the fake carbon fiber hit it with a rattle can

about porting the throttle body yes a dremel will work
    this page might help you
    http://www.bowlingss.com/LS1_How_To.htm

also check out ls1howto.com for other random things

like I said before RESEARCH so you don't waste money

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

about buying anything check with Mark at Kyspeed.com he is a supporting member of this board and has great prices.

the lid you have is fine i wouldn't waste money on a new one. if you really hate the fake carbon fiber hit it with a rattle can

about porting the throttle body yes a dremel will work
    this page might help you
    http://www.bowlingss.com/LS1_How_To.htm

also check out ls1howto.com for other random things

like I said before RESEARCH so you don't waste money
    thanks for all the info. and ^^^^ that's why i'm on the forum and asking these questions, lol.

black
    2002 transam ws6

cam only

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I run cam only as do lots of other guys. Got me in the 11s and that's good enough for now.
    was wondering what kind of car u have and your complete set up cuz that about exactly what im looking for...thanks

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by DMIKEY View Post
    was wondering what kind of car u have and your complete set up cuz that about exactly what im looking for...thanks
    click "My F Quick Page" below

black
    2000 camaro ss m6

well cheap power = n0s

I don't want to sound like a dick, but you really have no idea what you're saying or talking about. LS1 heads flow more air than most ported SBC heads. They flow plenty of air for a camshaft, even in stock form. And if I'm wrong, I guess all the other 100's of shops and LSX builders are wrong too and all the 10's of thousands of cammed LS1's need to get back in the shop to have some heads put on their car.

I've been building LSX engines for over 10 years. If I say something on here, it's because I learned it from experience. Not because some internet mechanic on some website told me so.
    Hmm that's crazy I said the same thing a very long time ago on here anyways yr right these internet mechanic think they can read and know everything lol I been doin LS swaps when my wifes father wrecked his 99 ss I put it in an 1987 gnx IT WASN'T but 6 month old and he left for a two week Cruise on a ship lmfao when he came back it was stripped the wiring Driveline tranny rearend motor brain dash he was mad af till I let him ride in the regal he had to wait like 2 more weeks we'll I had the drive line made and a few other things back then there was no aftermarket conversion kits motor mount tranny mount anything I had to make it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information