Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

With my LTs, catback, suspension mods, along with a tune (and probably better shifting on my part going down the track) I was able to cut my 1/4 mile time from 13.79 to 13.19. I can get into the 12's, I just need to practice my launch.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    With my LTs, catback, suspension mods, along with a tune (and probably better shifting on my part going down the track) I was able to cut my 1/4 mile time from 13.79 to 13.19. I can get into the 12's, I just need to practice my launch.
    Your thingy at the bottom of your post also mentions 4.11 gears. 6speed cars are different in the respect that varied RPM launch comes into play (something you don't have with an auto and stock converter), sticky tires alone with what you currently have should put you in the 12's.

My 02 SS vert with an auto ran 13.72 bone stock similar to your car.
    With a simple tune, a 3400 converter, and long tube headers and off road Y, it went 12.76 at 107 mph. Still using the stock catback, stock tires, stock suspension, 3.23 gears etc...

There is probably more in your car than you give credit for.

My other 6 speed, also with headers and off road Y,,,still using the stock catback on that as well, on stock rubber and still with 3.42's ran a 12.90 at 111 mph about a month ago. Very soft 60 foot time of 2.10. Tires and better 60 foot times should put that car mid to low 12's easily.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Your thingy at the bottom of your post also mentions 4.11 gears. 6speed cars are different in the respect that varied RPM launch comes into play (something you don't have with an auto and stock converter), sticky tires alone with what you currently have should put you in the 12's.

My 02 SS vert with an auto ran 13.72 bone stock similar to your car.
    With a simple tune, a 3400 converter, and long tube headers and off road Y, it went 12.76 at 107 mph. Still using the stock catback, stock tires, stock suspension, 3.23 gears etc...

There is probably more in your car than you give credit for.

My other 6 speed, also with headers and off road Y,,,still using the stock catback on that as well, on stock rubber and still with 3.42's ran a 12.90 at 111 mph about a month ago. Very soft 60 foot time of 2.10. Tires and better 60 foot times should put that car mid to low 12's easily.
    Good info here, thanks. I agree. My MPH on the 13.19 run was 107MPH. I had a 1.906 60' time. I'm certain I can shave a bit more off. I was hoping for mid 12's. Might have to get a set of M/Ts in lieu of the Nitto's.

Good info here, thanks. I agree. My MPH on the 13.19 run was 107MPH. I had a 1.906 60' time. I'm certain I can shave a bit more off. I was hoping for mid 12's. Might have to get a set of M/Ts in lieu of the Nitto's.
    1.90 60 was on a set of Nitto's??? I'd say there is more in that car. 107 mph should put you somewhere in the mid 12's, probably 12.60 area if you bring the 60 foot down to the 1.70 range.
    I ran a 1.92 60 foot time on stock rubber in the 02 SS convertable on that run mentioned above.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

1.90 60 was on a set of Nitto's??? I'd say there is more in that car. 107 mph should put you somewhere in the mid 12's, probably 12.60 area if you bring the 60 foot down to the 1.70 range.
    I ran a 1.92 60 foot time on stock rubber in the 02 SS convertable on that run mentioned above.
    Yeah that was on Nitto's. I was trying to dump the clutch, which obviously I can't I'll be hitting the strip again come spring time and trying different launch tactics. I was told I needed to feather it out instead...like I did with the stockers...but just at higher RPM.

PS - Sorry to the OP. Wasn't trying to thread jack.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Yeah that was on Nitto's. I was trying to dump the clutch, which obviously I can't I'll be hitting the strip again come spring time and trying different launch tactics. I was told I needed to feather it out instead...like I did with the stockers...but just at higher RPM.

Correct Jon, I launch at roughly 5500RPM slipping the clutch slightly. Best 60' so far is 1.69 with consistent 1.74/1.75's on MT ET Street radials. Even with the MT ET' radials, dumping the clutch is going to blow the tires of with any decent amount of power. If you wanna dump the clutch, put the 9" to good use and buy a set of drag rims and a full slick

RED
    2002/Z28

I'm not completely confident that even those few changes will knock 1/2 second off your time. Catback may help a bit along with the free ramair mod, but a half second it won't do. It's hard to take advantage of drag radials while still running the stock converter, especially if the track is prepped well.
    On a good track I didn't even need drag radials with mine on the stock converter. Now with a converter it's a different story.

Your biggest improvements will come with the stall converter and a good tune. Headers and off road Y-pipe were only worth a tenth and 1 mph on either of my 4th gens so don't expect too much there.

When you put a good converter in the car, along with drag radials, it will run 12's all day long.
    .3 isn't a half second..Iam doing gears also I have the 273s. I have read on different threads about going from 273s-342s/373s will knock off .24-.34 in the 1/4. I have read also catback exhaust could knock off .12-.20 Iam gonna get it tuned. After I do the gear swap also. with just gears and catback that. .36-54 So that should be..12.83-13.01 in the 1/4..

When I have the extra cash I will be doing a 3500-3800 Vig or Yank Converter..Iam doing LT's/ORY next tho..

It will be alright don't think the worst. he wreaked because he was running late for work and he didn't let the window clear and he spun out and hit a tree..

RED
    2002/Z28

Its all good don't worry.. The mods I have added this winter I should be able to pick up .37 in the 1/4. Gears,Catback,P&P/Bump Stop mod TB,FRA,DR's,When I install the rear Iam gonna get it tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL-LS1 View Post
    .3 isn't a half second..Iam doing gears also I have the 273s. I have read on different threads about going from 273s-342s/373s will knock off .24-.34 in the 1/4. I have read also catback exhaust could knock off .12-.20 Iam gonna get it tuned. After I do the gear swap also. with just gears and catback that. .36-54 So that should be..12.83-13.01 in the 1/4..

When I have the extra cash I will be doing a 3500-3800 Vig or Yank Converter..Iam doing LT's/ORY next tho..
    You are going to need more than .3 Since you ran a .37 I said you'll need 1/2 second to be solidly in the 12's. Unless a one time .9999 is good enough for you then technically you need a .38 improvement to see a 12.99,,,that's only .12 away from a 1/2 second. When you figure in weather and DA numbers that ET can vary as much as .3 So start looking at 1/2 second or more to get the job done for a more realistic expectation rather than theoretical numbers formed into a math equation type of scenario. When it comes to dragracing and improving ET's, changing something that is said to get you 3 tenths, and then just hope you get 1 tenth out of it.
    Every car is going to react differently, and I don't believe all the internet hype either from my own experiences. I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, just saying don't get your hopes up that a gear change alone is going to give you that magic number. The catback may or may not help so much depending on what you are starting with in the first place.

It's nice to set goals, we all have them. All these supporting mods will help the car go faster when they are all working together. But there really isn't one magical mod by itself.
    If there were anything even close to that, for the automatic equipped 4th gen it would be a nice stall converter. Anyone here that has experience with that will tell you it's the single best mod done to even a stockish car that garners the most improvement.

Like I said,,,that alone with just headers put my car in the 12's with nothing else what so ever done to the car, with a 3820 lbs. race weight no less.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-20-2010 at 01:04 PM.

RED
    2002/Z28

You are going to need more than .3 Since you ran a .37 I said you'll need 1/2 second to be solidly in the 12's. Unless a one time .9999 is good enough for you then technically you need a .38 improvement to see a 12.99,,,that's only .12 away from a 1/2 second. When you figure in weather and DA numbers that ET can vary as much as .3 So start looking at 1/2 second or more to get the job done for a more realistic expectation rather than theoretical numbers formed into a math equation type of scenario. When it comes to dragracing and improving ET's, changing something that is said to get you 3 tenths, and then just hope you get 1 tenth out of it.
    Every car is going to react differently, and I don't believe all the internet hype either from my own experiences. I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, just saying don't get your hopes up that a gear change alone is going to give you that magic number. The catback may or may not help so much depending on what you are starting with in the first place.

It's nice to set goals, we all have them. All these supporting mods will help the car go faster when they are all working together. But there really isn't one magical mod by itself.
    If there were anything even close to that, for the automatic equipped 4th gen it would be a nice stall converter. Anyone here that has experience with that will tell you it's the single best mod done to even a stockish car that garners the most improvement.

Like I said,,,that alone with just headers put my car in the 12's with nothing else what so ever done to the car, with a 3820 lbs. race weight no less.
    I would be happy with a 12.999 My gear now is the 273's. My best 60ft last year was a 1.990 That was with a basicly stock car.. Ya Iam not saying a converter isn't the way to go because I will be doing a stall soon. But Iam doing LT's/ORY next tho. I run 1/8 mile more tho. There are 3 1/8 mile tracks to 1 1/4 mile track less than a hour away.

Just to add, putting the gears in first is a good thing. This will have an effect on the stall rating when you do a converter. Having gears in place first will help the converter manufacture build a converter better suited to your combo.

I would be happy with a 12.999 My gear now is the 273's. My best 60ft last year was a 1.990 That was with a basicly stock car.. Ya Iam not saying a converter isn't the way to go because I will be doing a stall soon. But Iam doing LT's/ORY next tho. I run 1/8 mile more tho. There are 3 1/8 mile tracks to 1 1/4 mile track less than a hour away.
    Not a bad 60 foot considering.... Your car runs pretty good for what it is.

RED
    2002/Z28

Not a bad 60 foot considering.... Your car runs pretty good for what it is.
    Thanks I ran it at 2 differant 1/8 mile tracks last year and its faster at one then the other.. The track elevation at one is 149 feet above sea level and the other is 300 ft above sea level and the 1/4 mile track I run at is 87ft above sea level and its the fastest at that track..
    Last edited by EVIL-LS1; 02-20-2010 at 01:25 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you also have to be careful adding up numbers individually. I talked to a guy in a cobra one time that had 550HP. The way he got that was because his car came with 390 plus he added a K&N filter for 25HP, a catback for 25HP, ect.ect.ect. Not that what you're doing is the same but just take those gain numbers as a wild ass guess. The track is where you'll find out what they really gave you.

RED
    2002/Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you also have to be careful adding up numbers individually. I talked to a guy in a cobra one time that had 550HP. The way he got that was because his car came with 390 plus he added a K&N filter for 25HP, a catback for 25HP, ect.ect.ect. Not that what you're doing is the same but just take those gain numbers as a wild ass guess. The track is where you'll find out what they really gave you.
    Thats alot of HP from just a K&N. Ya I now the only way to find out is take it to the track and find out how much the mods I did helped. Iam doing so when they open and when all this snow goes away..But I have read on thread that people had added Catbacks and changing gears from 273 and they took it to the track and that how much they pick up at the track...Thanks

RED
    2002/Z28

I got all the parts I ordered. Stall/B&M Super Cooler/Pacesetter Ceramic coated LT's/3"TSP ORY/160stat..

What do ya think it will help me in the 1/8th and 1/4 mile..

3000-3200 Circle D Stall....
    LT's/ORY........................
    Frost Tune.....................
    M/T DR's........................
    Soon to be installed
    373 Gears......................

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

mid 12s

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I'd say you will get your goal. And tell all those BS 1/8 mile tracks to double their dragstrip! I don't see the point in a 1/8 mile contest, but if it's all you have to race at, I guess it's better than street racing.

RED
    2002/Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I'd say you will get your goal. And tell all those BS 1/8 mile tracks to double their dragstrip! I don't see the point in a 1/8 mile contest, but if it's all you have to race at, I guess it's better than street racing.

My goal is low to mid 12s. I have a couple 1/4 mile tracks withend hour n half ride. Iam gonna run at them to get a 1/4 mile time.I like to do a little bit of that also street race.. By my best 1/8th mile time is like a 13.22-13.24 in the 1/4..

White
    1998 Z28 12.53@107.8

I got all the parts I ordered. Stall/B&M Super Cooler/Pacesetter Ceramic coated LT's/3"TSP ORY/160stat..

What do ya think it will help me in the 1/8th and 1/4 mile..

3000-3200 Circle D Stall....
    LT's/ORY........................
    Frost Tune.....................
    M/T DR's........................
    Soon to be installed
    373 Gears......................
    Mid 14's ,,,easily
    Just kidding !! Should be on the better side of the 12's .
    7.7-7.9 in the 1/8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information