Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You bet...the SSO will stand up to the fuel dilution and keep lubricating.
    You know somebody mentioned Royal Purple eating bearings earlier and I have to share...
    My buddy runs a NHRA fuel altered....He will not listen to anybody about anything...ran Royal Purple 0-10 weight crapola and ate push rods left and right. These things looked like they had been grinded down....metal on metal.....I got him a case of Amsoil 0-20
    yeah my old instructor has pro stock big nitrous motor 2500 hp just a $60,000 engine and just tried royal purple and just kept chewing bearing up after 2 to 3 runs guess it couldnt handle it needless to say he stop useing it and amsoil back in. royal purple sucks by the way thanks for the help it still hard to put and 0w30 in my car i dont know why maybe i just dont want to chew a bearing but i read all the info and research damn it i am kind of old school so that is why its hard but still will go with it

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LOL....I hear you.....and I understand.....but summon up all your courage not to put Kendall 40 weight in there and run the SSO man

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

Thanks for the info Sarge..next oil change is Amsoil..

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

so sarge, how do you feel about GC 0w30 these days? i noticed you didn't mention GC on the other page...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

GC was unique 2 years ago....had excellent base oil and add packs found in all SM rated oils today. No big deal and overpriced.

Artic White
    99 TA ,97 Jeep TJ(Dead)

Thanks Sarge, I've asked about this for years to everyone,mechanics included & you've explained it better than anyone. Great Post!

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well hell. Now I'm confused. I have ran Royal Purple since 1999 and had no problems with it. In fact I took the original motor out at 120K and it was as clean as can be. The bearings were perfect. Well that motor was replaced with 402 short block and a turbo added. I broke the motor in using regular 10-30w oil for about 1K miles. I put Royal Purple in and I have noticed some metal on my plug magnet. I dont know if it's the oil or what but now I have a case of Royal Purple sitting in my garage and afraid to use it. Thanks Sarge! You guys have talked about Amzoil and love it but I've heard the exact opposite here around a race shop I hang out at. They will not put the stuff in their motors at all. Everyone seems to agree that Red Line is a good oil.

Sarge, where did you perform your research? I thought I read a post of yours, or someones, about all the oils and the breakout of each. It could of been somewhere else but I'm just curious.

I have gone back and put regular Vavoline Racing 10-30w in my car for a little while longer. I'm thinking maybe I didn't let it break in good.

I was living the Royal Purple dream until Sarge came along and ruined it.....lol.....

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

U can research a little yourself after sarge told me what's up I started to research all independed lab test all where for amsoil it's all pretty interesting amsoil for me

Thumbs up Astm d-4172

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Well hell. Now I'm confused. I have ran Royal Purple since 1999 and had no problems with it. In fact I took the original motor out at 120K and it was as clean as can be. The bearings were perfect. Well that motor was replaced with 402 short block and a turbo added. I broke the motor in using regular 10-30w oil for about 1K miles. I put Royal Purple in and I have noticed some metal on my plug magnet. I dont know if it's the oil or what but now I have a case of Royal Purple sitting in my garage and afraid to use it. Thanks Sarge! You guys have talked about Amzoil and love it but I've heard the exact opposite here around a race shop I hang out at. They will not put the stuff in their motors at all. Everyone seems to agree that Red Line is a good oil.

Sarge, where did you perform your research? I thought I read a post of yours, or someones, about all the oils and the breakout of each. It could of been somewhere else but I'm just curious.

I have gone back and put regular Vavoline Racing 10-30w in my car for a little while longer. I'm thinking maybe I didn't let it break in good.

I was living the Royal Purple dream until Sarge came along and ruined it.....lol.....
    Here's a picture from a customer of mine who uses AMSOIL Dominator® Synthetic 10W-30 Racing Oil (RD30) in his 528 cubic inch Hemi enigne. He races it from time to time and hasn't had any oil realated issues.

CompSyn

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

So comsyn just order my 9 inch housing and waiting for my paycheck so I can become a perfered customer in your opinion is the sso 0w30 is the wAy to go. I know sarge likes 10w30 and he states early in the thread to go with the sso. So just see what u recommend I been doing research like crazy just asking to see whAt u think. I beat on my car and take it to the track but mantain very well. Damn oil why can't it be the same thanks in advance

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Subscribed

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Found this and thought it was a good read. It was from an independent oil tester.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Would of like to seen the tests of actual motors though.....just for the heat factor...
    Last edited by cailey37; 04-22-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Post Consumer be aware

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Found this and thought it was a good read. It was from an independent oil tester.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Would of like to seen the tests of actual motors though.....just for the heat factor...
    From what I’ve heard, that magazine later apologized for that article.

It’s important to note that Falex lubricity tester is not an approved test by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). Also notice how the Four-Ball Wear Test that Amsoil uses IS an approved test by the ASTM.

Check out this technical service bulletin from Amsoil on this issue:

Inadequate Demonstration Using Hand-Held Tests and Aftermarket Oil Additives.pdf - link

Besides the use of the hand held tester, this technical service bulletin also touches on the use of popular aftermarket motor oil additives like Prolong, Slick 50, ZMax, Duralube, Shell Castro and Valvoline.

So as mentioned in this forum before, buy good quality motor oil and don’t worry about aftermarket motor oil additives.

Then when looking at motor oil tests, look for tests that are approved by the American Petroleum Institute (API), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), and fore mentioned ASTM.

CompSyn

Thread Information